WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Have you done something stupid enough to kill you?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Just think of them as marital section hikes
    Choo Choo, that is excellent, I now will. Both have indeed sectioned with me.In fact the first thing I did with both was section the AT, we are going this weekend.....with only 1 though.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Choo Choo, that is excellent, I now will. Both have indeed sectioned with me.In fact the first thing I did with both was section the AT, we are going this weekend.....with only 1 though.
    How romantic! Gonna pop the question??

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    No kids, but you're right it would have got confusing especially when it came time for "kissin' cousins" (LOL) By the way this was in the Florida panhandle, we don't kiss our cousins in Bama (LOL) You do believe that don't ya?
    I don't know what you guys do down there LOL

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Hey now, I like marriage so much today is my 32nd anniversary. Yay US!!!
    Congrats, but there are no guarantees. I'm in the middle of an amicable divorce after 32 years of marriage (plus 6 years of dating). I truly believe that our world would be better off if couples commit to each other for 5-year relationships with easier outs. I know -- sacrilege.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Did a day hike of 12 miles starting at 2:40 in early february with dead batteries in my headlamp and no overnight gear. I used my camera's view finder light as a guide to hike down blood mtn in 27 degree temps in pitch dark.
    You're not going to live forever.
    Find this to be true.
    Use your past as a guide.
    While you're alive, live.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Congrats, but there are no guarantees. I'm in the middle of an amicable divorce after 32 years of marriage (plus 6 years of dating). I truly believe that our world would be better off if couples commit to each other for 5-year relationships with easier outs. I know -- sacrilege.
    Kerosene... I'm sorry to hear about the lost relationship after 32 years but it good to read it's not bitter. Don't worry, we take nothing for granted in our relationship and still work at it, daily. That's why I said we haven't made it 2 Katahdin yet.. :/ You're fine!

Images

+1 Kerosene, I was only married 8 years and we are still good friends, we had an amicable divorce, no kids but 3 wonderful dogs.
    You're not going to live forever.
    Find this to be true.
    Use your past as a guide.
    While you're alive, live.

32 years and folding...sounds like a bad poker hand, your holding a full house (no pun intended), been betting and raising and now your pretty sure the other guy has 4-of-a-kind and he just went all in...do you fold or call?

Images

I was married for 13 years. they were 2 of the happiest years of my life

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Does getting married for the third time count?
    3rd time was a charm for me

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lando11 View Post
    solo january night hike in the adks
    Wow you and me both - pitched a tent on ice.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    I was married for 13 years. they were 2 of the happiest years of my life
    I represent that remark.
    Come sail away, come sail away, come and sail away with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3yw...ure=plpp_video

Images

I jump off waterfalls into deep cold water in winter time butt ass naked - I ice climb, I kayak class V rivers, I snow ski in the backcountry (but with a probe, beacon, and shovel), I try to backpack 30 miles in a day sometimes waking at 4am and finishing after dark but NO, I don't do anything stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    I jump off waterfalls into deep cold water in winter time butt ass naked - I ice climb, I kayak class V rivers, I snow ski in the backcountry (but with a probe, beacon, and shovel), I try to backpack 30 miles in a day sometimes waking at 4am and finishing after dark but NO, I don't do anything stupid.
    The most stupid act is not living life to the full, looking back on life and regretting not doing things you wanted to do.

Journal Entries

1. Like others above, I once tried to hike across a bald amidst lightening. Worse, I did it despite having been put on notice by my map that the mountain in question is called "Thunderhead". (The Smokies have been changing/reviving. There was no tree cover at all on that ridge when I was 'young and foolish' back then in 1972.)

2. Not paying close attention while attempting to install new fuel for a Camping Gaz stove (circa 1977). It's amazing how fast butane shoots out in all directions from accidentally punctured canisters. Mine whirled out of control and within a few seconds its metal became too cold to touch. If I'd been a smoker or had a campfire nearby...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    The most stupid act is not living life to the full, looking back on life and regretting not doing things you wanted to do.
    I decided long ago that was not going to happen.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I decided long ago that was not going to happen.
    I really only came to the same conclusion last year.
    My 30 year marriage is the best thing that ever happened to me.
    The secret to a successful marriage is deciding who makes the minor decisions and who makes the major ones.
    In our house my wife makes the minor decisions about what to eat, which curtains and what car we should have etc.
    I make the major ones like should we accept more migrants, should we be in Afghanistan or is global warming something we should do more about?
    We get along fine....

Images

Ok Ok.. My best friend and I would lie to our parents..I would say I was spending the night with him, He would say he was spending the night with me..We would then ride our bikes around the neighborhood all night long..But then one night it got down to 5 below and we could not go home because we had lied, so we went to another friends house and got under a camper shell that was laying on the ground and tried to sleep..I was in second stage of hyperthermia when our friend finally got up and came outside to feed his dogs and let us in to warm up..needless to say we never lied to our parents about that ever again...lol very stupid..
    Kibble's n Bit's

Something really stupid... You mean like leaving a good paying job and the company of my wife and family to spend 6 months walking through the woods with rain and bugs and dirt and snakes? Something like that?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

I once snowshoed across a lovely, snowy slope. When I got back to the trailhead, I saw the sign that said "avalanche risk, extreme danger". No ice axe, no knowledge of self arrest, bare minimum of survival gear...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++