WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Question Bear's and Wild Hog's

Girlfriend and I was talking tonight about hiking. She ask about bear spray since we don't carry any firearms with use. She ask about bear spray. I told her i ran into a bear less than 30yds from me coming from Fontana Dam (at the end of the blk top) it seen me, I seen it, and it ran one way and i the other ( I didn't run,but i sure wanted too).lol,anyway , I don't have a problem with Bear as I do with Wild Hog's !! We are going to start taking some Bear spray just to be on the safe side due to her family wanting use to take it which isn't a problem.. We would like to know if Bear spray would work on WILD HOG'S? Thanks,HS

Images

Bear spray is just another name for pepper spray as far as I know.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Bear spray is really only needed in grizzly territory.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

When Ihiked the smokies this year, I stopped at clingman's dome and listened to the ranger tell hikers that bear spray was useless, too many variables, wind distance, aim. Most likely you would never hit the bear in the face so it would just be extra weight.

Images

You have to be careful with bear spray that you don't walk into the mist yourself. It will disable you for quite some time. Lots of people buy and carry bear spray around here in Montana...and there are plenty of accidents where it gets set off by mistake.

Wild hogs are even rarer to see than bears. In several years of systematically hiking trails in the GSMNP, I only saw one mama hog with a baby. I saw lots of footprints, and even more rooted up ground, but only that one sow. As with lots of other animals, you're much more likely to see them if you start hiking before dawn. Conversely, if you don't want to run into them, wait until full daylight to leave camp.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Ran into a momma boar (wild pig?) and 3 or 4 piglets on a day hike this summer between Wilding Stair Gap and Rock Gap. Momma took off running one way and the piglets took off the other way. They won't bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    When Ihiked the smokies this year, I stopped at clingman's dome and listened to the ranger tell hikers that bear spray was useless, too many variables, wind distance, aim. Most likely you would never hit the bear in the face so it would just be extra weight.
    I don't think anyone needs bear spray on the AT. However, I was surpised a ranger said this. Bear spray is like any other weapon, it's useless if you don't train with it and know it's limitations. It's not useless, rather it's the idiots that misuse it that make it useless.

I've seen a lot of rangers carry pistols, that remark makes me wonder what kind of training they go through.

Lots of hogs north side of Fontana lake. We hiked the BMT (sobo) this past spring. Had several encounters with them. One group had between 8 and 12. All were very large. They beat a hasty exit when they saw us.

This summer on my hike form Newfound Gap to Hot Springs, NC I took a can of Wasp & Hornet Spray. I saw only 1 bear never had to use it. It a lot cheaper than Bear Spray and just as effective.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    This summer on my hike form Newfound Gap to Hot Springs, NC I took a can of Wasp & Hornet Spray. I saw only 1 bear never had to use it. It a lot cheaper than Bear Spray and just as effective.
    If you're going to carry that with you, could you do me a favor and clear the yellow jacket nests out of the privies while you hike?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Lots of hogs north side of Fontana lake. We hiked the BMT (sobo) this past spring. Had several encounters with them. One group had between 8 and 12. All were very large. They beat a hasty exit when they saw us.
    Hey Kanati, its been sometime ago since we have talked. i was wondering about you the last time i was in town. Hope all is well and its good to hear from you. Thanks for the information but it's more less to help with the family back home when we are hiking.HS

Images

You will be lucky if you see a bear - 95% chance it will run away. In the 5% that it doesn't, it probably smells improperly stored food. Chasing the bear away with pots and pans and loud shouts should work just fine. In very rare instances, I bear might bluff charge you - - it's not an all out leap - just a move in your direction- - as long as you just stand there and don't run, you're still fine. Bear spray (outside of grizzly country) is completely unnecessary.

Wild boar are not aggressive to humans at all whatsoever - - I have stood in a grassy parking lot right next to wild boar on a couple of occasions in Joyce Kilmer - it's just like being around pigs or cows - assuming you don't harass them or disturb their young - - they might be hostile toward a dog. Dogs should remain leashed around boars. Again, no spray needed.

Not joining the debate but this guy puts it well with plenty of data as well as common sense to back it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb To answer the only question you asked

> We would like to know if Bear spray would work on WILD HOGS?

I did an Internet search for

pepper spray wild hogs

and found a couple of ANECDOTES (note the word) that pepper spray would, indeed, work against wild hogs.

Make certain, however, that you carry BEAR spray and not a canister designed for humans. The latter is worthless against people, let alone charging animals.
    Also, learn to properly use it BEFORE you head off into the wild. If, by some small chance, you have a hog attacking you (quite rare, but these animals ARE dangerous), you do NOT want to spend time reading the instruction manual!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow mind View Post
    Not joining the debate but this guy puts it well with plenty of data as well as common sense to back it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y
    I watched most of this - it is reasonable for grizzly country - - being an AT forum, I assumed that we were talking about this neck of the woods - - I have encountered multiple bears on the AT - mostly in GA and NJ - - all but three have run away - - two had to be chased off with pots and pans, the other circled our camp for an hour and then just went away - - the vast majority turn tail and run like a deer. In grizzly country (Alaska and B.C.) I have carried a small .22 pistol (long ago) and bear spray (more recently) - - I have seen 2 kodiak grizzly bear (on the same day) - - both - - one ran, the other was a long way off on a river fishing and didn't see us - the spray was never used - - the .22 would obviously be a deterrent (not a bear killing gun for sure). It is my personal opinion that firearms have no place on the AT.

I did encounter a 400 pound bear stalking Guyot Campsite in New Hampshire last month - - he was the one of the two that had to be chased off with pots and pans. He went away and all was fine.
    Last edited by Papa D; 08-30-2012 at 20:41.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

pepper spray wild hogs

and found a couple of ANECDOTES (note the word) that pepper spray would, indeed, work against wild hogs.

Make certain, however, that you carry BEAR spray and not a canister designed for humans. The latter is worthless against people, let alone charging animals.
    Also, learn to properly use it BEFORE you head off into the wild. If, by some small chance, you have a hog attacking you (quite rare, but these animals ARE dangerous), you do NOT want to spend time reading the instruction manual!
    Wild hogs would not attack you - - I have been around them quite a bit in NC - - they just have no interest in you - - I've had 3 or 4 walk right down a trail I was walking up - - we moved to the side and they went on - -I have been within 10 or 15 feet of pigs in parking lots in Joyce Kilmer Forest (the national headquarters for wild hogs really). It would be pointless to spray them - they don't care about humans - - it would be like pepper spraying a deer or a goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D:1331681
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

pepper spray wild hogs

Wild hogs would not attack you - - I have been around them quite a bit in NC - - they just have no interest in you - - I've had 3 or 4 walk right down a trail I was walking up - - we moved to the side and they went on - -I have been within 10 or 15 feet of pigs in parking lots in Joyce Kilmer Forest (the national headquarters for wild hogs really). It would be pointless to spray them - they don't care about humans - - it would be like pepper spraying a deer or a goat.
    Only pepper a goat if you plan to eat it. Garlic and Rosemary are my preferred seasonings for goat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Only pepper a goat if you plan to eat it. Garlic and Rosemary are my preferred seasonings for goat.
    I met a girl in Kansas that lived in the back of her van in a straw bed with 2 goats - - they were the sweetest animals - - we all camped out under the stars on the high prairie near the KS / CO line. She was traveling from Cali - - I was on the road camping and climbing. This is total "thread shift" but I like goats.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-30-2012 at 21:12. Reason: My iPad is acting very weird.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D:1331685
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    I met a girl in Kansas that lived in the back of her van in a straw bed with 2 goats - - they were the sweetest animals - - we all camped out under the stars on the high prairie near the KS / CO line. She was traveling from Cali - - I was on the road camping and climbing. This is total "thread shift" but I like goats.
    I said on another thread that goats are almost the perfect animal. Pets, lawn mowers, milk, pack animal and meat. If they could just lay eggs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++