WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Questions for those who hike with dog(s)

First IF YOU DO NOT THINK DOGS SHOULD HIKE; PLEASE HIT THE BACK KEY ON YOUR BROWSER!

Two questions; How far do you hike on average each day? I know the dog dictates but . . .

At what speed/how fast do you cover the trail? AGAIN: I know the dog dictates but . . .

Thanks

I asked my dog trainer about this since i have just started hiking with my 8 month old puppy. She cautioned me about hiking to far since he is still under a year old and it could damage his joints since they are still forming. So far the longest we have done is about 3 miles but I plan to slowly boost that over the next year.

As for speed I usually average a little under 3 mph with the dog. (Normal hiking speed is 3.5 mph) My dog is 80 lbs so it may vary for you if you have a smaller dog. (When I walk our dachshund I have to go much slower lol)

--louis

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Depends ;-). Depends on the breed, the dog's age, and it's general activity level. Also depends heavily on he weather, especially if you are hiking in high heat or driving rain. The best way to answer this is to go on dayhikeS and keep a close eye on your dog's body language. You'll be able to tell when they're still having fun vs. when they're tired and just following you because it's their job. Regular dayhikes are also a great way condition yourself and your dog in order to work up to longer hikes. I'd recommend starting with short hikes of only a couple miles just to make sure your dog can do it, from there you should be able to increase distances as long as the both of you are having fun.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-29-2012 at 13:08.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I should have also ask what breed you hike with?!?

I have a lab/med-large terrior mix about 80 pounds. Elf; we walk the streets of the community that we live so Bear is fit enough to go do the hike. It seem though that he enjoys the trail/woods more than the streets; maybe I move slower on the trail?!?! He does get to be off the leash out in the woods cause he hangs with me very well; too many close calls in town!

Angus & I cover 4.5 trail miles daily, (sometimes more), around 3mph. He's a yr. old Border Collie, we'll increase miles w/ age. Our focus is fun, & becoming a good trail citizen. We'll start some short overniters this fall.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by louisb View Post
    I asked my dog trainer about this since i have just started hiking with my 8 month old puppy. She cautioned me about hiking to far since he is still under a year old and it could damage his joints since they are still forming. So far the longest we have done is about 3 miles but I plan to slowly boost that over the next year.

As for speed I usually average a little under 3 mph with the dog. (Normal hiking speed is 3.5 mph) My dog is 80 lbs so it may vary for you if you have a smaller dog. (When I walk our dachshund I have to go much slower lol)

--louis
    I have 2 black lab - golden retriever pups. They are 1 yr and a couple of weeks old. One weighs 68 lbs. The other weighs 72 lbs. We hike at least 3 miles every day (just around the property), but when they hike... Their average is about 10 miles. This is between 3-3.5 mph. They set the speed and are nice enough to let me come along for the stroll. Neither has ever exhibited any soreness after our romps. I believe these pups could hike a lot farther, but I don't want to push them. They just love to be out on the trail with me.

Images

Oops! Meant to link to the OP. Sorry about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I have 2 black lab - golden retriever pups. They are 1 yr and a couple of weeks old. One weighs 68 lbs. The other weighs 72 lbs. We hike at least 3 miles every day (just around the property), but when they hike... Their average is about 10 miles. This is between 3-3.5 mph. They set the speed and are nice enough to let me come along for the stroll. Neither has ever exhibited any soreness after our romps. I believe these pups could hike a lot farther, but I don't want to push them. They just love to be out on the trail with me.
    By the way, nice pics of Holly & Jolly.

Images

Another tip when hiking with a dog:

Call ahead to hostels and motels to find out their policy regarding dogs. Many are fine with dogs, others charge an extra fee, a few do not allow dogs at all.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    By the way, nice pics of Holly & Jolly.
    The girls say thank you! They like to think they are rather photogenic. I try not to tell them they are right - It just goes to their heads!

Images

Rocco is a mixed breed, Yorkie and Border Collie. He weighs 55 pounds. I am currently living in Yuma AZ and it is hot out here - 115 degrees! We walk before sunrise (about 4:15 AM) and again after sunset. The heat definitely takes it out of him. On our 2.5 miles daily walks, when it is warm he will sit down and not move. Winter time - different story he is ready to go. When I do hike with him up Telegraph Pass (in the winter time) I do carry extra water for him and he drinks just about all of it. Telegraph Pass is about 5.5 miles R/T but it is straight up and a great workout. He sets the pace.
    The point I am making is by watching your dog he will tell you when he needs to stop. In my case, how far he can go is based on temperature and I don"t think it is safe to assume he will be able to cover x number of miles per day as mileage will vary.

I almost always hike with my dog, Kota. He's a Siberian who will turn 11 this fall and we usually cover 10 to 14 miles a day. We're not fast (actually I'm the slow one). Including breaks, lunch, etc. we probably only move 2.5 mph. Kota does carry all of his own gear. He does not do well in heat and so will not take him if the highs will be over 60 degrees.

He is getting older, though and at some point I'll have to leave him at home and take one of my other dogs. My dogs are working sled dogs, so they are in reasonable condition. This time of the year nobody is in great shape, since they've been laying around all summer, but we are starting to get them out on short training runs when it is cool enough. By October they will be running 25 miles pulling a training cart, so a hike with me probably seem like a vacation. I do know that all of my dogs get excited when they see me coming with a pack and seem very sad if they do not get to go along.

Hope this helps. It looks to me like everyone commenting here does what is best for their dog, which is what we should all do.

Last year I hiked the NJ section with my 5 month old Border Collie. We averaged 12 miles a day with "nap breaks" for the pup during the day. She loved it and it allowed us to bond like no other experience could. Based on discussions with my vet and readings I disagree with the post about damage to the joints. Yes, they are still developing and certain impact activities like Frisbee should be avoided. I had my puppy fully examined by my vet and we worked up to this mileage over the course of weeks. Looking back it does sound like a great deal each day but I hiked slowly due to arthritic knees and she seemed just fine. I know that someone will post that this was abuse but I would never do anything to harm an animal. My dog came from working stock and isn't content unless she has something to do. Now that her body has matured I will allow her to carry a pack of her own. Unless the temperature is too high I hike everyday, with my two dogs, for at least an hour to two hours.Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 6.40.40 AM.jpg

Images

I think it varies from dog, to dog. Some dogs can hike more miles than other dogs. Every person adjusts differently to trail life, and so do dogs. I don't think there is any "right" answer to the OP. Makes it kinda hard to know if we have helped the OP. Longfan - Did have we helped you with the answer you were looking for? Or, is there more information you are seeking?

As long as the dog is happy (and healthy) - That is all that matters. A dog who is unhappy will let you know they aren't having fun.

If gave me an idea of what other dogs/humans were able to do. Bear has had a neck injury and has seem to not enjoy the daily walks on the street but if we get on a trail (non-paved surface) he is seemeing to enjoy the walk. I also looking at doing some long distance hiking and wondered if the speed we were doing was below/above/at normal. We go about 2.5 mph and we have done 5 plus miles on the streeet so we are speed normal and could do more miles if we chose to so yes Waterrat yo have.

lostinfflood; I was told to keep the walks to 2-3 miles till Bear was 10 months to aid preventing hip-joint injury; not saying what you did was wrong; in fact is there issue with hip dysplacia in Border Collies?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Longfan View Post
    If gave me an idea of what other dogs/humans were able to do. Bear has had a neck injury and has seem to not enjoy the daily walks on the street but if we get on a trail (non-paved surface) he is seemeing to enjoy the walk. I also looking at doing some long distance hiking and wondered if the speed we were doing was below/above/at normal. We go about 2.5 mph and we have done 5 plus miles on the streeet so we are speed normal and could do more miles if we chose to so yes Waterrat yo have.

lostinfflood; I was told to keep the walks to 2-3 miles till Bear was 10 months to aid preventing hip-joint injury; not saying what you did was wrong; in fact is there issue with hip dysplacia in Border Collies?
    Glad we have been able to help. Very sorry to hear Bear has had neck issues. Poor guy! Hope he heals fast! You mentioned walking on the pavement seems to be something he isn't enjoying at the moment and on trail, he seemed to be enjoying things more. Have you noticed if the ups and downs (of the trail) and rocks also bother him the way pavement bothers him? Or, is it just walking on pavement?

Is Bear on a harness, or does his leash attach to his dog collar? If that is even a factor in his discomfort, then maybe switching things up might help a bit.

To answer the question you posed of lostinflood... Yes, Hip Dyspalasia is the most prevalent known genetic disease that affects Border Collies. That might be one of the reasons you were cautioned to build Bear up to longer hikes.

I am not a vet, but I have noticed different vets follow different schools of thoughts. I have also found my dogs to be better judges (than a lot of vets) as to what they can/can't handle. If you have concerns about longer hikes for Bear, then you should go with that feeling and slowly build up the distance. Always better to err on the side of caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    Glad we have been able to help. Very sorry to hear Bear has had neck issues. Poor guy! Hope he heals fast! You mentioned walking on the pavement seems to be something he isn't enjoying at the moment and on trail, he seemed to be enjoying things more. Have you noticed if the ups and downs (of the trail) and rocks also bother him the way pavement bothers him? Or, is it just walking on pavement?

Is Bear on a harness, or does his leash attach to his dog collar? If that is even a factor in his discomfort, then maybe switching things up might help a bit.

To answer the question you posed of lostinflood... Yes, Hip Dyspalasia is the most prevalent known genetic disease that affects Border Collies. That might be one of the reasons you were cautioned to build Bear up to longer hikes.

I am not a vet, but I have noticed different vets follow different schools of thoughts. I have also found my dogs to be better judges (than a lot of vets) as to what they can/can't handle. If you have concerns about longer hikes for Bear, then you should go with that feeling and slowly build up the distance. Always better to err on the side of caution.
    We have used a harness because his head a neck are about equal in size all his life so a collar will slip off! I have made and used once a harness that does not have a "collar" (something that goes around his neck) insted it goes more against his chest/shoulders; he walked a bit better in that than the usual harness. I am lalso thinking the heat of the pavement is warm and his feet get hot. Also being black he heats quickly on the street where there is little or no shade; while the trails tend to have lighter color surface and SHADE!

I plan ti get out tomorrow early and see if the cooler temps and lower humidity make him happier!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Have a 13 month old Lab that loves to hike these days. We started her off on the trail at 9 weeks "had to carry her most of the way at that age but got her out on the trail was the point" last weekend did Mt. Osceola 4,340 ft with the dog about 1.5 to 2 hrs up. She carries her own pack with water and food about 7.5 lbs. I am thinking of booties for her after this hike. The trail was very, very rocky front paws are a little worn on the edge but rear to have a trail this rock except on ridgelines. We average most hikes 2 mph but again depends on terrain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Longfan View Post
    We have used a harness because his head a neck are about equal in size all his life so a collar will slip off! I have made and used once a harness that does not have a "collar" (something that goes around his neck) insted it goes more against his chest/shoulders; he walked a bit better in that than the usual harness. I am lalso thinking the heat of the pavement is warm and his feet get hot. Also being black he heats quickly on the street where there is little or no shade; while the trails tend to have lighter color surface and SHADE!

I plan ti get out tomorrow early and see if the cooler temps and lower humidity make him happier!!
    I figured you had already been using a harness, but thought I would ask. Usually the simplest thing to try...

Good luck with Bear tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

Well he was a bit happier bit still prefered the gravel/rock over pavement; we slowed a bit but also walked 6.25 miles took us about 2:30-2:30 which is 2.5-2.7 miles an hour

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++