WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which half would you do?

So looking at my finances, the wedding I'll need to attend (aforementioned in another thread) is going to take its toll. I think my best bet is to do half the trail instead of the full thing. This would put me on the trail roughly around June 13th-ish in 2013. I have mixed feelings on which half to do.

On one hand, the Southern side seems to be more romanticized with lots of sites and AT staples. The Northern part is more appealing for it's physical difficulty. I've never been to the Northeast either which is also appealing to me, I hear Maine is absolutely beautiful.

Just curious to know what others would do. Start at Springer and finish in Harper's Ferry or start at Harper's Ferry and finish on Katahdin?

Images

Default Which half would you do? - northern

Harpers Ferry is easy to get to on one's own. Going north will build your legs and feet for eastern PA. As it can be brutaly hot already in MD by mid-June, you consider starting from Delaware Water Gap and going north.

Another option is to delay your start until July and hike south from Katahdin.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Images

considering if you start at springer youd be hiking the south in the middle of summer, id either go north from DWG or a SOBO from kathadin, but i agree with bighodad as to seeing if you could start in july instead, as bugs and mud can be a big issue in june.maine by the way is spectacular, and NH even more so.

Try the coin flip method. Go to HF and flip a coin. Heads you walk north and tails you walk south. If it comes up heads and you find yourself wishing it were tails, then you will have learned that you really wanted to hike south so you go south. If it comes up heads and you are happy with that, walk north.

Easy. NOBO from HF.

North.. but i'm very biased by NH

NOBO from Harpers Ferry. simple

have to agree with a load of folks here...NOBO from Harper's Ferry is a really great hike!!

Images

I'm with Hikerboy. Skip Pennsy and start at DWG, or even at the Appalachian Trail Train Station in NY, going northward. If you find you have time, money and juice left in your legs when done, you can always go hit the Smokies, Grayson, Shenandoah or NC after summiting Big K.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

In a theoretical bubble where money, logistics, and the weather do not play I think your best bet is to hike the Northern most and Southern most quarters of the trail. I think they comprise the best "half" of the AT. In a more realistic vein I would also choose the northern half. Have fun

Appreciate all the opinions. I was leaning that NOBO way and so it is settled, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    Appreciate all the opinions. I was leaning that NOBO way and so it is settled, thanks!
    Sweet thread- half note. Glad you could get that settled for yourself Happy Hiking!!

I'd go north from harper's. The south is pretty, sure, but new England is stunning. You get to end on the magnificent Katahdin and not the green lump of springer. You also get the easy start of MD/PA/CT as a warmup before things get real steep.

My vote is for a North section. Realistically there are long stretches down south that are nice but after a few weeks of repeating the same thing, it gets a tad bit boring as the terrain is very similiar. The section from Troutville to the north gate of Shenadoah Nation Park is an example, a great place to go for a week but after a week or two you will find yourself counting the days.

One big plus for the south is the rhododendrons and far fewer rocks. If you want an "easy" hike cranking out the miles go south. If you start half way going north you will have plenty of time to get in shape for the fun stuff starting at Glencliff NH.

Northern Section, definitely

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

One more vote to go NOBO.

Start with the SOBO crowd at Katahdin and hike south. Enjoy the lakes region of Maine. The swimming is great! The mountains (with the exception of Katahdin) aren't really that tough until you get to the Bigelows, so you'll have some time to build up your legs before the Whites. After the Whites, take a few days off at Hanover, NH and enjoy the college town atmosphere before you hit the rolling hills of Vt. Don't miss the Inn at Long Trail and the Long Trail Brewing Co. down the hill to the east on Rte. 4. More lakes and swimming await you in southern Vt. and Mass. Ct. is a bit more civilized, NY and NJ have lots of road crossings with deli stops and small markets, and Pa. has the infamous rocks and water sources that are an expedition in themselves to get to. That's all I've done so far besides Georgia and a bit of Va.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++