WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    why? what makes them so special in your eyes?
    I agree that the sense of entitlement can get a little overblown sometimes.
    For example, a few years ago we were section hiking some part of the trail in Virginia and came upon some trail magic in the form of a cooler with a hand-lettered sign taped on the lid. This was the first time we'd ever run across a cooler on the trail, so we were naturally curious. I was standing over it, reading the sign and thinking, "Wow, this is neat, I should take a photo," when a thru-hiker that we'd passed earlier on the trail came up. "You didn't take any drinks from that, did you?" was the first thing he blurted out. No hello, no nothing. "Because that's just for thru-hikers." We hadn't actually talked to the guy, how could he know if we were thru-hikers or not. How rude and presumptuous can you get?

If a person is in business along the AT, it shouldn't make a bit of difference if they are a thru-hiker or not. Should all the restaurants, shuttle drivers and equipment outfitters not make a profit off thru hikers? That would put Mountain Crossings out of business!

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
    If a person is in business along the AT, it shouldn't make a bit of difference if they are a thru-hiker or not. Should all the restaurants, shuttle drivers and equipment outfitters not make a profit off thru hikers? That would put Mountain Crossings out of business!
    Yeah, Winton Porter is probably having a good laugh over this one.

But..But..they are on a pilgrimage!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I never tip owners

And I am an owner.
    ROFLMAO! You'rea dentist, who by his own admission claims ignorance as an excuse for not tippinghotel staff! That's the definition of a Douche bag

Quote Originally Posted by AKBOb View Post
    ROFLMAO! You'rea dentist, who by his own admission claims ignorance as an excuse for not tippinghotel staff! That's the definition of a Douche bag
    I have asked multiple folks around here. A grand total of ZERO had ever heard of tipping hotel stafff.............ZERO.

Do YOU tip owners?

I'll ask again. Is this a regional thing?

And, *******, when tipped, I give it to my staff. So **** off.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have asked multiple folks around here. A grand total of ZERO had ever heard of tipping hotel stafff.............ZERO.

Do YOU tip owners?

I'll ask again. Is this a regional thing?

And, *******, when tipped, I give it to my staff. So **** off.
    I have lived in numerous parts of the country and this is really something that should be known. Ironically, it is the staff of the nicer hotels who are always tipped - checking in (at times), always the luggage staff, always the room service staff or anyone who brings something to your door and always leave something for housekeeping on a daily basis as they have different people each day.

I have lived in numerous parts of the country and this is really something that should be known. Ironically, it is the staff of the nicer hotels who are always tipped - checking in (at times), always the luggage staff, always the room service staff or anyone who brings something to your door and always leave something for housekeeping on a daily basis as they have different people each day.
    Luggage staff, yes. Airport luggage, yes. Just no one I have talked to had heard of cleaning staff.

Luggage staff, yes. Airport luggage, yes. Just no one I have talked to had heard of cleaning staff.
    "Just no one I have talked to had heard of cleaning staff."

Of course not. That's because fat white-trash is so easy to clean up after that they shouldn't have to tip; internet tough guy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AKBOb View Post
    Of course not. That's because fat white-trash is so easy to clean up after that they shouldn't have to tip; internet tough guy. LOL
    Nice mirror you are looking into........... Interesting that that was the first post from you on WB in a year. Freaking troll.

Congrats. You are the FIRST POS I have blocked on WB.

Nice mirror you are looking into........... Interesting that that was the first post from you on WB in a year. Freaking troll.

Congrats. You are the FIRST POS I have blocked on WB.

"Nice mirror you are looking into........... "

I'm rubber and you are glue....and now I know why you failed medical school

Those that commented... I do not take any offense at the feed back on my post about profiteering, you may though have misunderstood. There is an immense difference between turning a profit and profiteering. Will I profit fom my way of helping the hikers? Absolutely. As I said and an Update here, I have now 398 ambassadors for Fort Bastian. Their value is the word of mouth sharing of their experiences when coming through Bastian. when Fort Bastian opens next season it will continue to extend the Exact same courtesies and hospitality as it has to date to all THROUGH hikers. There will be no charge to any through hiker coming to Fort Bastian. Shower, bunk, laundry, entertainment, Full breakfast before hitting the trail and shuttle back to the TH. So how do I make anything? Very simple I will have so many other activities going on , my business plan wrote off the hikers as an expense before I even open the doors. and it seems to be working extraordinarily well. There are those hikers that do abuse the trail magic and hospitality they are given, and there definitely are those who do indeed profiteer from hikers with no where else to turn. I have seen the rates go up 35% at a local hotel for the hiker season, (Yep they are pissed at me.) There are shuttle drivers who take extreme advantage. Again a couple of local people were charging outrageous amounts for hikers to get a 3 mile ride into Bland. So please do not think for one minute I have anything against persons and businesses along the trail making money, not at all. This is America land of free enterprise. I have 396 ambassadors , monies received zero. Expenditure? Bloody outrageous LOL ! regrets none. Profit? Some profit cannot be counted in coin, and is priceless.

Images

I guesses you never saw envelopes for tips in most hotels.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I haven't read this entire thread but.... I always leave a few bucks for the hotel maid and I tip good because it gets me better service and I'm impatient so I like good, prompt service.

With regards to charging/tipping establishments on the trail... *IF* I were to ever start a hiker oriented business it would be ran like a business which means I'd charge enough to make a profit and if someone couldn't afford to use my business they can go somewhere else. I don't mean that in a harsh way... Just that there are different price points for different budgets and I would absolutely not try to attract people who have little or no discretionary money to spend.

The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega is a perfect example... I would probably use their model for a hostel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega is a perfect example... I would probably use their model for a hostel.
    Josh and Leigh run a fantastic hostel...and it's a bargin. I don't know how they offer so much for so small a price. The gasoline consumed on their shuttles alone must be staggaring.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Josh and Leigh run a fantastic hostel...and it's a bargin. I don't know how they offer so much for so small a price. The gasoline consumed on their shuttles alone must be staggaring.
    Jeff, your place is legend in VT and I think the same could be said for your hostel based on the massive amount of kudos you got on both the LT and the AT.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++