WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default At nobo thru hike gear list please rip apart

COLD
    System Gear Weight
    PACK
    Pack Gossamer Gear Kumo 16.65
    Pack Liner Trash Bag Liner 0.75
    SHELTER
    Shelter Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL Modified 20
    Shelter Suspension Whoopie Slings/Tree huggers/toggles 3.9
    Shelter Stakes MSR Mini Groundhog Stakes x2 0.7
    INSULATION
    Isulation Top WM Caribou 35+ 23
    Insulation Bottom Yeti 3 Season Underquilt 12.5
    Foot Insulation Sitlight Pad (from backpack) - - - - - - -
    PERMANENT CLOTHES
    Extra Socks REI SmartWool Socks 3
    Thermal Long Johns Bottoms Merino Wool Long Johns Bottom 7
    Camp Shorts Running Shorts 4
    Camp Shirt Featherweight Silk Shirt Long Sleeve 2.4
    Insulation Montbell EX Lite Down Jacket 7
    Rain/Wind Shell Top Dri Ducks Jacket 5.5
    COLD CLOTHES
    Sleep Socks Lightweight Socks 2
    Gloves Glove Liners 2
    Hat Cheap Skull Cap 1
    Thermal Long Johns Top Merino Wool Top 7
    Rain/Wind Shell Bottom Dynamo Pants 11
    COOKING
    Stove Snow Peak Giga Stove 3.75
    Cook Pot Snow Peak Titanium Cup 4.7
    Bowl Plastic Tupperware Bowl 1.5
    Utensil Sea to Summit Ultralight Spoon 0.3
    Towel Bandana 0.6
    WATER TREATMENT
    Water Filter Katadyn Mini Walter Filter 8
    Water Bladder Platypus Hoser 2L 3.5
    Water Bottle Platypus 1L Bottle 0.8
    SURVIVAL
    Navigation Compass 0.5
    Light Petzl Tikka Head Lamp 2.9
    Fire Starter Mini Bic Lighter 0.8
    First Aid First Aid (Ziploc) 1.5
    Toothbrush Portable Toothbrush 1.5
    Toilet Paper Toilet Paper without Roll 2
    Soap Dr Bronners in 2 oz container 2
    Rope 40 Feet of Rope 3
    ELECTRONICS
    Phone/Music iPhone 4.8
    Cash/Credit Card Cash/Credit Card 0.2
    Charger iPhone Charger 1.5
    CONSUMABLES
    Food 2 lbs/day @ 3 days (little extra) 100
    Water 1.5 Liters (filered water) 52.8
    Fuel Isobutane Canister 11
    HIKING CLOTHES
    Boots Merrel Moab Ventillators ?
    Braces Asics Ankle Braces ?
    Socks Smart Wool Socks 3
    Underwear Compression Shorts 3
    Shorts Kuhl Krux Shorts 13
    Shirt Featherweight Silk Shirt Long Sleeve 2.9
    Bandana Bandana 0.6
    Hat Straw Hat ?
    ITEMS CARRIED
    Knife Swiss Army Knife 3.2
    Guide/Maps Maps and Thru Hiker Companion 8
    Trek poles REI Traverse Powerlock 19

So this is what i plan to bring with me on my thru hike leaving sometime in March 2014. Am i ambitious or can i leave something behind? What am I missing that is essential if anything? Some of these weights are estimated and I am in the process of getting the exact numbers.
    nobo

About Me:
    Sleep and hike hot
    big athletic type with huge appetite
    have done multi week hikes before and would call myself semi experienced but nothing compared to a thru hike
    this list would be my cold weather gear for the beginning of the hike i would lose some stuff as it got hotter.

OTHER QUESTIONS
    In the beginning of the hike am I able to sleep under a tarp and not get eaten alive by bugs? I know what its like when it warms up bc ive done nj to NH on the trail already.

How did people get fuel for canister stoves when they ran out?

Images

I don't see a tarp listed for your hammock under the Shelter section.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder940 View Post
    I don't see a tarp listed for your hammock under the Shelter section.

crap you're right I have a MacCat Standard with a continuos ridgeline it is 13 oz and the ridgeline is 1 oz

GA-ME 2011
    Images

What method of cooking are you using?
    If you're using the freezer bag method you won't need a bowl.
    If you're cooking in you cup (by the way what size cup?) and eating out of the bowl you'll need a way to wash it (scrub pad, soap)
    I recommend freezer bag cooking.

The AT Guide lists places that sell canisters. Also search the forums here, there's been lots of discussion on where to purchase them.
    You can ship one by mail but you have to declare it and ship it surface only.
    I managed to never run out of fuel but sometimes had to carry an extra one.

Maps: I only carried the AT Guide, and even then only parts of it. I sent parts home as I completed the trail and had other sections sent to me.
    The only map you might want to have is one for the Whites, and I didn't even need that. Others will disagree but very few thru-hikers that I met had maps.

Over all a very well though out list.
    At some point you'll send you cold weather gear home and use warm weather gear. Do you have a list for that?

One nit pick, I would swap your 3.2 oz knife for a small Swiss Classic and save 2 oz.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I dislike using bladders on the trail, its hard to know how much water you have left without opening your pack. I would suggest losing the bladder and just using two 32oz gatorade bottles.

You're only carrying two stakes for your hammock & tarp? Are you planning on making your own when you set up camp? Also what do use use to store your food in for bear bagging?

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    You're only carrying two stakes for your hammock & tarp? Are you planning on making your own when you set up camp? Also what do use use to store your food in for bear bagging?
    i forgot to put the maccat tarp and stakes stuff down. i have them. also i have a stuff sack that i've been using as a bear bag for a few years now.

The trash bag liner will be trashed in a week...you could try a contractors bag that has a thicker wall.

I don't see a short sleeve shirt on the list. You'll definitely want to free your forearms at times, even if you don't have any issues with the extra warmth from the long sleeves.

Driducks won't hold up. I started out with 'em and they lasted about a month. Ended up with Marmot Essence wind shell.

I highly recommend lightweight wool tee shirts to control odor. The brown tee I wore was white with salt but never smelled, my cap on the other hand you could smell up wind, wish I could find a lightweight wool cap.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Driducks won't hold up. I started out with 'em and they lasted about a month. Ended up with Marmot Essence wind shell.
    I used a 9.6 oz poncho that covered my pack as well.

Images

For what it's worth we carry the full range of cooking fuels, if you need an emergency fuel drop-off and I'm going to one of three pick-up points; Wayah Gap, Burningtown Gap or Telico Gap (North Carolina) call a head of time 828 321 2340 and I shall bring some fuel with me. Aquone Hostel www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    The trash bag liner will be trashed in a week...you could try a contractors bag that has a thicker wall.
    Agreed. A 5 pack of Hefty trash compactor bags will last your entire thru hike. Prolly have a couple left over. Throw the extras in your bounce box.

40 ft. of rope"? Don't need "rope" or paracord. It's overkill. 2mm braided cord works fine. Get 10-15 ft. extra to use as a clothes drying line.

I'm not a fan of water filters. Most thru's use AquaMira. Explore the Sawyer Squeeze option. You may like it.

Maps? You may like them up in New Hampshire and Maine. Don't really need them though.
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-16-2012 at 10:47.

You have a solid list and have clearly done your research, great job! Just remember that in the beginning, its ok to over pack, because sometimes you just never know if it will be something that you'll use or not. If your doing a NoBo, there is a 30 mile section that you can test everything out and at the end of that, there is a great outfitter, where you can buy or send things home. So don't sweat it too much if you packed too much or too little. That said, here's a couple things that may help:

-Definitely use the bladder, but only at night. I used 32oz vitamin water bottles for day use.

-Don't bother with the compass

-I would lose the filter and cary aqua mira

-I would bring 2-3 bandana's. they have so many uses

-instead of the swiss army knife, carry more of a multi-tool, that is lighter and more function able. The keychain/mini multi-tools work great and often have what you'll need

- Look into this for kitchen utensils, I loved having the spat/knife-spork option, the spat made for easy cleaning: http://www.rei.com/product/765204/gu...bites-utensils

-I would suggest looking into using an alcohol stove, simply because of how available it is on the trail.

Pretty good list, so far. I started my thru hike with the Warbonnet kit- same hammock, the Yeti and Supafly tarp. It got sent home at Neel's Gap to make room for my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Saved almost a pound and for me it was just more convenient. I like my hammock and Brandon was really helpful when I was getting my stuff together, the tent, for me, was just more practical.

Images

What an excellent start--this will evolve up until you step on the trail---then the changes begin---Good Luck!!!!

Journal Entries

Bring a extra lighter. Get you some darn tough socks and loose the smart wools. Loose the filter and pick up some aqua mira or bleach. The straw hat is not gonna last. Bring a couple extra bandanas they weigh very little and are nice to have. Fuel can be picked up in towns. May want to lose the bladder and just bring another liter. Bugs will not be bad in ga but will be up north. I started with toggels but switches to carabiners and also switched out the straps for some longer webbing.

My experience was just the opposite, bugs in the south, no bugs in the north, nothin' lives in Maine.

Journal Entries

Bugs really haven't been that bad anywhere so far. I started 7-5 in Maine. Never had a problem with them back home in ga. Even when they were around they were tolerable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++