WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    Many hikers already know this, but for those who don't: Do not share any prescription painkillers on the trail! No matter how well intentioned it is - if the hiker has an adverse reaction or later is severely hurt from a fall or whatever while it is still in their system, you can be criminally or civilly charged or at absolute worst - charged with manslaughter or intent to distribute.
    unless you forced the person to take the RX medicine, i don't see how any of those 'charges' would ever lead to a conviction. the injured party could sue you, but again, i doubt any judge or jury would render that decision based on giving someone a pain pill.
    and nothing in that scenario comes close to what 'intent to distribute' applies to.

that being said, i bring ibuprofen, immodium (aka butt putty), sudafed, benadryl, and gold bond MEDICATED!

Images

Naproxen is another NSAID like ibuprofen. The dosage is much lower - one pill twice a day is enough for me (and I think the limit is 3 per day on the OTC stuff.) Naproxen has long term side effects, particularly with gastro stuff, so it's not as common, but I like it for hiking because it works for me and is many fewer pills to carry and take. My wife can't take it, even low doses give her serious stomach problems.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Leave the snake bite kit at home

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pheldozer View Post
    unless you forced the person to take the RX medicine, i don't see how any of those 'charges' would ever lead to a conviction. the injured party could sue you, but again, i doubt any judge or jury would render that decision based on giving someone a pain pill.
    and nothing in that scenario comes close to what 'intent to distribute' applies to.

that being said, i bring ibuprofen, immodium (aka butt putty), sudafed, benadryl, and gold bond MEDICATED!
    Plus... Prove I gave it to them. You give a sick person a pill, odds are they probably won't remember your trail name, and likely never your real name. Not something I would worry about.

Also not something I would do. I don't carry anything prescription with me. It's all OTC... Benadryl, aspirin, pepcid. That's it. Oh, and a couple of melatonin brownies re-wrapped in a ziplock bag. One for me to go to sleep, and one to knock out the a-hole that steals my brownies.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

I carry heroin.....when I can afford it,....but usually Aleeve,Tums,Bayer aspirin,Advil and Ambian a few Xanax and a few Hydros I figure if I get hurt and can't walk I'm having a party until someone comes and gets me....
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Plus... Prove I gave it to them. You give a sick person a pill, odds are they probably won't remember your trail name, and likely never your real name. Not something I would worry about.
    yes officer, it was a man with a beard. he was wearing a backpack and hiking boots, and smelled like a homeless person. he handed me the pill, mumbled something about trail magic and started laughing maniacally

Hi...

My Doc recently prescribed Tramadol (genaric for Ultram) for my arthritic spine pain. Evidently they work very good, as I've never had to take one since I got them...!!

Hi...

My Doc recently prescribed Tramadol (generic for Ultram) for my arthritic spine pain, to be taken as needed. Evidently they work quite well, as I've never had to take one...!!

DPH
    ethanol
    nicotine
    caffeine (gum)

Images

Naproxen or Ibuprofen with Diphenhydramine
    Diphenhydramine
    Omeprazole
    Ferrous Sulfate
    Ascorbic Acid
    Nicotine
    Aspirin
    Nitro Glycerine if I can get my hands on it
    Hydrocodone/APAP
    Epi pen if I can get my hands on one

I carry a lot of extra stuff though because I'm trained in medicine and have a personal/moral obligation to treat anyone with aliments that I may come across. I've also carried suture kits, scalpels and stuff to sterilize before.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    Diphenhydramine
    Omeprazole
    Ferrous Sulfate
    Ascorbic Acid
    Nicotine
    Aspirin
    Hydrocodone/APAP

I carry a lot of extra stuff though because I'm trained in medicine and have a personal/moral obligation to treat anyone with aliments that I may come across. I've also carried suture kits, scalpels and stuff to sterilize before.
    This is only because you were the last post but I was intrigued - your 29! not 50!
    why nicotine? Patches are available....
    Why do you feel you need nitro?
    Hydrocodone - is a prescribed pain killer and reduction of coughing...
    Just go to a GP and tell them what you are doing and ask... if there's a relationship they do it. If not - go to another...

I am just asking And if its personal I will understand - like I said very interesting post.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    This is only because you were the last post but I was intrigued - your 29! not 50!
    why nicotine? Patches are available....
    Why do you feel you need nitro?
    Hydrocodone - is a prescribed pain killer and reduction of coughing...
    Just go to a GP and tell them what you are doing and ask... if there's a relationship they do it. If not - go to another...

I am just asking And if its personal I will understand - like I said very interesting post.
    I carry things to use in the field, not on myself. If I come across a fellow hiker having chest pain, that NTG may very well save their life. I'm qualified to administer it. Most of my med kit is intended to use on others, not me. As for nicotine, I'm a smoker, I carry cigarettes. But a small amount of tobacco under a bandage covering a bee sting can work wonders.

I've always been a believer that your med kit isn't for you, it's for others. However, in the military, we learned that our med kit was for someone else to use on us. I personally want to be prepared in any situation that I may stumble upon. I'm often more concerned with the well being of others than myself. I can often be found on the trail taking a look at people's ailments, especially feet, and treating/recommending treatments. It's just in my nature to be a caregiver.
    May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

Monkey balm is another good thing to carry.
    Or Tiger balm if you can't find monkey balm (Tiger is stronger but monkey works fine)
    I always have a few aspirin too.

If I got off the trail for rolling an ankle, I'd have quit every day.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries
    Images

SO Here is where we appear to be so far.......

Acetazolamide Higher elevations

Ascorbic Acid Vitamins or avoiding Scurvy?
    Ambian Sleep Aid
    Aspirin Blood Thinner some pain reduction
    Bismuth subsalicylate.
    caffeine (gum)
    cortisone cream
    Diphenhydramine Allergy
    Doxycycline Lyme disease.
    DPH
    Ethanol
    Famotidine - both as an antacid and (an off-label use) to potentiate the diphenhydramine for use in insect bites or poison ivy.

Ferrous Sulfate
    Hydrocodone/APAP related to Codeine
    Ibuprofen
    Immodium
    Loperamide
    Naproxen
    Nicotine
    Nitro Glycerine Heart Medicine

Omeprazole Long term acid reducer – daily...
    Oxycodone Pain Reduction
    Sudafed Sinus pain and pressure.
    Tramadol (genaric for Ultram) for my arthritic spine pain
    Tums Short term acid reduction....
    Xanax
    Zyrtec 24 hour allergy med

Antibiotic cream
    Epi pen
    Hand sanitizer
    Nasal decongestant spray
    Throat lozenges – hard candy would work
    and antibiotic cream
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thanks WOO for the drug summary, and this is a great thread.

I will decide what to take WITH me, and what to bounce, and what to have ready to ship.
    Yes, 3 lists for me.

I will definitely have 7-10 days worth of Doxycycline with me.

For wounds:
    soap and water
    peroxide in paste-form packaged in squeeze tube
    tri-antibiotic paste in squeeze pkg/tube
    bandages including band-aids of different size, gauze, tape (including duct-tape), butterfly
    suture needle w/dental floss for stitching wound closed
    iodine.

From experience, I carry more of the above than anything else. I do carry small amounts of other medication, such as benydryl, aspirin/aleve and digestive track meds. First-aid kits are designed around the trip you will be taking.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

WOO: You've got some things listed multiple times. Diphenhydramine, DPH, Benadryl are the same drug. Imodium and loperamide are the same drug.

Winds: I wouldn't carry doxycycline, I'd get it after the Lyme diagnosis. You don't have to start it immediately. (And if I needed doxycycline, I'd need to be off trail until I bought some heavy-duty sunscreen. That stuff makes a lot of people horribly sun-sensitive.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Winds: I wouldn't carry doxycycline, I'd get it after the Lyme diagnosis. You don't have to start it immediately. (And if I needed doxycycline, I'd need to be off trail until I bought some heavy-duty sunscreen. That stuff makes a lot of people horribly sun-sensitive.
    There's a good deal of new research that has come out recently.

They now know and prescribe 1 day increased dosage to entirely knock out infected persons. This works IDEALLY as soon as possible to contraction.

I won't go into my age or details, but I haven't had a cold in 8 years. I also know and understand my body. If I get anything outside of a cold, flu (even strong), or food poisoning, I'll know it rather quickly. Then I'll wish to have the option to do something about it immediately and NOT wait until it forces downtime, or worse, getting off the trail permanently for the season. I've been reading about some sidelined THIS year, it isn't pretty and potentially very serious. And it's only going to get worse, not better due to the weather as you know.

Yes, the disease can be knocked out with a 7-10 day schedule of meds even weeks following contraction, but I won't wish to wait 4 days (or longer) until I can get to the meds, or someone can prescribe me what I knew I should have had at hand in the first place.

Doxycycline is CHEAP and EASY for me to get now, or upfront, so why put that off for any reason?

Lyme disease is so very serious, it's in MY best interest to be educated and prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Veetack View Post
    Diphenhydramine
    Omeprazole
    Ferrous Sulfate
    Ascorbic Acid
    Nicotine
    Aspirin
    Hydrocodone/APAP

what acute ailment is the ferrous sulfate for?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Thanks WOO for the drug summary, and this is a great thread.

I will decide what to take WITH me, and what to bounce, and what to have ready to ship.
    Yes, 3 lists for me.

I will definitely have 7-10 days worth of Doxycycline with me.
    If you start it you must finish it.... and my doc gives me 30 day supplies. Its a minimum of 15 days should you get a deer tick bite - not a dog tic.... I take the spray and leave the Dox at home.

Woo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++