WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lightweight 20 degree bag recommendations

I am looking for a lightweight 20 degree bag/quilt for a thru hike. I presently have a rectangle synthetic Northface Allegheny 40 degree bag at 2.8 lbs. What I like about the bag is that I don't feel confined and the bag has 2 zippers (one at the feet) so I can unzip the whole bag as a blanket or just unzip the bottom of the bag if my feet get too warm. I like throwing damp socks in the bag and waking up in the AM with dry socks.

However, I need to get a 20 degree bag and would like a lighter bag- possibly down. I don't like to be confined in a mummy bag (I am a side sleeper) but would consider it if I can open it as a quilt and if it gets too cold, use it mummy style to keep warm.

1) Can you still dry damp socks inside a down bag?

2) Anyone have any experience with a Go Lite sleeping bag or quilt? I am looking at a 3 season, 20 degree quilt. The only thing I don't like about the product is that the footbox doesn't open up at all.

2) I looked at Mountain Laurel's synthetic Spirit quilt but it's 2 months backordered. Anyone have this bag and how does it do in 20 degree temps?

Any other recommendations/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Journal Entries

www.enlightenedequipment.com

1) yes you can, but you would be stupid too

Images

Western Mountaineering Ultralight. IMHO, best 20 degree bag on the market.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    www.enlightenedequipment.com

1) yes you can, but you would be stupid too
    Definitely look at the quilts here. I just finished a summer trip using one (30F rating and it did very well in damp snow at 30F) and it performed better than any expectations.

Drying clothing in a down bag is pretty risky but it can be done with utmost care, like one pair of socks or a pair of gloves and only in very low relative humidity conditions.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Zpacks has kind of hybrid quilt/bag with 900 power fill. I like the looks of it but have not used it. I use a western Mountaineering ultralight. I really like it too.

Images

I've dried clothes successfully by using a vapor barrier. I've never had drier clothes in the morning on the trail. The last time I did it my bag was slightly damp from consecutive moist nights, but dried out by morning.

I have an older Golite quilt. I think it's colder than it should be. Supposedly the current quilts have more down. I do wish that the footbox opened up. I have an EnLIGHTened quilt and love how the foot box opens. I think a footbox that opens is the only way to go if you're financially restricted since it allows the quilt to be suitable for a much wider range of temperatures. EnLIGHTened does synthetic quilts too, but iirc Tim has said he might stop making them since demand is low.

Check out zpack for a quilt.http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml
    I don't have one but if the price doesn't put you off then his quilts may be the ticket.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Default HammockGear quilts are unbeatable!

Also look into quilts at HammockGear.com. They make fine quality top quilts for hammocks, but it is just a quilt, and many non-hammockers purchase these as well. The product you ar looking for is called the Burrow, and comes in 0°, 20° or 40° varients; all are made with 900fp down (extremely high quality). For and extra $8 you can add one ounce of overstuffed down, which roughly equates to an extra 5° of rating. Standard for the footbox is snaps (sewn available on request), so you can open it up to use as a blanket. They will also make it in a wider model (preferred for side sleepers) and your choice of colors, inside and out.

I own and use 2 Burrows. The first is a 20° with 1 oz of overstuff (rating it roughly 15°). Remember this is a "comfort" rating. I have been warm in this bag at 20°F, and feel I could camp in temps as low as 10° without having to add additional thermal sleepwear. This quilt weighs 23.4 oz in the stuff sack. I also own a 40° Burrow, with 1 oz of overstuff. My son has this one right now at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico. He had it in NC a 6 weeks ago, when the temps dropped to the mid 40s. He refused to use it then because it was too warm. This Burrow is a meager 17.2 oz!

These are not cheap, but when you consider that every quilt is made to order and is of the highest quality imaginable, they are a bargin! Customer service from these folks is off the chart, as well.

http://www.hammockgear.com/index.php...9a11340ad10477
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 08-08-2012 at 08:36.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I have three MARMOT down bags rated for 40F, 15F, -20F respectively. I am very happy with their performance and weight.

I have two JacksRBetter quilts, Old Rag Mountain and Hudson River. Also very happy with their performance and weight.

Many thanks

I may have to investigate hammock gear more. I like the fact that you can ask for velcro, snapped, or sewn foot box and their prices are reasonable.

Go Lite has a 50% off sale now and items are coming back in stock. Just not too sure of their actual temperature ratings compared to other companies.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

I have always wished i could find a down quilt, around 7' X 4" no zipper, very thin like one of the nice down sweaters for those 45+ nights. Never the less, cannot beat a western mountaineering.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cknight View Post
    I have always wished i could find a down quilt, around 7' X 4" no zipper, very thin like one of the nice down sweaters for those 45+ nights. Never the less, cannot beat a western mountaineering.
    cknight - that's easy. Most cottage manufacturers take custom orders and do order tweaks. Joe and Sheryl from ZPacks made me a quilt with every detail and modification I asked for.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I love my Montbell down hugger...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I had a WM Sycamore and it is awesome, but I gave to my sister to get a WM Badger 15.. I have tried Big Agnes bags, Kelty bags, and Mountain Hardwear bag. WM is hands down warmer and loftier. I do put my socks and other items in the bottom to dry overnight, but only when they are a little damp, not soaked.

I also have to give my endorsement to hammockgear.com. I also own the 20* burrow but mine is made of M50 making it a bit lighter(19.2oz in the stuff sack). They do all kinds of custom work. All you have to do is ask and more than likely you will receive.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I have a Feathered Friends brand Swallow 20 degree down bag.
    I also have two Mont Bell UL Super Spiral bags, a #3 and #5. I am love the MB bags and might just sell the FF Swallow and buy a MB UL SS #1.
    http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?cat_id=796
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cknight View Post
    EnLightened Equipment made mine to order. Their long slim model is 7'x4' exactly. The 40F version is $175 and weighs 16.5 oz. They might leave off the 12" plastic foot box zipper if you ask them, but I thought it was a nice feature for the weight.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I've dried damp socks in my down quilt in the past, didn't seem to cause any problems. I put one sock in each back pocket when going to bed. But as to 20 degree bags, you have to compare loft to see if you'll reach the 20 degree rating. Here is a list of the four recommendations listed above:
    Zpacks 2.25 in
    Hammock gear 2.5 in
    enlightenequip 2.75 in
    Western Mtn 5.00 in
    Mountain Laurel doesn't have a 20 degree bag, only down to 28 degrees, plus they don't publish their loft (but they do have excellent stuff)
    Golite doesn't publish their loft at all. Can't compare them to other brands as a result
    These are all good bags/quilts, but the Western Mtn is going to be the warmest, with a 5 in loft. There are other criteria to look at, but I think the actual loft is the most important. One of the things to compare with loft is to see how much down they put into the bag, but it's harder to compare as the above bags have 800, 850 and 900 fill down - not sure what the Western Mtn has in that they use 16 oz of down but seem to get almost twice the fill power of the other brands. I think one reason may be Western Mtn puts more down above the sleeper than the other brands do since putting a lot of down below you is wasted down, it gets compressed by your body. On the other hand, if you sleep in a mummy bag and roll on your stomach, the bag shifts with you and so whats on the "bottom" of the bag becomes more important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++