Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    Losing the section from Etoniah to Keystone will make it extremely difficult for thru-hikers. It will create a 40-mile stretch without any campsites. Even if you make it to Keystone it's such a small town there isn't even a motel. The police may give you permission to camp behind the PD but it's not assured. It's not doing away with road walks and is rather adding to it.

If you're in the Palatka area this afternoon/evening there is an open house at Ravine Gardens State Park from 4-7.
    I'm not encouraging anybody to do anything illegal, but, there are a lot of woods on that walkway if you know what I mean.

Ravine Gardens is a cool place, especially in the spring. I'd like to see someone try to stealth camp there. I also challenge someone to stealth camp in the Devil's Millhopper.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Perhaps I should have specified "designated" campsites.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

Just received this email last night:

If your chapter would rather hike along a scenic footpath than a rails-to-trails route, please support keeping the Florida National Scenic Trail route as it is currently. You can do this by sending your comments to the USFS and the Office of Greenways and Trails.

If you are able, please attend the Open House in Palatka on Tuesday from 4pm -7pm.

See the following links for more information at: www.http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/fnst/home
    At risk is the real chance that the USFS will move the route of the FNST from scenic footpath to an open, existing rails-to-trails route.

Deadline for comments is October 5 for OGT and open-ended for USFS.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

As a FTA member and one of the trail maintainer of this section, I really appreciate your outrage! In your comments to USFS, please state if you are a long-distance hiker. At the Open House last night in Palatka (great turnout, btw), it was explained to me by one of the USFS reps that they think this is what thru-hikers want. I am not a long-distance hiker, so I cannot speak for this group. I do know short-distance hikers do not want to hike on pavement dodging bicycles. Your comments are important - please do not be shy. Thank you!

Post Coimment Form

I'm going to the Sanford Open House on Saturday. (My daughter has an All-State audition in Oviedo that morning, so I shouldn't have a problem getting there.) I've created the comment form I want to submit, but I'm open to suggestions for improvement. stelprdb5389347.pdf

Please let me know of any changes before Friday night so I can incorporate any good suggestions.

(If I get good suggestions after Friday, I may also submit the form by email later.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
    I'm going to the Sanford Open House on Saturday. (My daughter has an All-State audition in Oviedo that morning, so I shouldn't have a problem getting there.) I've created the comment form I want to submit, but I'm open to suggestions for improvement. stelprdb5389347.pdf

Please let me know of any changes before Friday night so I can incorporate any good suggestions.

(If I get good suggestions after Friday, I may also submit the form by email later.)
    Thanks for posting this, fcoulter. I think you've done a fine job stating our position. I am making arrangements to get to Sanford myself, hopefully to express my views as well.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I have to thank the nice people at the Sanford event. I wasn't able to stay long, but liked looking at the conceptual plans for trails in general.

I also want to thank the nice people for lending me a stapler so I could hand in my comment sheet without having to deal with multiple pages flying around.

Have no idea if the Powers That Be are at all interested in my input, but I gave it the old college try.

Images

The only place I ever got lost on the FT was coming out of Goldhead. Camp Blanding was sort of a joke with calling the base to tell them your coming through and they have no idea what you are talking about. The big shame on this is removing the start at Loop Road. The swamp tromp IS the FT. The western route had a lot of rail trail walking so I wont miss that. The east is a good choice. I guess a lot of people hate change. If the FT would stop blazing side trails the same as the main trail it would make me happy.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    The only place I ever got lost on the FT was coming out of Goldhead.
    Not sure when you went through but the trail now crosses the road and picks up on the other side. I believe that before you came out on 21 and had to walk towards Keystone for a bit before picking it up.

If the FT would stop blazing side trails the same as the main trail it would make me happy.
    This most likely isn't the FTA that's doing this. I wish I could remember what location was mentioned but someone (FL park system?) has decided to blaze their trails orange. There was some discussion at our recent FTA trails committee meeting about the confusion it's causing. Unfortunately I'm drawing a blank on the details.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org

Images

I was late to the symposium in Sanford, due to not having the correct schedule (I went by the one that was linked in this forum). In any event, the presentations I heard were pretty much about everything except changes to the trail. I did turn in my comments, and plan to file more comments online.
    The Zoomair zipline adventure park and hearing Chuck Norris speak made the trip worthwhile.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    The Zoomair zipline adventure park and hearing Chuck Norris speak made the trip worthwhile.
    I missed Chuck, but as I was leaving the zoo I called my wife and told her "if you or the kids ever have a problem coming up with a birthday idea for me..."

I heard from my Big Cypress contact that they are having an official ceremony January 2nd to make Oasis Center the official southern terminus. True? Does that mean the rest of the proposed single route is a done deal?

aka Kudzu
    Images

True they're having the ceremony for moving the terminus. However, the re-routes aren't a done deal. The OGT comment period goes into early Oct. The USFS comment period is open-ended.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA

It took almost three years to rebuild and open Loop Road to vehicles and now they want to move the terminus? Oh well.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post

I also want to thank the nice people for lending me a stapler so I could hand in my comment sheet without having to deal with multiple pages flying around.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSLh7...=1&safe=active

Trail through Camp Blanding has three great swimming spots.

Where's my stapler?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++