WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The only sections of TN/NC I know about hiking is the Smoky Mountains National Park. The good thing about hiking there is that there is lots of information about it. But there are also lots of rules if you're not familiar with them. If you are not familiar with it, start with this page http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm specifically checking out the PDF of the trail map. Read the rules on the 1st page and check out the trails on the 2nd.
    If you are just starting out, one hike I can suggest is a loop including Gregory Bald. Start at the South-Western corner of the park at Twenty Mile Ranger Station (a little to the left of Fontana Dam). You can make a loop out of staying at camp sites 92, 13, and 95 (though I usually make it a 2 night hike skipping 95). The 1st day is super simple. The second day gives you a feel for the kinds of hills you can encounter in GSMNP (but you're rewarded with a great view at the top at Gregory Bald. The next day is all down hill. It's something like 7 miles total, but if for any reason you feel like you can't go that far, you have the option of a night at 95.
    Another 3 nighter that comes to mind without huge distances is a loop starting in the opposite corner of the park from Cosby Camp Ground. Make a loop out of #34, #29, and Cosby Knob shelter.

Images

Have you figured out any exact dates? I would be in for a weekend trip.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++