WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

There was always a moose at Chimney Pond you could count on called "JR" by the rangers. He would hang out near the privy and at night his eyes would glow as if to light the path.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Several years ago I had lean to #9 at Chimney Pond at Baxter which is set back in the woods. Me and a friend went on dayhike up Katahdin and came back down to our shelter. There was a mother and calf right in front of it. We went over to the pond and mentioned it to the ranger who said that the mother and calf had been hanging around for a few weeks, and wait awhile. We went back in 20 minutes and the mother and calf were behind the shelter about 100 feet grazing so we went in the shelter to change and get some food. A few minutes later we hear some grunting and along comes baby moose to visit. Lean to #9 is a newer style and has the standard Maine "deacons" bench under the overhang. Baby moose came up to the shelter softly grunting until its front legs were up against the deacons bench and then the critter leaned in as far as it could. We werent planning to feed it and wondered even if we did, what would we feed a moose? but it was obvious that someone figured it out. We sat there and watched for awhile but as soon as the calf figured out it wasnt going to get anything it wandered away.

Not Maine, but Achilles and I ran across this one in August in the Rockies. I think it was the fifth one he had seen this season, with the others in NH and ME. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...4-Shiras-Moose

Images

There was always a moose at Chimney Pond you could count on called "JR" by the rangers. He would hang out near the privy and at night his eyes would glow as if to light the path.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Can you hunt moose in Maine? Sounds like a few seasons are in order. Demand for classes on how to hunt wolves here in Montana sky-rocketed recently. Dang over-sized rats are out of control!

There is a limited moose hunting season in Maine, but its a lottery to get a permit. Baxter State Park is 2/3rd a wildlife refuge so they cant be bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    Can you hunt moose in Maine? Sounds like a few seasons are in order. Demand for classes on how to hunt wolves here in Montana sky-rocketed recently. Dang over-sized rats are out of control!

I hope by over-sized rats you mean humans since the combined population of wolves in Idaho/Montana is around 2,000 (with 545 of these killed last year) while the combined human population of these two states is 2,582,184. Should the humans be thinned?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I hope by over-sized rats you mean humans since the combined population of wolves in Idaho/Montana is around 2,000 (with 545 of these killed last year) while the combined human population of these two states is 2,582,184. Should the humans be thinned?
    THE ANSWER IS YES - WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE! - Hey Tipi - - we've got a little crowd that'll be in Joyce Kilmer on Nov 2,3,4 - join in if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    THE ANSWER IS YES - WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE! - Hey Tipi - - we've got a little crowd that'll be in Joyce Kilmer on Nov 2,3,4 - join in if you can.
    Thanks for the head's up. My last trip (September) I went 17 days without seeing another backpacker. Send me a message of your planned route, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    No. I mean wolves. And in Maine, apparently moose. The wolves ate up all the food supply of the cougar (oops Yellowstone ecologists). Time to thin the herd. We tried organizing a drum circle to support the cougar but that didn't seem to work. That was weird, cause that usually works. <shrugs>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++