WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trail Magic in Connecticut - Looking For Some Companions

Is anybody in the tristate area interested in joining me atop Bear Mountain, CT, this coming weekend to work some trail magic for some late-start SOBOs that are coming through the area? It will most likely be this Saturday - I am talking to one of the hikers to confirm what day they will be on the summit of Bear. I'm thinking about bringing pizza, beer and brownies. I'll be traveling up from Bridgeport, CT and will hike to the summit around midday. Any and all are welcome to join us/help me out!

Ranger

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerPhil View Post
    Is anybody in the tristate area interested in joining me atop Bear Mountain, CT, this coming weekend to work some trail magic for some late-start SOBOs that are coming through the area? It will most likely be this Saturday - I am talking to one of the hikers to confirm what day they will be on the summit of Bear. I'm thinking about bringing pizza, beer and brownies. I'll be traveling up from Bridgeport, CT and will hike to the summit around midday. Any and all are welcome to join us/help me out!

Ranger
    I would love to do this but am spoken for next Sat with in-town activities. Good luck. Schlepping goodies to the top of Bear s/b interesting.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

If the coming week goes smoothly, I was planning to head up and wrap up at the Undermountain trail. This could be nice to work in.

I'll be in touch.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good luck. I don't believe that you will find many thru-hikers in Connecticut this time of the year. If you still want to be a trail angle it probably would be a better bet to do it where the trail crosses RT41.
    Grampie-N->2001

I'm meeting up with a specific group of thru hikers that I have contacted. Normally, I don't do trail magic, but this particular group seems great. They were all late-starters.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerPhil View Post
    I'm meeting up with a specific group of thru hikers that I have contacted. Normally, I don't do trail magic, but this particular group seems great. They were all late-starters.
    That's mostly the only way I do trail magic, myself. Everytime I try to do a random thing on a trail crossing, it doesn't ever seem to work out. I like to do trail magic for the contacted ones. If you like, I will PM you my contact info so when they reach central VA, I can catch them, as well, if they contact me.

Remember that Bear mtn on a weekend is going to have a lot of day hikers too.

Images

Jake's right. A couple of alternative spots to Bear's summit: the junction of the Bear Mountain Road trail with the A.T. at the south foot of the summit cone, and the junction of Northwest Road with the A.T. just to the cone's north. A popular spot to do trail magic is the Guilder Pond picnic area north of Everett. If that works for your thrus' schedule, that would be easy, no packing in and out required, as would the Rt. 41 crossing Grampie mentioned.

Images

Bear Mountain would be an awfully cool and very scenic place to do trail magic, though, so I like the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Bear Mountain would be an awfully cool and very scenic place to do trail magic, though, so I like the idea.
    that others might be going to to actually see the scenery and not a pizza and beer party

Images

There's plenty of room up there, Jake. I'd have the little party over at the true summit 100 yards or so northwest of the rock pile.

Images

There's plenty of room up there, Jake. I'd have the little party over at the true summit 100 yards or so northwest of the rock pile.
    Just practice leave no trace. If you leave trash of there, the ghost of the pitch pines will haunt you forever, RangerPhil. Probably don't need me to tell you that, but it never hurts to remind.

yea, i've been there.. remember? Maybe you've never been to the summit of a mountain and had it all to yourself and been able to sit up there listening to nothing but the wind and enjoy things. It is kinda nice.. try it sometime.

there is more to LNT than picking up trash.

Images

I apologize if I did or said anything to upset or offend you, Jake. I hadn't forgotten that you have been to that fine mountain, one of my personal favorites. Heaven forfend that the extent of your hiking and climbing c.v., prowess and savvy escape one's mind for so long as a moment, exceptional and special as they be.

In fact, in April 2011 I had a very nice time to myself on that very crag. Experienced sleet, in fact, in mid-April in Connecticut. Wondrous place. Do you posit, drawing upon your extensive experience, that such solitude, desirable as it can be, is likely in that place on a nice weekend in September, mid-day?

And once we're done with LNT, I eagerly await your next lesson. May I recommend courtesy and grace towards one's fellow hikers, and towards people generally? Grand example of humanity that you be, doubtless that will be a very deep pool from which you will draw.

K have fun with your pizza and beer party in the woods. 1 day back to Great Barrington, 3 days from Kent... calling ahead their own hiker feed is pretty amusing.

maybe pack a saw and do a bit of trailwork while you are at it.

hell, maybe i'll bring my limb saw this weekend in the whites in case i see something to take care of.
    Last edited by jakedatc; 09-11-2012 at 18:45.

Images

Right. If you re-read the thread, you'll note I won't be participating in this hiker feed, was only giving support to someone trying to do something nice for a pack of hungry throughs. I'm sure the Whites will be thrilled to be blessed by your presence. I was blessed to have a very fine day there Sunday. Happy Trails, !

"hungry throughs" have packs full of food

I'm sure they will be starving after resupplying in Lee or Great Barrington. They have 1500mi to go.. they should probably work on that.

(ps if you haven't gathered before, I do not believe in hiker feeds at all and on a popular day hiking summit on a weekend is definitely not ok in my book)

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    I'm sure they will be starving after resupplying in Lee or Great Barrington. They have 1500mi to go.. they should probably work on that.

(ps if you haven't gathered before, I do not believe in hiker feeds at all and on a popular day hiking summit on a weekend is definitely not ok in my book)
    i hear ya. there's a damn road crossing 2-3 times a day in that area. no need for a feed there or any other place

Here is the thing.....the op said he was actually talking to one of the late sobo hikers in the group. They might be huge fans of the idea...... Just a thought.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++