WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

:banana What is your pack weight?

I have been working on getting my pack down in weight. Started off earlier this year around 42 lb. that's dry weight with tent, 2 days of food and two 32 oz bottles water. Now got it down to 32 lb. What's your pack weight loaded?

Started out at about 35 pounds...down to about 22 lbs with 5 days of supplies in warmer weather and 25 in cold weather. Sure is nice not carrying the extra weight. Not there yet but closer than I was.

between 24 and 26 now was more thanks to all who helped me get there

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It depends on the weather/season and what trail I'm hiking. I don't think you can really say, "My pack weight is..."

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Four days in March with 4 days of food and 1 liter of water = 17.04 lbs. Two days in June with food and 1 liter of water = 10.59 lbs.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paws60 View Post
    I have been working on getting my pack down in weight. Started off earlier this year around 42 lb. that's dry weight with tent, 2 days of food and two 32 oz bottles water. Now got it down to 32 lb. What's your pack weight loaded?
    I hiked the Dick's Creek Gap, GA to Deep Gap, NC section over the weekend and my total pack weight was 17lbs!Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

There is no way anyone can really answer that question because there are a lot of factors that are left out - what time of year, where are you hiking, are you hiking with someone and finally what do I want from my hike. If I'm leaving like a normal Northbounder starting in Georgia in say March or April then I might leave with around 12 - 14 pounds including 5 days food/water. If I'm leaving for a Southbound hike then I'm going to leave with less weight around 10 - 12 pounds including 5 days food/water. I try not to go into towns to often because I find them a destraction from why I'm out there but that is just my style. If I'm hiking out West say on the PCT then I'm going to carry different gear compare to the East Coast. Also if I'm hiking with someone then I'm likely to carry extras to be more social.

My suggestion is this. Don't worry about what others carry - I never do. First figure out what you want to gain from your hike, do you want to hike with the crowd and hike Northbound or have a more sole trip such as a Southbound hike? Do you want to spend a lot of time in town or more time in the woods? Are you going to be hiking with someone? Couples and hiking partners always carry extras.

After you figure out how you want to hike the trail then figure out the best way to do the trail in your own style. If your planning on making a lot of town stops for example then you can figure on resupplying often, if you plan to hike short days then you will want a warmer sleeping bag/clothes.

Hope this helps.

Wolf

Journal Entries

With only 2 days food, and 2 L water, I would be about 15 lbs most of the year.

Images

I never weigh it.....I might have a heart attack.

Garlic
    Images

That would be just over 15 pounds for me, too. My "base weight", without food and water, is just over eight pounds for most three season hiking.

Congratulations on lightening your load, and good luck if you decide to continue down that path. It took me four seasons and many miles to drop from a 40-pound pack to my current load. I've been happy with this pack for the last five seasons and I doubt it will change much any more.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I'm down to about 28-30 lbs. fully-loaded with 5 days food and water. I could easily go another 3-5 lbs. lighter, but I don't have the money to spend on hiking gear right now, and I'm not in a position to do much hiking anyway, so it's not worth it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    With only 2 days food, and 2 L water, I would be about 15 lbs most of the year.
    for a new person 7.5 lb pack with 3 lb food and 4.5 lb water might be hard to achieve. hes starting with 42 lbs. maybe you can break the 7.5 lb for them.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

3 season base weight = 14 lbs.

--louis

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks folks for your comments, some of you with the 15 to 20lb packs loaded, my hat Is off to you. I personaly can't see losing any more then 2 to 4 lb. Off my present pack weight. Hoping to start my first section on the AT from Springer Mt. to Fantana Dam by mid September would be very happy to get my pack down to 30lb.

Thanks folks for your comments, some of you with the 15 to 20lb packs loaded, my hat Is off to you. I personaly can't see losing any more then 2 to 4 lb. Off my present pack weight. Hoping to start my first section on the AT from Springer Mt. to Fantana Dam by mid September would be very happy to get my pack down to 30lb.
    Post your pack list with weights and you will more than likely got lets of advice.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Forget "base weight", I get that...............all in with food for X days and water, to me under 30lbs total is good, under 25 is excellent.............after spending some time on WB this weekend I went through my list again............I must be missing something.

...........and was on Nimblewill Nomad's site this weekend as well...............I have a long way to go.

Finally got to about 30lbs with 4-5 days of food and ample water (and an Lb. of "hooch" / booze)............again, I have some room to drop total weight.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I never weigh it.....I might have a heart attack.
    I've seen the pack in question, I think I'd have a heart attack if I ever carried it!

I will admit that extra coffee you were carrying was much appreciated.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    There is no way anyone can really answer that question because there are a lot of factors that are left out - what time of year, where are you hiking, are you hiking with someone and finally what do I want from my hike. If I'm leaving like a normal Northbounder starting in Georgia in say March or April then I might leave with around 12 - 14 pounds including 5 days food/water. If I'm leaving for a Southbound hike then I'm going to leave with less weight around 10 - 12 pounds including 5 days food/water.
    Wolf, you have more hiking experience than I'll probably ever have - may I ask what your gear list is that gives you 10-12 lbs with 5 days food and water?

I don't think I could get *just* 5 days food and water and come in under 12 lbs!

Journal Entries

I have low volume pack. It forces difficult decisions. it simply won't hold more than 12-14lbs of stuff. It makes for great hiking and some tough camping.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

A lot of it depends on personal preference and how you hike. It's a learning process to decide what you think it is worth carrying in your pack and what is not.

Some of these folks that carry 10-15lb packs love to hike and that's the only reason they're out there, these are the ones that are commonly walking for 12+ hours a day when they are on the trail.

Other people like to put in a slightly shorter day, get to camp at a reasonable time and relax, because of this we bring a few more creature comforts because we will be in camp for longer.

Still others are out on the trail to camp more than hike, a lot of these people only hike a couple miles a day going from campsite to campsite, but they sure have fun doing it. (also be sure to make friends with these folks, a lot of times they have real coffee with them )

Just remember, there's no wrong way!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++