WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bivy and Lightweight Options

I am having uncontrollable thoughts on ditching my beloved tent for a tarp set-up (tarp and Bivy too be determined). My question lies with the Bivy (what are you all using and can you provide me with some specific recommendations.

1. 3-season New England Hiker
    2. Tarp in my future
    3. I use 20 degree quilt and I am a side-sleeper with a NeoAir pad.
    4. Need bug protection. Yes, perhaps detachable bug protection would be a good consideration.
    5. Bivy needs to handle the rigors of our New England weather (warm, cold rain, humidity, yes and the snow that we tend to have during our 3-seasons).
    6. Cost is always a factor but a not a deal breaker.
    7. If you want to recommend a tarp to go with the Bivy, I'm all ears (read as: eyes)
    8. My DIY skill set doesn't exist so I'm a buyer!

I'm looking for any and all bivy recommendations and any other input you may have.

Thanks in advance!
    Shocker

I really think you would be happier with your tent. After you meet all your requirements a bivy may not be the best choice, especially in warm and wet weather. Maybe get a lighter tent?

Images

If you ad the weight of a tarp, bivy and bug protection together, you'll be right back to the weight of a tent. I'd agree with the suggestion of a lighter tent.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Rather than a bivvy and tarp, suggest you look shaped tarps like an SMD Wild Oasis or Gatewood Cape with NetTent (for bug season), or (for more money) a ZPacks Hexamid with floor. You will be MUCH more comfortable and probably just as light; maybe lighter
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

As a tarp user since 2006, I mainly use a Moutain Laurel Designs (MLD) Superbivy. The superbivy has netting over the face for bug protection, is lightweight, water resistant (not proof) and very breathable so condensation is less of an issue. In warmer weather, I use it as a lightweight sleeping bag when my quilt is too hot. In hot weather where I'm less concern about weather protection, I use a MLD bug bivy. There are times where I don't use a bivy at all and if bugs are an issue, I just wear a head net over my baseball cap to bed.

As to why go with a bivy/tarp over a tent, there have been several threads in the past year addressing that. It isn't for everyone, but works for many of us. My own setup is under 15oz, is far more versatile in more situations that I find myself in, and is better for those that hate setting a shelter up and prefer to cowboy camp if the weather permits. Even for shelter users, I'd rather have a bivy along to use in the shelter with the tarp as backup.

I initiated one of those tarp threads a while back. You can read through that discussion.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-to-buy-a-tarp!

Your parameters are essentially identical to mine: Three season, side sleeping, quilt/neoair using, value seeking, non-DIYer needing bug protection and weight savings.

As pointed out in the first few replies above, tarps have advantages and disadvantages. They are not for everyone, but the are for many.
    After all the data was considered, I concluded that I will be buying a MLD Bug Bivy with either a MLD Grace Duo or GG SpinnTwinn tarp. Other than fabric, price and weight, the MLD and GG tarps have almost the same specs. Among these three, you can pick your desired weight, fabric, and price point:

MLD Silnylon = 13 oz and $150
    GG SpinnTwinn = 11.85 oz and $175
    MLD Cuben = 7.5 oz and $295

The weight for the GG tarp includes lines and stuff sack.
    The MLD web site says these items are included in the price, but doesn't specifically say they are included in the weight (that I could see).

For the bivy, I like the MLD Bug Bivy. 5 oz and $ 175 in Cuben or 6 oz and $125 in sylnylon.

I probably won't go with the Cuben options. Haven't decided between sylnylon and spinnaker yet.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...x.php?cPath=21
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...products_id=55
    http://gossamergear.com/shelters/spinntwinn-tarp.html

I use a bivy (SMD Meteor) and a poncho tarp when I hike in warmer weather down south here. I tend to stay at shelters. This bivy works great in shelters for bug protection.

I have used a Gossamer Gear Spinnshelter for my last few ventures into the backcountry. I have spent the night under said tarp in a few heavy downpours and have stayed absolutley dry. At 10 oz for a enclosed tarp shelter it can't be beat. I am currently looking into some bug protection too, the MLD serenity shelter which weighs 8.5 oz seems like a good option. So for 18.5 oz I have a complete double wall shelter will bathtub flooring.... basically a tent.*

Go see the gear reviews on sectionhiker.com Phil had at least one setup with a ground cloth, tarp, and a small netting that hung from the underside of the tarp. The netting only covers the opening of the bag. I believe he has migrated to a bivy and tarp with a mesh opening.

I tried the BA three wire bivy and it was a PITA to get in and out of AND I expereinced a lot of moisture in the foot bed.

Returned it and ended up getting the REI qtr dome.

I have a MLD cuban tarp and love it. 7 oz and enough shelter for me . Also have a bugbivy for summer hikes but rarely take it.Had a sil-nylon bivy for water protection but I roll and slip and it gets too twisted to do me any good, Now I just put out a GG poly ground cloth (1 oz) and make it work Does good for me ,but I would caution this kit is not for everyone. Must be able to adjust. A safer bet is the above mentioned tarp-tents . Also check out Lightheart's line of shelters. Experiment and move cautiously toward the small ,light weight options but if you try and like them ,you have a very small kit.

Thanks all... Appreciate your thoughts and input.

My reasons for considering a Bivy is that it gives me that added option to sleep under the stars. I'm not getting rid of my tents just trying to come up with a better mouse-trap (there's a pun in their for the shelter guys).

Thanks again and please add your $0.02 when and if you can!

For a cheaper option then MLD, you may try Titanium Goat. I use to use one of theirs before I lost it off my pack when I slid off the trail in snow. It isn't as breathable (so more condensation) but it certainly is cheaper but well made.

Journal Entries

Borah Gear bivies cant be beat on price and quality materials.

This is my way of looking at it.
    By the time you get a tarp/bugnet/bivvy you could consider a tarp tent with a separate inner.
    I have started to use the TT Notch that is like that.
    (I have another 13 shelters...)
    About 700g, ( 25oz) if you use trekking poles, but that would apply to tarps too.
    The advantage ,to me, is that I can set it up in less than two minutes , it can be fully enclosed or just set up as inner only and has a smaller footprint (if you include guylines) than most tarps .
    Two vestibules/entry points so you can leave the leeside open if stuck in the rain.
    It can take some snow too if you stake it out correctly.
    (again tarps also need to be carefully pegged out)
    There is a partial fabric inner too so that would give you more weather protection but still allow you a view of the sky when set up by it self.
    Notch-on-snow-too.jpgMt-Stirling-2.jpg

Franco
    (I look after TT in Australia)

I've used Marmots home alone bivy (first generation), noticed they did a 2012 redesign with extra hoop at feet. First of all I did like it but used it one season and sold it. The reason I sold it was because,
    1) no ventilation at the feet and major condensation would build up.
    2) Ugly stand out Orange color

The redesign looks like it keeps the bivy off of you completely so it may help with condensation (as I never used the tie off point in the old toe box so it would always rest on my sleeping bag)

The set up was crazy light, under 2 pounds and if you are smaller to avg size it would easily sleep 2. Very roomy inside!

If you are interested in a bivy, I would suggest also looking into the Borah Bivies... I have a side zip with M50 for the top. I got mine in standard/standard length and width and it is big enough for me to use my Neo and my 15 F Helium bag in. The floor is 1.1 sil... cuben is an option, but I went with the sil mostly due to $. I think mine cost $95 and with a large cuben stuff sack and a pretty long piece of shock cord (to pull the mesh off my face) it comes in at 6.1 oz. Overall, it looks very nice. No loose stitching, and everything is lined up as it should be. As well, John was great to deal with.

Here is a link to the site:

Borah Gear
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I just took the plunge and ordered a peaked zPacks Hexamid Twin in Cuben fiber (6.9 oz) with a Cuben groundcloth (4.0 oz). I ended up going with the Twin size by rationalizing that I should be able to avoid adding a bivy. This gives me a 2-man shelter in a pinch, or a lot of gear storage space if I want to spread things out. The weight penalty for the peaked Twin+groundsheet was only 3.9 ounces over the Solo+groundsheet, while a bivysac would run at least 5.5 ounces.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I just took the plunge and ordered a peaked zPacks Hexamid Twin in Cuben fiber (6.9 oz) with a Cuben groundcloth (4.0 oz). I ended up going with the Twin size by rationalizing that I should be able to avoid adding a bivy. This gives me a 2-man shelter in a pinch, or a lot of gear storage space if I want to spread things out. The weight penalty for the peaked Twin+groundsheet was only 3.9 ounces over the Solo+groundsheet, while a bivysac would run at least 5.5 ounces.
    You got the tarp only (without the net floor)? What are you doing for bugs? If I don't go with the tarp and bug bivy I might go with Hexamid solo+ with net floor. Still unsure.

Again thanks to all who have responded to my post... Here's where I'm at.... Lost!*

The post about Zpack Hexamid got me thinking so I dropped Joe at Zpacks an email with a bunch of questions... Hope he answers soon cause I've got trails to hike!

Anyway, I'm down to the following (yes a change from where I started)....

Hexamid Solo-Plus Tent w/ Beak and Cuben Fiber Bathtub Groundsheet or the Hexamid**Solo-plus Tarp w/ Beak, Tyvek Groundsheet plus Bivy. The Bivy will have to have bug netting (preferably detachable bug netting).

Thanks for the Bivy recommendations!*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++