WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Hike somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    I live in Knoxville. Been in the smokies alot but never with a dog. What are some trails a medium husky could handle?
    I live in knoxville too. I feel like you should know you can't have dogs in the smokies, but oh well. If you're looking for some other trails that are near our area you should check out Frozen Head State Park, great place...or Big South Fork, wouldn't take the dog on Honey Creek Loop...Obed Wild and Scenic Area...or you could go over to Nantahala, Virgin Falls State Natural Area, Fall Creek Falls...the options are endless. Enjoy!

MR is 21 I think you and your dog should head south to Joyce Kilmer Slickrock area....very easy trails....I wouldn't even bother with extra food or water for you or your dog....just find a trail and start walking!....dogs are most welcome there!....The rules nor the trails are weeek or lameee have fun!
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    how about the trail south of fontana and north of stand bear.
    If "the trail" is the AT, you can take your dog. One thing you do need to know. I was hiking in the AT south of Fontana and came up on a big rattle snake. If you dog gets bit, you will be in the market for a new dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    dogs aren't allowed on trails in the smokys
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

Some people just can't accept rejection!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Some people just can't accept rejection!
    I thrive on it.....

Journal Entries
    Images

OK - I tried a couple of things then went back to Trimble and many trails have accumiliated on the intenet with the Backpacker Pro Software that stores trails on the cloud...You can go to Backpacker type a zip like Knoxville 37902 and move the map around the outside of the city and Icons will show the trails and just click on them for details.... Loads of forests and other places to go.

http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/Search/#37902
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I think you are weak and lame for assuming I'd break rules. I don't even have a dog. Just trying to help a friend.

^^ only kidding of course. But yes I obey rules!

Images

I honestly think that the no dog policy, at least on the AT in GSMNP, is stupid. If you're going to allow horses in the backcountry, who absolutely destroy trails, and have tieoffs located directly uphill from water sources so their waste runs into drinking water, then the least you can do is allow dogs, which have far less of an impact on the area. Not to mention, most dog owners support LNT with their dog's waste. You ever seen a rider with a garbage bag full of horse**** on the trail?
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    I honestly think that the no dog policy, at least on the AT in GSMNP, is stupid. If you're going to allow horses in the backcountry, who absolutely destroy trails, and have tieoffs located directly uphill from water sources so their waste runs into drinking water, then the least you can do is allow dogs, which have far less of an impact on the area. Not to mention, most dog owners support LNT with their dog's waste. You ever seen a rider with a garbage bag full of horse**** on the trail?
    The US Park Service has a much different reason for not allowing canines, has nothing to do with trail damage and it's detailed in their their public information. I've covered thousands of miles and have NEVER seen a dog hiker pick up, or bury, their dogs poop. A few times I have seen a dog-hiker sling it into the woods with a trowel, mostly it's left where it drops, usually around shelters and open grassy areas and/or camp sites.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    Have you ever seen an off-leash horse harassing the wildlife?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Have you ever seen an off-leash horse harassing the wildlife?
    Good point. I know your reply wasn't addressed to me but this reminds me of seeing a hikers dog spook some horses, with riders mounted on the PCT, a lady got tossed off and was hurt. I know this doesn't apply to the GSMNP but this along with numerous other reasons is why I prefer hikers keep their dog(s) leashed, which is rarely seen. Unleashed dogs will romp in water sources, poop anywhere, harass wildlife as well as hikers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++