WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Wow step away from the keyboard
    Not angry. Just asking how I was bullying. I also fail to see where in this thread sexual orientation was ever mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    And neither am I. I fail to see your point.
    i got a PM. was told the wannabe/cyber cafe was for, how you say, "alternative lifestyles" it's cool though

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Here are the majority of my posts on this thread. Yes, I participated in thread drift. However, that was only AFTER the OP drifted on his own thread and it was already a free-for-all.

“Hike Your Own Hike and Live Your Own Life... Pretty easy and should be the same thing. If your hike doesn't include drinking, then don't hang out with those who choose to drink. I don't hang out with those who are drinking to get drunk. That is my choice - On and off the trail. If someone gets in my face with their drinking, I will deal with it as the situation arises. Have never met anyone who forced me to hang out with them so they could get drunk... I just walk away. I am not the drinking police.

Still, telling someone how they should hike their hike/live? Telling someone they can't go drink to get drunk (because that is not the way you hike/live)... That is on the same level as someone forcing their drunkenness on your hike. It goes both ways. If you don't want someone telling you how to hike your hike/live your life, then you have to respect they are hiking their own hike/living their own life.

Just my opinion.”

“My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If you present an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, you will get responses. Not always the responses you are looking for, but that is just the way it is. If you don't want responses, then don't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because you want them to change. They have to want to change. If you don't like a particular thing someone is doing, then don't hike with them. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Just be upfront with them about what you are looking for in a hiking partner.”

“But, if they are spending that much time drinking, then they aren't hiking. Perfect time to get out and hit the trail!

Just a thought, but... If someone chooses to spend their hike drinking.... Shouldn't that be their choice to make? Everyone hits the trail for different reasons. Their hike doesn't have to be your hike. Just like your hike doesn't have to be their hike.”

“But one post builds on another post and another post... That is just the way it is on WB. On the internet, ANYONE can read what they want into something someone says. A person cannot read the poster's body language, facial expressions, or hear the tone with which the thought is being expressed. Just like you took my postings and thought they were completely directed at you. I was using "you" as a a reference to "anyone." Given that, I will change the language of my post to read as follows:

My statements were made toward this thread in general. If you (Different Socks) have issue with my saying Hike Your Own Hike, then maybe you need to look at why you are feeling that way. It was a statement, an opinion... I thought this was a forum for expressing thought? There was no judgement directed toward any single person.

If a person presents an opinion/rant/thought on a forum, they will get responses. Not always the responses they want, but that is just the way it is. If a person does not want people to respond, then they shouldn't post on a public forum. Obviously, not everyone is going to agree. I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it.

People will not change because someone wants them to change. The other person has to want to change their behavior. If someone doesn't like a particular thing someone else is doing, then don't hike with that person. There is no shortage of hiking partners on the AT. Everyone should be upfront with others about what they are looking for in a hiking partner.

** It seems you are getting other views.

** You (Different Socks) can take my statement "I have also found that anyone coming here looking for a fight, will probably find it." however you want. It was an observation. It was a continuation of the thought not everyone will agree with what is said on a thread.”

“Being an adult means a person needs to know how to be able to compromise and deal with things. Rather than going up to someone and saying, "Don't do this..." there might be better approaches to the situation. Most people are willing to listen when somoene politely asks them not to do something. Sometimes, things don't spiral into a battle if the situation is approached in a calm, reasonable manner.”

“This is an internet forum...a place for people to express their thoughts and opinions. OP started a thread expressing their opinion. Others now chime in and do the same. WB has never struck me as a place where someone posts a thread stating their likes and dislikes, then finds a hiking partner to match. This is not HikerMatch.com. This is WB. This is the place where HYOH is an answer that comes up time, and time again. WB is also the place where if people feel like they are being told how to hike their hike, they will come back with responses the poster doesn't like.

Different Socks - I have a question for you. This is the internet, so why does it matter what the rest of us think? Why are you worried about a bunch of people being "judgemental" at their keyboards? If you want a hiking buddy, the best way to go about it is to hit the trail. That is the best place to find someone who hikes at your pace, has similar habits, etc. You can't form an honest opinion of someone's "hike" until you are on the trail with them.”

*** I went through and clarified when Different Socks quoted my posts. I fail to see how anything posted here can be construed as an attack. Different Socks was looking for opinions (that is what he stated) and he got them. Yes, I told him to hit the trail. Wasn't said with any malice. I have just found that things sort themselves out on the trail. What seems to be an issue behind a computer monitor/screen, is rarely ever an issue on the trail. Additionally, selecting someone to hike with based on their internet claims can also be misleading. Best to just get out there and find someone to hike with. People with the same hiking speed will tend to keep meeting up, and then take it from there.

What is wrong with that way of thinking?
    Nothing. Good, strong and reasonable statements. I apologize if I gave you any wrong impressions.

Not angry. Just asking how I was bullying. I also fail to see where in this thread sexual orientation was ever mentioned.
    I think it was just a joke

Images

Well if you pointing at me I'd like you to point out thepost that attacked the op. I don't attack people here. and no 1 else speaks for me. I started the cafe to Prevent thread drift on the serious threads.its in the humor forum. different socks thank you for your answer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Posted by WaterRat--Still, telling someone how they should hike their hike/live? Telling someone they can't go drink to get drunk (because that is not the way you hike/live)... That is on the same level as someone forcing their drunkenness on your hike. It goes both ways. If you don't want someone telling you how to hike your hike/live your life, then you have to respect they are hiking their own hike/living their own life.

I want to make it clear, NEVER in all the posts to this thread did I say people shouldn't drink, or smoke, or do drugs while on the AT or any other trail. I said I simply won't hike with you. Like the guy/girl that snores LOUD, you may choose to sleep as far away as possible, but you still don't like it. The smoker can smoke, simply ask that they do it away from your vicinity. Same for talking on the cell phone. And I am not saying I would state what that limit fir them would be!
    Out of all my posts - THAT was how it was decided I was bullying??? I thought I explained the whole "you" meaning directed at "anyone" thing? Do I really have to go back and clarify in each post? My statement was a generalization... It does go both ways. Anyone asking others to have respect for them, should expect that others will ask the same in return. OTHERS on this thread were posting how to live one's life and how to hike one's hike. My answer was directed at all of WB.

someone take this thread out back and shoot it

everyone is backpeddlin'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Nothing. Good, strong and reasonable statements. I apologize if I gave you any wrong impressions.
    Thank you, Different Socks. I wasn't trying to start anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I think it was just a joke
    Like I posted earlier... Over the internet, it is hard to see (by facial expressions) how someone meant something when they said it. It also came in at a time when I was being referred to as a bully.

I like jokes as much as anyone who likes a good laugh. I am sorry I failed to see for what you meant it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    everyone is backpeddlin'
    Stir the soup why don't cha.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty DPD View Post
    Stir the soup why don't cha.
    just an observation kid

Like I posted earlier... Over the internet, it is hard to see (by facial expressions) how someone meant something when they said it. It also came in at a time when I was being referred to as a bully.

I like jokes as much as anyone who likes a good laugh. I am sorry I failed to see for what you meant it to be.
    I didnt make the comment, I just said that I thought it was a joke. Lighten up, its the freakin internet

i got a PM. was told the wannabe/cyber cafe was for, how you say, "alternative lifestyles" it's cool though
    Well, that's a surprise to me, as well. Not that it would matter to me one way or the other. But most of the people I've seen talking in the cafe have been middle-aged, married grandparents. Including myself. Who like to hike. And maybe BS with each other a little bit.

just an observation kid
    I feel 40 yrs younger, thanks, Oh my coment was just an obsevation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by thirsty dpd View Post
    i feel 40 yrs younger, thanks, oh my coment was just an obsevation as well.
    ok. ........

Images

Totally news to me. I imagine my boyfriend would be a bit surprised by that news as well.

Totally news to me. I imagine my boyfriend would be a bit surprised by that news as well.
    maybe go spend some more time with him and not on WB, sheesh, let it go

Images

I'm glad I read over this thread. Reminds me why I only visit here once every few months. See y'all round Thanksgiving.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

That went extremely downhill very fast.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++