WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Is it worth the investment?

My wife is not to keen on me hiking the NJ Section of the AT alone. I was thinking of picking up the Delorme inReach Two Way Satellite Communicator so she could follow my progress. Since I'm planning on hiking the NY section in the spring 2013 and then Connecticut in the fall 2013; Would it be worth the investment?

my opinion, no. not worth it

I can't see any reason to buy one. Not for the AT. If you have a cell phone, you'll be able to call her every day or every other day. If she's just concerned about safety, tell her that there are lots of people on the trail; you won't be alone.

Images

i agree. not worth it. sending a text every day would be easier.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

if you have a decent cell phone, theres plenty of signal in these areas.

Images

Good enough. I keep telling her there's always someone on the trail. She's just overly concerned.

Images

look at the charges. even a SPOT isn't this bad.

Monthly Service Plans
    Safety Plan - Unlimited SOS, 10 Messages per month, No Tracking, $9.95 per Month.
    Overage - $1.50 per message and $0.25 per Track.
    Recreation Plan - Unlimited SOS, 40 Messages per month, Unlimited Tracking, $24.95 per Month.
    Overage - $0.50 per message.
    Expedition Plan - Unlimited SOS, 120 Messages per month, Unlimited Tracking, $49.95 per Month.
    Overage - $0.25 per message.
    There is a one-time $11.95 activation charge.

Journal Entries

Part of the allure of going out onto the trail, or into the woods, is to be on your own, away from society.
    Some people might as well stay on their sofa.

Oh hell no.

Tell her if she's afraid of you hiking alone she's welcome to come along. If not, you'll see her when you see her.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Part of the allure of going out onto the trail, or into the woods, is to be on your own, away from society.
    For some people. Others are more considerate of their loved ones who they leave behind and are concerned

Quote Originally Posted by rich5665 View Post
    My wife is not to keen on me hiking the NJ Section of the AT alone. I was thinking of picking up the Delorme inReach Two Way Satellite Communicator so she could follow my progress. Since I'm planning on hiking the NY section in the spring 2013 and then Connecticut in the fall 2013; Would it be worth the investment?
    Aww... first of all that is so sweet of you to understand her concern and try to figure out a way to make her feel better... good job!! Could you look into getting a SPOT? But really calling her every night will make her feel better 2. I'm thinking that the cell coverage should be pretty good thru there. It was good with Verizon a couple years ago. WTG... rich5665

I have not had experience on the AT but sometimes it is just part of the price we have to pay in order to be able to get out and enjoy the trails by ourselves. My wife is not an outdoor type and in order for me to be able to get out on our local Ozark Highlands Trail or the Buffalo River Trail I had to agree to purchase the Inreach. Mainly due to the fact that most of our trails do not have any cell service. It is sometimes easier to just pay the price. I have found the Inreach to be an excellent product and it has always worked perfectly for me.

Images

that's not fair to say. i took a SPOT. it was January and they thought i was going to freeze? THEY being, girlfriend and family, 4 children and their families, 4 grandchildren, my sister and her family, my dad, friends and the the 3 ex-wives and their families (not sure of their interest). my point being, i did it for them because i love them and care about them.
    Today, nobody cares where i go. they say have fun, send a post card. they do remember i cared.
    this is the second post i read where somebody said they should just stay home? what happened to HYOH
    KK
    SPOT map

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

What anyone says here about whether or not you need to keep your wife informed doesn't mean squat - it's your marriage. My wife likes me to take my SPOT so I do - what matters most? What makes my wife happy or what somebody here thinks?

That said, the piece of gear you're looking at is overkill I think. A SPOT would work but I think it would be worth discussing with her that the NJ section is not remote and has cell signal out the wazoo and try to get her to accept a checkin each evening, either by a quick call or a text.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The area that the A.T. goes through from Connecticut to New Jersey is both civilized and heavily traveled and you will rarely be more than a short walk back to a house or road. You will also find that cellphone service is generally good in the entire area.

If the cost of a transponder is worth it in order to keep the peace at home then go for it, but in my opinion it's is not an area where having one would be necessary.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Think you may be better off with a cell phone and a daily phone call. Less expensive and more efficient.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

For you perhaps. I have done most of my hiking and camping with friends. With that said, my plan has been to hike this solo, my wife is just concerned for my safety. I'm sure she'll be fine with a phone call at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Oh hell no.Tell her if she's afraid of you hiking alone she's welcome to come along. If not, you'll see her when you see her.
    As much as I would like my son and wife to join me on this hike. My wife does work and unlike me only gets a couple of weeks off a year and of course my son has school.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Think you may be better off with a cell phone and a daily phone call. Less expensive and more efficient.
    There are a few areas between Del Gap and Millbrook Village NJ, (Hike this a lot with the Scouts) that for what ever reason I just don't get a signal. Not sure about the less expensive part. The average phone bill with a data plan is $59.99 or more and depending on the Cell Phone, $0 to $299.99 But I digress; the extra expense probably isn't worth it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Images

I hike solo all the time you might want to show your wife the maps and show her your exact route. it might make her feel more comfortable if she sees how close road access is in most places. I always leave my itinerary with someone I trust that if I'm not back by a certain time which authorities to call.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I was able to get at least a text message to home almost every day while hiking the AT last year.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I went with the daily phone call / text route, but was constantly reminding her that I could hit a bad cell stretch and not be able to call her and that she was NOT to call the authorities to look for me.

I was a lot more afraid of paying for a search and rescue that I didn't need than I was for getting injured and not being able to get help on my own (via a passing hiker or a phone call).
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++