WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yea, They could also meet them in Salisbury, Falls Village, Cornwall, Cornwall Bridge, or Kent and have pizza. Bringing it up to a summit makes it seem more cool for the people doing it.. not the hikers. they will go around telling everyone that they were "trail angels" and saying how cool they were.

Also, what if something slows them down or the people can't meet them with pizza... they just left their resupply PLANNING to have outside food brought to them. so they are either unprepared or carrying an extra day of food for no reason.
    Last edited by jakedatc; 09-11-2012 at 19:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedatc View Post
    Yea, They could also meet them in Salisbury, Falls Village, Cornwall, Cornwall Bridge, or Kent and have pizza. Bringing it up to a summit makes it seem more cool for the people doing it.. not the hikers. they will go around telling everyone that they were "trail angels" and saying how cool they were.

Also, what if something slows them down or the people can't meet them with pizza... they just left their resupply PLANNING to have outside food brought to them. so they are either unprepared or carrying an extra day of food for no reason.

I agree that a whole lot of things could go wrong but it is a really nice gesture. I hope it all works out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    I apologize if I did or said anything to upset or offend you, Jake. I hadn't forgotten that you have been to that fine mountain, one of my personal favorites. Heaven forfend that the extent of your hiking and climbing c.v., prowess and savvy escape one's mind for so long as a moment, exceptional and special as they be.
    I do find it disturbing that you bring up how fast I hike regardless of the topic..

Folks - I OFFERED TO DO THIS as a specific gesture to a specific group of people going SOBO (including one young female who spent a large potion of the Maine section by herself), whom I am trying to support. It is my way of saying, "welcome to Connecticut, my home state, I hope it treats you well."

I am still amazed that some people are offended by the prospect of others doing things which have absolutely no bearing on their lives. If you're a critic, go hike your own hike. If you're not a critic, then come join us somewhere on the CT-MA border...I make damn fine brownies.

-Ranger

"thinking about bringing pizza, beer and brownies"

"including one young female"

nice.

I will still say there are better ways and places to help out.

I will hike my own hike and it will be far from where anyone would bring a picnic.

By "young" I mean that she is under 30.

...remove head from dark place, cretan.

Images

I do find it disturbing that you bring up how fast I hike regardless of the topic..
    Just following your singular example.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Or maybe they think it will be a fun thing to do, and maybe they want to get in a hike themselves, take in and share the view. As long as they clean up after themselves, sounds OK to me.

Not everyone is so vain and insecure as you'd have it - how do you know what motivates these people, and who are you, ignorant as you are of RangerPhil, to sit in judgment? Are you not instead projecting some narcissism of your own on this guy you've never met? Work on your people skills, your humility and your respect for others. Instead of trail building, do a hiker feed yourself. A lesson in serving others and being gracious, respectful, generous and kind. Might do you some good. Heck, I bet the recipients of your generosity might even politely listen to your stories of how long and how far you can hike in a day upside down on a 30% grade in a rainstorm.

*ignored* goodbye Driver.
    Last edited by jakedatc; 09-12-2012 at 09:33.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Here is the thing.....the op said he was actually talking to one of the late sobo hikers in the group. They might be huge fans of the idea...... Just a thought.....
    Don't let such common sense get in the way of wagging fingers at those inferior souls who see and do in the least bit different from oneself, HikerMom. As Mags said, Hike MY Hike, Dammit! http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

Images

Trail Angels, Bugs & Yogi!

Calling ahead your own trail feed 2 days out of resupply town = yogi-ing.

Yogi-ing = begging!! We actually look for an "excuse" sometimes to hang out with hikers that aren't in 2 themselves so much. You are correct when you say it's just as much about us as it is them. That's how relationships work... it's not one-sided. One- sided relationships suck... have you ever been in one? Give and take.. it's how we roll!!

Annnnnd I still believe that hiker feeds are unnecessary and more about the givers patting themselves on the back than any snacks the hikers may need. This is especially true in the south with NOBOs getting feeds through multiple states when they have hardly gone anywhere, and apparently now with SOBO's in areas with many places to resupply in town.

and it's not trail magic.

Ok... that's fine, if that's what you believe is true... Annnnnd that is all I got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++