WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Instead of hiking the trail, with the unexpected random acts of kindness being a part of the trail experience, she has learned that she can ride this train all way to Maine, IF she can stay "in business" long enough. That is just wrong on so many levels....... but she isn't the first to do this and I'm sure won't be the last. Welcome to our world. Hummmm... what to do, what to do.....
    Yea, that train is gonna run out of track soon. During the peak season there's not a lot of trail magic in the north and now that it's past peak season I would not expect random magic at all. Now if she's got people who support with her she might get enough help to make it.

I met some people last year who were soliciting donations through a website (you could donate by PayPal), I don't see the difference here, people are willing to give if they choose.

On the other hand a group of 5 skipping out on a hostel after a few days stay is just wrong in my opinion, either stay and pay or don't stay. This is the kind of stuff that causes hostels to fold. This behavior is by no means limited to this family, it happens everywhere on the trail. Bob Peoples told me he's had his cash box emptied at Kincora!

At this point she's gonna have to flip since they have only 8 weeks to get to Katahdin and they seem to be doing about 10 miles a day. They'll be lucky to finish by December.

Anyway just my opinion.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Yea, that train is gonna run out of track soon. During the peak season there's not a lot of trail magic in the north and now that it's past peak season I would not expect random magic at all. Now if she's got people who support with her she might get enough help to make it.

I met some people last year who were soliciting donations through a website (you could donate by PayPal), I don't see the difference here, people are willing to give if they choose.

On the other hand a group of 5 skipping out on a hostel after a few days stay is just wrong in my opinion, either stay and pay or don't stay. This is the kind of stuff that causes hostels to fold. This behavior is by no means limited to this family, it happens everywhere on the trail. Bob Peoples told me he's had his cash box emptied at Kincora!

At this point she's gonna have to flip since they have only 8 weeks to get to Katahdin and they seem to be doing about 10 miles a day. They'll be lucky to finish by December.

Anyway just my opinion.
    You don't seriously think they're going to hike the entire trail do you? And if they do, more power to them.

Regarding cold weather gear. I read in the journal how they were cold on occasion early on. I'm sure they've bundled up some since then, but let's remember it's still summer, and they're not about to freeze to death. Can they get hypothermia? Sure, anyone can at any time.

You can pick apart ANYONE's hike and point out things they may be doing wrong. But you know what, they're out there learning to make do (regardless of so-called trail magic), exploring nature's wonders, and experiencing REAL trail magic, and you're all here criticizing.

But like "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011 says who cares, as long as there's free ice cream...

Damn Sly, just when I thought this thread was dead

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You don't seriously think they're going to hike the entire trail do you? And if they do, more power to them.

Regarding cold weather gear. I read in the journal how they were cold on occasion early on. I'm sure they've bundled up some since then, but let's remember it's still summer, and they're not about to freeze to death. Can they get hypothermia? Sure, anyone can at any time.

You can pick apart ANYONE's hike and point out things they may be doing wrong. But you know what, they're out there learning to make do (regardless of so-called trail magic), exploring nature's wonders, and experiencing REAL trail magic, and you're all here criticizing.

But like "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011 says who cares, as long as there's free ice cream...
    I don't know what their intent is but it is possible although not in a way I would want to do it.

My signature line "who cares, as long as there's free ice cream..." refers to some activities going on in Dalton, MA while I was there last year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quite Humbling to see Red Dog at this point

Any word on whether they are still hiking?

Journal Entries
    Images

I have talked to a couple of sobo's and they have not ran into them. Weren't they suppose to get off at Pearisburg anyway and drive a rented car to Maine and hike south?

They were supposed to stop in Daleville. I never heard from them.....

Quote Originally Posted by TOW View Post
    I have talked to a couple of sobo's and they have not ran into them. Weren't they suppose to get off at Pearisburg anyway and drive a rented car to Maine and hike south?
    Guess the donations for the rental didn't come through...

i sincerely hope they've gone home. wherever that may be

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I agree...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Me too, but I am a bit apprehensive about their well being. The thought has hit me with all the publicity they got from this thread, and it not being positive, that some predator may have stepped into the picture and did them harm.

Ohh... I didn't think of that possiblilty. I don't think that could have happened TOW. I think someone that had contact with them would have reported them missing or something. She had a friend that was in constant contact with her, I believe.

Anybody heard anything new regarding their journey?

Quote Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
    Anybody heard anything new regarding their journey?

I have not......

Now that I'm back in PA, and around the trail and getting out there a bit to stay in shape, I wanted to say that I thought a lot about these people while up in NH this past weekend and down at Ecville today and hope they are still out there as there is a lot of beautiful weather right now.
    I'd love to go out and meet them if they are in or around PA.
    So, will check back here from time to time. (sorry, can't be a regular on WB right now as the weather is perfect for hiking and tennis and, well just about everything)
    Thailand is often too hot.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

For those of you who really care about this family. Their house in La was flooded with the Hurricane. They are home dealing now with no home to live in. So now this tread can actually go to rest.

Sweet spot,

Thanks for the info. Prayers their way

Man, I hope I stay under the radar on my thru (attempt). I don't want to become the subject of a thread on WB. People that have never met me talkin' bout me as though they do. Maybe I'll bag my kilt, and just bring a picture of my dog to cut the risk. On second thought, I'll wear my family tartan and bring Angus. Maybe I'll be enough of a distraction, that some poor family will get left alone to hike their hike.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
++ New Posts ++