WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for over 50 hikers to go March 1 NOBO

Hey there! Finally looking to do my DREAM! I am a slower hiker and somewhat newbie. I have backpacked Mt. Rainier several times but that was a while back (10 years ago!). I am looking for male or female hikers to go sometime around March 1, 2013 Northbound from Springer. I am from Charleston, SC.

If you're also slow, then let's go !!

Catcat

I hike, therefore I am.
    Images

March 1st 2013 is on a weekend. That weekend their should be about 150 hikers starting off from Springer with intentions to hike to Maine. I'm not sure you understand just how full the woods will actually be on that weekend. It's pretty much a steady flow of thru hikers. 45-65 thru hikers will be camped at Hawk Mountain Shelter on the 2nd. You couldn't be alone on the trail if you wanted to be on that weekend. That is a big weekend for starting a thru. I say this because of what I've seen as a March 1st starter many times. Maybe things have changed. Maybe now in 2013 you won't see anyone, only the people you contact thru this post. I doubt it though.

Images

You may be a slower hiker, but I'm even slower. I have to wait until 2016 until I try again. Good luck with your hike.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

I am a slow hiker also due to having foot surgery Dec. last year. I was going on the 1 st of March but i am now thinking i or we should start during the week. Say tues or weds.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

50 Hikers is a pretty big group
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

What Heald said is correct: there will be a large group starting on 3/1 next year. Plenty of variety, too -- lots of slow hikers, lots of fast hikers, lots of over-50 hikers, too. If you are sure about your date, and you want to make it easy on yourself, make reservations *now* at the Hiker Hostel for the night before. They'll give you a place to sleep, a nice breakfast, and a ride to the trail. You'll meet a dozen other hikers starting the same day, and start making some of the trail friendships that might last for months or years.

Early in the hike, you'll end up camping with the same people most every night. That's just how it happens. You'll have a similar pace, or at least a similar mileage goal, and end up talking, eating, and hanging out with them. It's much easier to find a compatible partner from among those people than to find one on the internet ahead of time.

So just go by yourself, and be flexible. You'll find people to hike with if you so desire. But it's always better to be self-contained to start.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

150 hikers leaving from Springer on the same weekend. What a circus! I love hiking the trail but I don't think I would ever want to be part of that.

Leisa,
    I did my thru in 2011 (if the name didn't give it away), but I also live in Charleston, well N. Charleston, but whatever. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can with planning, advice etc. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. There are a few, but not many, thru hikers from Charleston, and it's something that I try to encourage any way, any time, I can.

Hot Sauce

that will be crazy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    50 Hikers is a pretty big group
    glad im not the only one that read that LOL
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Plenty of hikers over the age of 50 to choose from. But a heads up. Some of those guys are the fastest on the trail. I was one of the slowest I came across and I'm 27. I started out at 1.5 miles per hour and never got above 2.5 on my best day.

Images

Leasa I am also planning to thru hike but more like march 15 and during the week. I would also like meet up with some people to hikw with but i was thinking of more like 8 to 10 people. I am in Virginia. You can put me on your list of possibles.

Jack

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leisa816 View Post
    Hey there! Finally looking to do my DREAM! I am a slower hiker and somewhat newbie. I have backpacked Mt. Rainier several times but that was a while back (10 years ago!). I am looking for male or female hikers to go sometime around March 1, 2013 Northbound from Springer. I am from Charleston, SC.

If you're also slow, then let's go !!

Catcat
    Hey
    I am restarting at Winding Stair mid April, so if your real slow until then we'll see each other then. I will be 51 in April a year older than your looking. Hike On!!!

Miller

Images

uh oh, Bamboo Bob, Kayak Karl, and I all think alike... it was funny though (by the way, like folks said, there will be plenty of hikers that age out and about that weekend)

Images

Yo will be truly amazed there may be 100 hikers starting that week end, but you can still feel alone on the trail, I met folks that spent over a week to get to Walysili Y (sp) They will group up at the shelters and disappear the next day. You will fall into a group that is your speed right away. After 3 days you will feel like old friends and you will always remember that first group the best. That group may make it all the way it sure happens more than you think. GO slow, have fun, you have forever it is the journey that will be the best not the end.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1234 View Post
    Yo will be truly amazed there may be 100 hikers starting that week end, but you can still feel alone on the trail, I met folks that spent over a week to get to Walysili Y (sp) They will group up at the shelters and disappear the next day. You will fall into a group that is your speed right away. After 3 days you will feel like old friends and you will always remember that first group the best. That group may make it all the way it sure happens more than you think. GO slow, have fun, you have forever it is the journey that will be the best not the end.
    I love this post. It says it all.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    glad im not the only one that read that LOL
    hahahahaha
    Seriusly though March 1 is three weeks too early for me
    Ideally I want to start on one equinox and end on the other equinox

Journal Entries

over 50 hikers on March 1? i bet there will be 100in that agwe bracket starting on or around that day. you are all set. youll need to get to shelters early to get space, that will be your problem
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

So glad to see that there will be lots of hikers in our age group (I'm 56), and I can't wait to meet you all. Alas, I'll be starting more like April 1st, though I might be able to swing late March, all depends on when I can say Bye-Bye here at work.

I'm planning on starting the trail late feb/mid march and cant find anybody that wants to do it or can take off work long enough. I'm from Thomasville, Ga. I just recently moved back home from Destin, Florida to prepare for my next adventure. I understand plenty of people will be on the trail but i prefer to find someone to start the travel with. I am not the most experience hiker but i'm in great shape, ive been preparing myself, and always up for a challenge. Shoot me an email at [email protected] if you are interested or just add me on facebook.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++