WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default New Jersey Loops (or close by loops)

A buddy of mine just moved to New Jersey. We are looking for a 3,4, or 5 day loop in the surrounding area. He is living in the Bound Brook/Hillsborough/Bridgewater area. We don't mind driving a little bit from there. We hope to incorporate the A.T somehow. Does anyone know of any good loops? If so, please share. All info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Harriman State Park in NY has near endless loops, and a section of AT. Just over the state line.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I would also recommend harriman. Any local REI or similar would have the Harriman and Bear Mountain maps. The AT is very punchy terrain within the park but it is rather beautiful there for being so close to NY. Plenty of bears, deer and turkey if you are quiet and plenty of lakes and views otherwise. I normally go up there to escape for a weekend by train but there is more than enough to explore over however many days you have.

Other non-AT ideas: Catskills

The pine barrens are full of loops to walk. There's also the Batona Trail which is a 50 mile hiking trail starting just West of LBI.

Bing Loop hikes in NJ....tons of hikes. Now if your wanting to do some over nighters, you'll need to be stealthy in NJ, as it is not a friendly over nighter hiking state.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'll check out all mentioned above. If anyone else has recommendations, please reply. We don't mind driving couple of hours to get to where the trail heads are. Again, we are looking for loops near NJ which hopefully include the AT. If driving to NY or somewhere else is the case, we can do that. Thanks again everyone!

I hate that I can't edit posts..

Edit...Does the AT and Long Path connect or cross at any point? Would it possible to make a loop with the two by themselves or by adding another section/loop?

Quote Originally Posted by whywoogy View Post

Edit...Does the AT and Long Path connect or cross at any point? Would it possible to make a loop with the two by themselves or by adding another section/loop?
    The trails in upper NJ where the AT is has plenty of Blue Blazes for you to back track so you don't have to take the same trail back, there are so many variations that make it all but endless. Do you have a AT Map of NJ, check some of these out

www.nynjtc.org/view/hike

Post Script; for a small donation to White Blaze, you can edit posts, it can be as little as 10 bucks, or whatever you like.

Oops, almost forgot, yes the two trails intersect, and are one and the same for a bit. I think in Harriman State park???
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 08-09-2012 at 22:57.

The Long Path comes close to the AT in Harriman near the Lemon Squeezer but then they part. It isn't really practical to make a loop that includes time on both.
    If you only have one car, I'd suggest getting a shuttle from DWG north in to NJ or south to PA and walk back to your car.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsusie View Post
    The Long Path comes close to the AT in Harriman near the Lemon Squeezer but then they part. It isn't really practical to make a loop that includes time on both.
    If you only have one car, I'd suggest getting a shuttle from DWG north in to NJ or south to PA and walk back to your car.
    I have to disagree. A quick look at the NYNJTC map shows several options of varying length that would include other trails, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I have to disagree. A quick look at the NYNJTC map shows several options of varying length that would include other trails, as well.

Is this the map your referring to?
    http://www.nynjtc.org/product/harrim...ountain-trails

Anyone ever use this map? I haven't found much info online for what I'm looking for and I'm thinking about purchasing this. Anyone know of a free copy by any chance? I have found 2 day loops and many point to point hikes but I have not found anyway to see a map (overhead) view of any of the trails to see which ones I can link together. As always, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That's it, and it is excellent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whywoogy View Post

you can loop using the AT, LP and SRT (shawngunk ridge trail) but thats a longer hike than you are looking for.

There is a 5 and 7 mile loop in Hillsborough, the preserve is called Sourland...
    http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/p...tpreserve.html

Its a good hike, nice scenery, and not a lot of people do the long loop, so its not crowded. I go there often.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    you can loop using the AT, LP and SRT (shawngunk ridge trail) but thats a longer hike than you are looking for.
    How long of a loop is it, miles/days (generally speaking of course)? Also, do you happen to have any .gpx files of said loop?

Images

Have you checked out this site? I hike at Muscontecong on occasion. usually no one around.. PS I work in Bridgewater...
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Sorry, here's the link. I no longer donate, so I cannot edit....
    http://www.njhiking.com/best_hikes_in_nj.php
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Go BIG! 5 days in 74 miles averages out to 15 mpd and you have the entire AT done in NJ. There you go. Not a loop but certainly something to consider especially if you went NOBO to end closer to where your friend in NJ lives. You get to take in DWG, Mt Tammany, side trip to the Old Indian, Buttermilk Falls(if it's flowing), Sunfish Pond, Kittatiny Ridge, Catfish Fire Tower on the ridge overlooking Culver Lake, High PT, views of Greenwood lake straddling the NJ/NY border, Harriman SP, the Lemon Squeezer, etc

The book Toolshed recommended is the best I've found for NJ hiking loops but most of the loops listed in that book are about 3 days or less. I say Go Big and do the AT in NJ end to end.

You might also look further into something utilizing all or part of the 35 mile or so Shawagunk Ridge Trail with connects the AT at High PT with the Long path. "The Gunks" are a decent hike especially if you catch it at leaf peeper season.

Communicate your loop idea to those at the NJ/NY Trail Conference and I'm sure they will offer more suggestions too.

++ New Posts ++