WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Pine Mountain Trail

Has anyone hiked this Trail? I just picked up a map after a hiker told me about it.

If you are referring to the one in the Grayson Highlands area yes I have. It creates a nice loop from Rhotadendron gap to a point near wilson creek, and then you can take the AT south back to Rotadendron gap. There is a blue blaze side trail from the AT to massie gap along that section of AT. The pine mountain trail is marked and not all that difficult. I did the loop with a group of scouts twice in the past few years.
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cutman11 View Post
    If you are referring to the one in the Grayson Highlands area yes I have. It creates a nice loop from Rhotadendron gap to a point near wilson creek, and then you can take the AT south back to Rotadendron gap. There is a blue blaze side trail from the AT to massie gap along that section of AT. The pine mountain trail is marked and not all that difficult. I did the loop with a group of scouts twice in the past few years.
    There must be more than one PMT this one in GA. north of Columbus,GA.

Images

Default Pine Mountain Trail

I've hiked the PMT in GA many times! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by droptopbenz View Post
    I've hiked the PMT in GA many times! Maddog
    I'll be glad to answer any question you have! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

I have also hiked the Pine Mtn. Trail several times and will be glad to answer any questions

Images

Pine Mountain Trail at FDR State Park in GA is a nice, simple hiking trail. I have been on it several times. The trail is 24 miles long as it meanders around the hills. There are connector trail on the opposite sides of the ridges making 7 recognized loop trails and totalling about 43 miles in trails. All campsites are designated, a few of which are limited to 4-6 campers. Cost, last time I checked, was $6/day/hiker. Join the PMTA and hiking is free.

Area has historic value and there are plenty of good views. This is a highly regulated, but very nicely maintained area. Worth hiking.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Images

There is also a Pine Mtn Trail on the VA-KY border. I guess we should specify which one we mean when we make posts about them.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Default lots of damage after last years tornados

The trail suffered some major damage after last year's tornadoes. I hiked the 7 mile wolf den loop today on the trails eastern end. It is recovering nicely but will take years to recover. This section has numerous creek crossing and several small waterfalls and is 1 of the favorite hikes in the park. My son and I have completed the entire trail several times since it is only 30 miles from home. Will use it often for conditioning in testing new gear.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    There is also a Pine Mtn Trail on the VA-KY border. I guess we should specify which one we mean when we make posts about them.

If I knew there was more than one I would have stated it. Sorry for your time..HS

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    If I knew there was more than one I would have stated it. Sorry for your time..HS
    LOL I was getting ready to reply to your original post but I was on my Blackberry and waited, then saw you were asking about the other one.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Journal Entries
    Images

droptopbenz and T-RX and other hikers/hangers that posted thanks for the help. Since im so close to the trail, i was wondering if anyone would like to hike some of it with me after this weekend. Im working 4/10's right now so I have a good 2.5days to hike. I do go and check on my mom (cancer) and the rest of my family every other weekend. Thanks HS

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldManWalking View Post
    The trail suffered some major damage after last year's tornadoes. I hiked the 7 mile wolf den loop today on the trails eastern end. It is recovering nicely but will take years to recover. This section has numerous creek crossing and several small waterfalls and is 1 of the favorite hikes in the park. My son and I have completed the entire trail several times since it is only 30 miles from home. Will use it often for conditioning in testing new gear.
    That's my plans to but i need to start back walking as well.. Since you close to Fort Benning let me know if you and your son would like to hike some..Thanks for your post.HS

Images

Default sure

We could do that. Send me a pm. We will be doing several overnights in preparation for a fall section in the smokies.

It's an easy trail with lots of water and some good views. It is very well maintained with mile markers and tons of loops. The tornado damage areas are pretty remarkable and it is impressive to see what the PMTA did to reopen those trails just a few months after the tornadoes hit. I've hiked it twice (on weekends in May and June) and was a little disappointed about the lack of people out on the trail. On my weekend trip in June I saw a couple day hikers and no other backpackers. I would've though its proximity to Columbus and Atlanta would mean there would be more people out on it. IMO, it's worth hiking if you live nearby but I wouldn't travel hours and hours for it when there are better options somewhat close (Pinhoti, AT or Benton Mackaye).

Oh and backcountry campsites are $9 per person per day from FDR State Park. You can join the PMTA for $25 (free map and free camping) so it makes much more sense to do that if you plan on being there for more than one night.

++ New Posts ++