WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    ADVISE! did you see a question in the first post? it was just a warning to all hikers. if we do not fit into HIS guidelines, he will not hike with use. the rules are a little gray, he drinks, but not that much. so, you need to drink like him, but first discuss how you use your phone.
    this is not judging people? of course it is we all make judgement calls on people on the trail. sometimes its just a gut feeling. other times it may just be the guitar on their pack. other posters have told him to lighten up, learn to accept and HYOH, but he defends his position. maybe he needs some Amish hiking partners.
    I never said you need to drink like me, or use a cell phone like me in order to hike with me. What I said was that I would not hike with people like that. Just b/c I would prefer to see a certain type of characteristics in a person to allow for a more amiable time with them does not mean I want to change them. Isn't that how we all figure out whether we wish to be friends with others?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Sounds like some good advice. The fact of the matter is NOBODY is like you and you can make other conform to your standards. If you dont like whats going on move on

Again another person who thinks I am trying to make others conform to my standards!!!! Why are so many of you stating these things I never said?? Seriously, what is wrong with me stating that I don't wish to hike with partiers, heavy drinkers, people that constantly just dump their trash on the trail, others that smoke in shelters, people that incessantly use their cell phones or check them every time they stop at a shelter, a view point, take a rest break, stop for a dump? If that is my choice, that is my HYOH!! And I know that doing the AT I will meet people like this, perhaps every day, but I will try to avoid them. Again, that does not make me a bad or judgmental person. I was like everyone else on the AT in 92 when the guy was carrying the gun in his pack. We were all glad to meet him, he was a great guy. But sooner or later, 90% of the people that he met tried to get as far away from hm as possible simply b/c he had the weapon. Does that make all those people judgmental?

Images

yes, it is how i figure out whether i wish to be friends with others. i just don't have my own thread on it
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

What kind of dweeb comes onto a social network and "announces" on his own private thread what he will and won't tolerate from those he deems worthy enough to hike with? Keep it to yourself, man. We don't care who you hike with as long as it isn't us!

CORRECTION: HikerMom will probably hike with ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Does that make all those people judgmental?
    Of course it does.

And I would make the same judgement and take the same action as you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Being View Post
    What kind of dweeb comes onto a social network and "announces" on his own private thread what he will and won't tolerate from those he deems worthy enough to hike with? Keep it to yourself, man. We don't care who you hike with as long as it isn't us!
    Who is the "We" you speak for? What this post shows is that over drinkers, drunkards, alcoholics, etc, can be as rude, beligerent and annoying in print as they are in person.

DS sure is takin' a beatin'. i agree with him mostly though

Images

This is an internet forum...a place for people to express their thoughts and opinions. OP started a thread expressing their opinion. Others now chime in and do the same. WB has never struck me as a place where someone posts a thread stating their likes and dislikes, then finds a hiking partner to match. This is not HikerMatch.com. This is WB. This is the place where HYOH is an answer that comes up time, and time again. WB is also the place where if people feel like they are being told how to hike their hike, they will come back with responses the poster doesn't like.

Different Socks - I have a question for you. This is the internet, so why does it matter what the rest of us think? Why are you worried about a bunch of people being "judgemental" at their keyboards? If you want a hiking buddy, the best way to go about it is to hit the trail. That is the best place to find someone who hikes at your pace, has similar habits, etc. You can't form an honest opinion of someone's "hike" until you are on the trail with them.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Who is the "We" you speak for? What this post shows is that over drinkers, drunkards, alcoholics, etc, can be as rude, beligerent and annoying in print as they are in person.
    The collective "we" who have already spoken out. FYI - I seldom drink at all and when I do, it's in moderation. But darn. Got that old cell phone. Point is, think each of us should have our own threads going on who we will tolerate hiking with - like this moron? Better yet, let's publish an ATC Directory with a list! Got a cell phone? Got a dog? Got booze? Smoke? Got a gun? Religious? Got weed?

Hike with who you dam well feel like hiking with - but get over yourself and stop publishing the creditials required.

I thought this thread might generate some attention when I first saw it...only thing more sacred than a man's booze is his bird dog. If you really want to get a guy upset start talking bad about his dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I thought this thread might generate some attention when I first saw it...only thing more sacred than a man's booze is his bird dog. If you really want to get a guy upset start talking bad about his dog.
    Or talking about taking away the booze from the bird dog...

Default To all the hikers that drink alcohol while on the trail......

Different socks likes bous

I took the OP to be about an often talked about issue, specificly the over use of alcohol and the party atmosphere which has grown on the AT. DS, a hiker with plenty of cred's was sharing his frustration with this issue and atmosphere and expressed his thoughts. The usual crowd has just decided that he would be the target of bullying. To bad. It's a serious topic. Thanks for bringing it up DS.

IMG_0489.jpg
    Ruger never drinks on the trail...he does love those trail towns tho...and he's always a gentledoberman.

Images

keep in mind that many people thru hike to get away from the immediacy of their problems in the 10th game perspective. some of those problems include substance abuse. alcoholics are not lepers. maybe walk a mile in someone else's shoes and if someone wants to get hammered once in awhile it's okay. by the way I've been sober for over 12 years

Images

IMG_0489.jpg
    Ruger never drinks on the trail...he does love those trail towns tho...and he's always a gentledoberman.
    Nice! Jolly tries to sneak beer away from people. When she gets busted, she just gives the big brown eyes, then a big doggy smile, and wags her tail. I think she would drink on the trail if I would let her. Holly likes beer every now and then, but doesn't like it as much as her sis.

Both are super friendly - Even if you take their beer away.

Images

I took the OP to be about an often talked about issue, specificly the over use of alcohol and the party atmosphere which has grown on the AT. DS, a hiker with plenty of cred's was sharing his frustration with this issue and atmosphere and expressed his thoughts. The usual crowd has just decided that he would be the target of bullying. To bad. It's a serious topic. Thanks for bringing it up DS.
    A good response and your welcome. Too bad you're right about the bullying. It's amazing how few of the people that have posted so far had said things positive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    keep in mind that many people thru hike to get away from the immediacy of their problems in the 10th game perspective. some of those problems include substance abuse. alcoholics are not lepers. maybe walk a mile in someone else's shoes and if someone wants to get hammered once in awhile it's okay. by the way I've been sober for over 12 years
    So perhaps, just maybe, possibly the posts I saw in other topics from those that say they go get hammered when they get to town were actually just bragging. If that's true, there were sure alot of braggers.

Agree 100%.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++