WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Starting a SOBO..logistics at Baxter State Park

I'm beginning a sobo in a couple weeks and looking at where to try reserving a night (I'll likely arrive in the afternoon and not have time to try making it out of the park in one day). Sort of last minute I know..but need to figure out how to efficiently spend my time in the park before I head south. Any input is appreciated!

Images

Katahdin stream would be first choice.keep in mind up and down katahdin is an all day affair,and with days getting shorter you want to be on the trail by 9am.i got a shuttle from millenocket at the at lodge.

Go on the baxter state park website and check availability of a place to stay in the park ASAP. Its pretty well booked around Labor day. The least hassle is to stay in a bunkhouse. Lately its been 45 degrees at night so the woodstove might be of use. If Katahdin Stream is not available, Abol is the only other real option. Get going as early as possible in the morning up the mountain. Sure it may be cool but you need to carry the gear anyhow in case its cold up top. The summit can and does cloud up in the early afternoon so if you want the views, the earlier the better. If you are at the summit and feeling good, an out and back over the Knifes Edge is worth the trip.

Make plans for reservations at Katahdin Stream. KS is right on the AT and will set you up nicely for leaving the Park after your "summit assault". Any trail you take up Katahdin and down will be an all day affair. I tell all of my guests that the climb and descent will be agonizing, brutal, grueling and exhausting. Most of my guests begin by climbing the Abol Slide trail out of Abol campground in Baxter Park. It is 3.8 miles from Abol campground to Baxter Peak. From there, you can descend via the Hunt trail to Katahdin Stream (5.2 miles), where your full pack will be waiting for you. Baxter Park offers free loaner packs to visitors, so you can leave your full pack with Betsy (the Katahdin Stream ranger), and day hike the mountain. The Abol/Hunt(AT) route is 9.0 miles as opposed to the "out and back" route of the Hunt trail (which is 10.4 miles, total). The Abol Slide/Hunt trail route offers the hiker an opportunity to see Katahdin from two different trails as well as saving 1.4 miles of total hiking (which is mostly climbing). I have hiked Katahdin well over 100 times in the past 35 years and this is one of my favorite hikes on the mountain. Expect to feel pain, discomfort and doubt the entire way. www.100milewilderness.info

Images

We are all different. I disagree on the Abol Trail option. I really feel any first timer should go up and down the Hunt Trail. Little further, same amount of time. Kinda cool when you pop out above treeline.

Looks different once you turn around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    We are all different. I disagree on the Abol Trail option. I really feel any first timer should go up and down the Hunt Trail. Little further, same amount of time. Kinda cool when you pop out above treeline.

Looks different once you turn around.
    lol, i couldn't agree more. did abol trail as a first-timer & it kicked my ass, i went up the hunt trail the next time i hiked & questioned why i had thought abol was such a good idea the first time. should have done them the other way around....
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

thanks all for the info! turns out its all booked up that wkend but I've made plans to stay at a campground not far outside the park. will get started as early as possible the next morning. Heard so much about how tough Katahdin is...I'm very excited!

The Togue Pond Gate opening is usually timed to allow people at the gate in the AM to make it to the trailhead just when the sun comes up.

The ride from the Togue Pond gate to Katahdin stream takes a lot longer than you would think. The park road is just barely 2 lanes wide and 20 MPH is about as fast as you would want to go in the AM.

I will be up there labor day weekend

++ New Posts ++