WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Vegan

Default Vegan

Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it is to upkeep a Vegan diet one the trail? Carting food around to places to eat in trail towns?

If you go to the Cooking and Food forum and do a search with vegan as key word, you'll find lots of threads. Here's one: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ighlight=vegan There are others which include both vegan and vegetarian.

I'm not trying to be funny - this is a serious response - but you be surprised at how many vegans develop a taste for cheeseburgers at some point during their hike.

Images

I did two thrus with a vegan. She had no problems finding food for the trail and in town. It's not that big of an issue. And no....she never went the cheeseburger route!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'm not trying to be funny - this is a serious response - but you be surprised at how many vegans develop a taste for cheeseburgers at some point during their hike.
    I met a couple of guys at Woods Hole who had been vegetarians but gave it up during their hike.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    agree. met quite a few over the years that gave up the vegan thing after a few weeks of walkin'. for most it was the first time in their life doing any real exercise

Images

Musta had fun in the privy after that first cheeseburger.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

good point! i agree with your!the information I’m sending it to some friends!

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Seriously, I've never hiked long enough to develop the famed hiker appettite. However, after one day of strenuous hiking, I develop an unnatural craving for a greasy cheeseburger!

Images

I think mail drops are still apt for a vegan hiker - lots of Primal Strips, protein shake powder, pre-dehydrated stuff from home, etc. You may end up eating a lot of junk food in towns - - Pringles are probably vegan - not necessarily good for you. A vegetarian that eats dairy and occasionally foil bags of tuna (like me) has a much easier time of it.

Thanks for the advice guys... Not able to do mail drops so guess im eating a lot of junk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by v0v18 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys... Not able to do mail drops so guess im eating a lot of junk
    Not necessary to eat a lot of junk when being a vegan. In fact, if you look at most thru's diet when actually on the trail it's more vegan than not. Potatoes, Liptons rice/pasta meals, stuffing, ramen, etc. You can do fine on a vegan diet.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Not necessary to eat a lot of junk when being a vegan. In fact, if you look at most thru's diet when actually on the trail it's more vegan than not. Potatoes, Liptons rice/pasta meals, stuffing, ramen, etc. You can do fine on a vegan diet.

you have to use the potatoes without cheese, the pasta sides without dairy, etc. - yes it's possible but it is a lot easier if you can mail drop primal strips, dehydrated tofu or seitan, protein shakes, etc. - - I'm a vegetarian and that in and of itself is occasionally a challenge but I would say that a vegan diet is possible but really hard without mail drops or a lot of junk food - - probably both.

Journal Entries
    Images

potato chips and other junk foods would have helped the bail!

Ok papa D you are now my best source.....!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    potato chips and other junk foods would have helped the bail!

Ok papa D you are now my best source.....!
    sounds like you're in trouble if that's the case WOO. Hey - what's up - aren't you having some body part replaced this month? Your knee or something? Getting some "good" drugs?

There is a book called "Hiking the Dream" that is written by a vegan thru-hiker. If I remember correctly, she includes meal ideas in the back. My guess is your greatest challenge will be to get in your protein.

[QUOTE= My guess is your greatest challenge will be to get in your protein.[/QUOTE] Peanut butter and bread= complete protein. Not a problem.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I met a hiker named Plant Man he is a strict vegan. You can read his journal. He had drop boxes. I was a vegetarian when I hiked now I am a vegan. It is very hard in the trail towns and at the hikers feeds. To stay true to your diet. I can be done The pasta sides have dried milk in it and is processed. Most of the normal hiker food is not for vegans. You might have to reconsider having a bounce box. Good luck

++ New Posts ++