WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Inca Trail Gear

Default Inca Trail Gear

Hi All,
    I'll be hiking the Inca Trail the second week of Sept and have read conflicting opinions on what gear is needed. I would appreciate any advice on what outerwear to pack and what degree bag to use. Looking to limit what I bring on the trail. Thanks!

I can't help you with gear but have a question for you. I'll be in Cusco and Machu Picchu a week ahead of you, not hiking the Inca Trail but plenty of walking.

What are you doing to acclimate to the altitude?

I've been reading online what I could find and it seems altitude sickness is a lack of oxygen in the body and further oxygen is carried around the body by red blood cells. Hence building red blood cells may (not will) help avoid altitude sickness. Two supplements for building red blood cells are iron and vitamin B12. I will be taking GNC Women's Iron Complete (I have no financial interest in GNC) which has iron, vitamin B12 and a couple of other things for 10 days prior and during my trip. I don’t think iron toxicity will be a problem as I am vegetarian and the tablets are 30 mgs, well under the 45 mg per day toxic warning levels. Hopefully it will be helpful though.

I also read that an electrolyte drink can help alleviate symptoms once they have begun so I'll be bringing a Gatorade (I have no financial interest in Gatorade either) mix to add to water. Apparently it has to do with fast acting carbs.
    Have fun on your trip!

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    What are you doing to acclimate to the altitude?
    Coca leaves and charcoal if you want to do it the right (local) way. There will be numerous people at the airport selling bagged leaves when you land in Cusco. Take a pinch of the charcoal and chew it with the leaves. They will also offer coca tea and perhaps leaves at most hotels. Yes, it helps. Yes, it's legal in Peru. No, you absolutely should *not* take any back with you on the plane to the US. If, for whatever reason, you are uncomfortable with the traditional method you can buy medicine for "soroche" (most likely Gravol or Diamox) at any pharmacy in Peru (often found in Wong or Plaza Vea supermarkets) - probably easiest to buy it in Lima if you have a day there, as Cusco is a lot less built up and harder to find things.

You will definitely want to bring electrolyte powder with you, and while water is available it definitely needs to be purified. Remember when you're in town (e.g., Cusco) the water is often turned off at night, so you probably won't be able to shower, fill water bottles, flush the toilet, etc. This can be especially tough since you'll need a lot more water than usual, so bring and keep filled a few extra liter water storage containers. You can also expect to feel colder than normal due to the altitude and already cool air, so be prepared for cold nights. You will definitely want a hat. Another note, the train for the trail head (same one that heads to Aguas Calientes/Macchu Picchu) leaves well before the ass crack of dawn, and the train station is in a dangerous part of town. The hour of switch backs getting out of town is fun though.

Use sunscreen. As chilly as it may feel, the sun will fry you up fast there.
    Last edited by scree; 08-09-2012 at 20:40.

Images

I did that trail last November. It will be cooler for you in September 40's to 70's.

I made a YouTube video of my trek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXyL5...&feature=g-upl

These are the must haves in my opinion:

Fleece, a couple short and long sleeved shirts. (I don't wear cotton), pants that zip to shorts, extra socks, hat, sunglasses, light gloves, light rain/wind jacket. Purchase a poncho for a buck when you get there. Light sandals or comfortable shoes for around camp. Bandanas, something to carry three litters of water. You need to go light.

As far as a sleeping bag our porters carried ALL major gear. Sleeping bags, tents, cooking gear, food... basically everything. Double check on that. You can't get in without a guide service and I would guess most will provide your bag. I used Pachamama. They were great.

Let me know I can answer any questions. I'd be happy to help.

Images

For altitude:
    unless you've been to altitude before, you won't know how well you respond;
    take it easy for a couple of days in Cuzco, the longer you have to adjust to the altitude they better you'll feel;
    if you get altitude sickness, descend if possible;
    stay very well hydrated;
    learn the symptoms of cerebral and pulmonary edema;
    be careful of hygiene and food safety (it's best to eat only food that is served HOT in temp);
    bring meds for diarrhea;
    ask your doctor about diamox.

For me, I went straight from sea level to 3000m and was a bit short of breath but not sick.
    After a couple days at 3000m, we went to 4000m to start a trek. I was very headachy and kind of nauseous; my companion was fine. In the morning we hitched a ride down. After descending about 300m I was completely fine and walked 15 miles down. A couple days later we took a tour bus to 5000m and I was completely fine and my companion was sick from altitude.

You ought to be able to find weather info and equipment recommendations online at one of the guide services. Probably whatever sleeping bag you have will work.

Thanks P-train. That helps a lot. I was really trying to avoid buying a light weight down jacket as many suggested I do. We have arranged for a porter, but I am going to bring our own bags. I have a 20 degree bag for myself and a 35 for my husband with a liner. Is that warm enough?
    And to add to the altitude aclimatize question posted by perrymk this is what I've read and decided to do:
    Ginko Biloba supplements 120mg 2x a day starting 2 weeks prior to hike. (studies claim it helps)
    Diamox 125 mg 2x a day starting 24 hours prior to altitude change
    Ibuprofen 600 mg 4x day
    Drink lots of water and Gatorade while in Cusco (as mentioned gatorade is supposed to work wonders)
    Eat plenty of carbs and try to avoid caffeine and alcohol (although I am having a pisco sour!)
    And of course train prior to the hike. Although from what i've read altitude sickness is genetic, but it can't hurt to workout
    We are also bringing along Dexamethasone 4mg to be taken 4 times daily if we do get moderately sick.
    This is probably overboard but I do not want to feel sick on a trip I have waited so long for!!!
    Have fun on your journey, and thanks all for the advice. Lori

I also purchased a 'Sawyer Point ZeroTWO™ Bucket Purifier Assembly Kit - with Faucet Adapter' and plan to take just the filter and faucet adapter to purify tap water. Hopefully it works. Even with the inconvenience I don't mind buying water to support the local economy, but I've heard more than once that locally purchased water is often untreated.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recently read a medical study when I was visiting 10k feet - they compared the prescription Diamox (acetazolamide) with 600mg Motrin 3 times daily - and found that they equally prevented altitude sickness. I think this LINK was the article. I didn't start taking the Motrin until the 2nd day in the mile-high city, but once I did - my headaches resolved. I was able to hike up Medicine bow peak (12k feet) and later hiked up black diamond runs at Breckenridge (just for the views and because I could). Now I was still crazy winded; and I had a cheap beer PBR buzz when I started hiking at Breckenridge - so I did have a bit of a headache 2/3 of the way up - but I did make it! :-p

What was I supposed to do?? They were $1 pints at happy hour!?!?!?
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

I did the trail in '95 in our springtime (I think it was around April)
    It rained a few nights and one whole day.
    Don't know the weather patterns for Sept.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Take a camera.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Remember that the faucets are not like ours here. I am not familiar with the bucket faucet adapter...but many faucets are locally made. Depending on your type of hotel/pension/hostel...many faucets are just a pipe with a cutoff lever in many typical homes and hostels. Sorache (altitude sickness) is a serious problem, but taking it easy in Cusco before you go should give you time for your body to produce more red blood cells. The trail used to be more of a mess before the guides were mandatory. You will get to remember what leaded fuel smells like...

The Sawyer faucet adapter should fit over just about any shape tube or faucet.

SP173s.gif

Ok that looks like it would work on just about anything that could be thrown at you...just check where your electrical wires are...I was at place once where the exposed wires holding the single light bulb was only 3-3 inches from a "shower" head (a can with holes drilled in it). Also be aware that the gas/oil heaters in many places can produce carbon monoxide in your room and can kill you...seriously make sure the stuff is vented.

Good advice on the wiring.

Reminded me - most hotels will have an electric hot water heater on the wall that heats water as you use it. These are often wired poorly and you *DO NOT* want to adjust the water temperature on the unit while in the shower or using the sink. It's a counter-intuitive PITA but it's a shock hazard.

Cusco is one of those places where I use two water treatment methods - filtering is good, but I'd also use chemical or UV just to be safe. The water has some really nasty stuff in it, including past cholera outbreaks. Sure, a filter will treat bacteria, but in my experience the water is nasty enough that it will still smell funny even after being filtered. Any questions about Lima or Cusco just me know, I lived there for a couple years.

Images

I spent two days in Cusco and glad I did. I got winded going up an easy flight of stairs from time to time. Cusco must mean "stairs" in Spanish. I think your sleeping bags will be fine. I actually over thought this trip on packing. Our porters were amazing, the cooks were out of this world and our two guides were simply the best.

I have to admit that if you're used to moderate hiking you will not have a problem. Our second day to Dead Woman's Pass was the hardest and I ran out of water on the way up. Out of 14 of us no one could go more than 25 feet without taking a minute or two to catch our breath. It was a long slow hot climb. You're much closer to the sun so it will bake you but at the top it's cool and windy.

You're going to have a great time. Take a large memory card!

We found the locals to be extremely friendly everywhere we went. There's lots of vendors walking the city, lots of tourists carrying cameras around their necks. You can't blend in if you tried. But no one cares. I didn't get the nerve to try the Guinea pig. Will you?

The shops around the main plaza square have everything a CVS could ever want so if you didn't bring something don't worry. We didn't see any crime.

I don't think there are any traffic laws so look three times before crossing the street! They drive like a crazy Chinese fire drill and it's a madhouse. Hysterical to just sit and watch.
    Keep us up to date and PM me if you want.

++ New Posts ++