WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default lightweight backpack quandary

Hey all,
    Looking a settle a debate going on within my head. I'm looking at several 30L-ish and below UL frameless packs that weigh around a lb. Any feedback with these choices would be appreciated. Listed in order of the most likely to make its way to my hands.
    *weights are based on a M pack
    I also am thinking about adding hip belt pockets to all of these that don't normally have them(all except osprey and ula)
    1a.gossamer gear kumo 14.3 (+2oz for sit pad)
    1b. Gossamer gear murmur 9.1 + possible sit pad
    -leaning toward the kumo since I like the little zip lid and the more durable fabric
    2. Mountain laurel designs exodus 11.0
    3.osprey hornet 24 20.0 oz
    -on the list since I can get a killer deal on it from a buddy of mine who works at am outfitter and I love the hip belt pockets
    4.ula cdt 21 oz.
    -Prob won't happen, but hey I'm keeping options open here

Any experiences with these packs would be huge!

Thanks

I use a Mountain Laurel Design Burn. Love it. Its not in your list and smaller than what you want, but thumbs up for MLD.

Images

My wife and I own three Osprey Hornets. My wife, a Hornet 24 and a Hornet 46. FWIW, the actual weights of her's, both small/medium size, are 19 and 24 oz. respectively. My medium/large Hornet 46 weighs 25 oz. I also own and use the Osprey Exos 46 (this has a rigid frame and weighs about 2.5 pounds, or 40 oz).

The hornet is plenty comfortable for me for up to maybe 24-25 pounds total. Heavier than that it gets uncomfortable. The Osprey Exos is no more comfortable, even with its frame when the packs weight 24-25 pounds or less. Above this weight and the Exos gets much more comfortable quickly. I also like the open/mesh back; keeps my back nice and dry when pushing hard (sweating).

I've never used my wife's Hornet 24, but it sure is small and less functional than the 46. You get a heck of a lot more usability out of those extra 5 ounces in the 46. But the hornet 24 is my wife's favorite 1-2 day pack, but not enough for more than that unless in very warm climates where it might work for longer durations (more food).

My personal AT NOBO plan next April is to start out with the heavier Exos because the overall carried weight will be heavier (colder gear, more food & fuel at times). When I hit warmer climes, I'll switch to the Hornet 46.

I already own an exos 34, which is my primary pack for everything aside from dayhikes. So, I'm not looking for anything larger. Looking to downsize even tho the hornet 46 is lighter then my exos.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I have a Murmur and it'll hold all I need for most summer hikes when I don't have to carry a lot of food. Carrys well.

I used it when I hiked the Bartram Trail (110ish miles) and it worked great.

Images

Is this for a thru? Heck....my foodbag is bigger than 30 liters!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001:1330521
    Is this for a thru? Heck....my foodbag is bigger than 30 liters!
    This will be for shorter summer trips. Did use my 34L pack for most of my thru on '11 however

++ New Posts ++