WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default when an ultra light guy goes car camping...

...just finished packing to go "car camping" at Katahdin. What an amazing experience it is to treat the back seat of my car like a really really big pack. Really big. Any weight obsessed hikers have the binge experience of car camping lately?
    Lazarus

not car camping, think bigger...pop-up trailer with a king size bed on one end and a full sized bed on the other...3 burner stove...sink...port-a-potty...total luxury compaired to my one person tent, super cat stove, sleeping pad and quilt!!!

Backpacking sure is easier than car camping. I fill the truck up, bed and back seat, for an overnight car trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    not car camping, think bigger...pop-up trailer with a king size bed on one end and a full sized bed on the other...3 burner stove...sink...port-a-potty...total luxury compaired to my one person tent, super cat stove, sleeping pad and quilt!!!
    Wow! Headed out there in style! The difference between car/luxury pop-up trailer camping and backpacking is just astounding. Of course, I always catch myself thinking about weight when I am loading up the truck for car camping. Doesn't make a difference, but the thoughts are still there.

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

I take the camper out occasionally and still seem to go pretty minimal. I do take the guitar. I think I like it simple because I don't feel like hauling things back up to the second story apartment. Guess that is where my ultralight tendencies take over.

Images

im packing for a 500 mile kayak trip. posting on paddling forums they said my basic gear (cooking, shelter, quiilts and clothes) would be 30-40 lbs. mine is 10#. there is so much room left i can take extra stuff, but i can't think that way LOL. their gear list look like a REI shopping list.
    it was a hard habit to get into and even harder to break
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Ultralighters go motorcycle camping. (unless they prefer to push pedals).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I recently did a two night camp with a 6 person tent (for 2 of us) and the Waeco cooler and the big butane stove, and the dog!
    Couldn't help myself - still took the alky stove and a couple of light mugs for a brew while out walking.

Where are you paddling?

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    im packing for a 500 mile kayak trip. posting on paddling forums they said my basic gear (cooking, shelter, quiilts and clothes) would be 30-40 lbs. mine is 10#. there is so much room left i can take extra stuff, but i can't think that way LOL. their gear list look like a REI shopping list.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    That paddle trip sures sounds good...where you goin?

Images

My gear is all interchangeable from backpacking, bicycle touring, car camping and Camper-van. The only thing that changes is the galley and menu, and how much gas the camper-van burns! The sea kayak gear will come when my knees give out......................there is only 365 days in a year.
    Last edited by coach lou; 09-04-2012 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by dink View Post
    Now THAT's how to pack for a backpacking trip!

I just purchased a small 21 ft. travel trailer for camping, race camping, and getting the family out there. I still plan on backpacking and have all my gear, but only the grandkids day hike with me, have not taken them backpacking...yet. My wife has medical problems and I wanted a hard side camper for working at the races for some peace and quiet. I still need to keep the camper's weight down so my 6 cylinder will be able to pull it ok. No soda stoves but easy on all my cast iron cookers too.
    BTW, Happy 30th Anniversary to me and my wife today!!!!

Images

When a car camper goes backpacking...

See half of the thru hikers at the top of amacalola falls starting their hike.
    You're not going to live forever.
    Find this to be true.
    Use your past as a guide.
    While you're alive, live.

++ New Posts ++