Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've been reading LongStride & SilverGirl's journal. Half the team is a woman! I'm only up through day 28. The best part: no whining! So far, they've had a very upbeat tone the entire time, through weather and injury - I'm hoping that continues.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=321750

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    gangsta 2009
    FIFY.

Most of my favorite TJ's have been mentioned. But if you're going to read gangsta's TJ, her running mate was Wags and her TJ is awesome. I checked it out today so I could post the URL and she had a recent entry (7/12/12) that rocks! Here's the URL: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=228457
    Trillium

One other very well written TJ was by Michelle Ray, trailname Birdlegs. She was a librarian before she hiked the trail and she had a book contract in advance of hiking. Her TJ is at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4365
    Trillium

Images

Another plug for Wags and Gangsta 2009. Coincidentally,I had picked them as good writers on TJ with a high chance of success while doing their shakedown trials before they had met on the trail. I've met them since they finished. Great gals, the both of 'em.

I liked the book Wild, From lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail.

Images

Whilst not a successful thru hike, Mrs Joy's 2010(?or11) trail journal makes good reading.

Images

cookerhiker, I was going to recommend Liteshoe's journal... she was one of my inspirations. Older hikers might be interested in my journals... www.trailjournals.com/redhat 2005 is half a thru, 2008 is my adventures in Maine, and 2010 is my almost thru. I tell is like it is, warts and all.

Journal Entries

In Beauty May She Walk is a wonderful book, especially for women in their 60s like me. Very inspirational!

Journal Entries

As a spinoff of this thread, I would like to know of trail journals by women in their 60s. Thanks!

Images

My Own Hike: A Woman's Journeya on The Appalachian Trail by Nancy Shepherd is pretty good.

Mine: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2067

Its a bit old but does cover the entire AT. You can also get it in print on Amazon.

I'm a much earlier Mouse, from 2004.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crazydave1234 View Post
    My Own Hike: A Woman's Journeya on The Appalachian Trail by Nancy Shepherd is pretty good.
    This is a hoot. She hiked HER OWN HIKE (GAME). If you are a strict purist, you will probably develop hives reading it.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

The funniest title I have seen is "Footpath, My Ass!" by a woman named Terry Croteau 'Bluebird'. Apparently she did not finish the whole trail, but the title sums up perfectly my impression of much of the trail in NH and Maine.

hydroheidi

I've just taken the privacy off of my AT blog from 2009 - I wrote nearly every day, then compiled my writing into blog posts - I hiked when I was 41 and I was a flipflopper, so the story runs a little bit differently. I did hike the whole trail, except maybe 14 miles or so in a few different places where I missed a chunk that went through a town, like North Adams. There's a gear list and other info too - I hope it's helpful to someone! http://carlasat.wordpress.com/
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
    http://wildandwhiteblazing.com

http://gentrifiedonthetrail.wordpress.com/

I thru hiked this year, had the best time. I took photos...I'm not a good writer. But photos work wonders where words fail. Enjoy!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    A great book by Bluebird, "Footpath, my Ass"!
    ...great book...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slow n' Steady View Post
    As a spinoff of this thread, I would like to know of trail journals by women in their 60s. Thanks!
    Barbara Allen (Mamaw B) posted on Trail journals. She completed a Nobo thru at 71 years old.

I hiked this year and you're welcome to read if you'd like - www.postholer.com/button

It was an amazing experience, highly recommended and if anyone wants to chat or have any questions feel free to contact me :-)

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyGirl View Post
    I hiked this year and you're welcome to read if you'd like - www.postholer.com/button

It was an amazing experience, highly recommended and if anyone wants to chat or have any questions feel free to contact me :-)
    Seems the link might not go through but log onto postholer and look under 2012 for Button.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++