WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Down or not?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yea but you do not dry clean down bags - ( I hope they are doing something different)
    I would imagine they don't smear chemicals all over it. This particular place is the only one around that i've found that would take my bag. It comes back clean and its' cover still repells water.

Images

Some simple common sense is all it takes to prevent a down bag from getting wet. Store it in a OR bag and place the bag inside a garbage bag at the bottom of your pack. Sleeping in a shelter or tent prevents you from getting wet (at least soaked). It's not rocket science!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

For the AT I used synthetic. For the western trails, down. On the AT, even when it's not raining, it's often humid. In a tent, condensation is a real issue. In the shelters, leaky roofs and fog will get you wet. Waterproof down bags tend to be heavier - and you sweat inside the bag because there is less breathability.

Here's what I'd experienced on my AT thru-hike.

I used a man-made fiber in my jacket (a Patagonia Puffball jacket I'd bought used from a guy at Penn State) and a down sleeping bag (a Feathered Friends 20*F sleeping bag).

The jacket and the sleeping bag were each fantastic.

The jacket I'd worn underneath my raingear and so it was wet much of the time in Georgia and in Maine. It still was warm as all get out and I have it today. Such a well built jacket.

The sleeping bag -- I would and have used down as the sleeping bag insulation beginning with my AT thru-hike and up to today. Reason: I can protect the sleeping bag but not the jacket from moisture.

The key takeaway is the jacket on an AT thru-hike is going to get wet. If you're using a man=made fiber in the jacket the insulation is likely to keep you warm.

Datto

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Some simple common sense is all it takes to prevent a down bag from getting wet. Store it in a OR bag and place the bag inside a garbage bag at the bottom of your pack. Sleeping in a shelter or tent prevents you from getting wet (at least soaked). It's not rocket science!
    I've gone to sleep in a shelter not expecting rain and I've awakened to a torential rain blowing sideways into the shelter. The bottom half of my bag was soaked. It might not be rocket science...maybe meteorology??!

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    I've gone to sleep in a shelter not expecting rain and I've awakened to a torential rain blowing sideways into the shelter. The bottom half of my bag was soaked. It might not be rocket science...maybe meteorology??!
    I've had that problem also. Set my tent up in the back of a deep shelter on the Pinhoti to let it dry out from the night before while I slept outside the tent. The tent woke me up banging against the shelter walls, it was floating around in the air. Grabbed my pad and bag to get into tent to hold it down so it didn't blow away. Before I could close the fly the tent was full of water from a driving horizonal rain. There were tornado warnings when I went out, maybe this should have been posted in the "dumbest things" thread.

Most of the new down bags are treated to repel water. A salesman poured a cup of water on a bag where there were seams and let it set for the entire time I was in the store...didn't get wet...not waterproof tho.

Images

I used a Golite 800 down quilt/bag, with pertex foot base, the bag never got wet inside a sea-to-summit stuff sack. Good idea; get rid of the straps and attach a silk liner, the liner like the straps will stop the quilt from slipping off the body creating cold spots, in winter use the bag and in summer flip it over and get into the silk liner, all will fit inside a 1 gallon ziplock bag. Enjoy your hike: http://www.backcountry.com/golite-ul...20-degree-down

Journal Entries

Someone should tell the ducks and geese to stay out of the water! Their down might get wet and then they will freeze.

You can buy a sleeping bag that uses DriDown feathers. I just bought one by Sierra Designs. Also Big Agnes just made one too which is an REI exclusive. Go check out the feathers for yourself, you might like what you see. Oh and Sierra Designs also makes 2 different down jackets with the same. DriDown feathers which are at REI as well.

Decades of experience demonstrates that is entirely possible to keep a down bag dry, or at worst slightly damp, in the most hideous conditions. Site selection, an eye for weather, and a good stuff sack help a lot.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Living in the northeast, I bought a synthetic bag for my first sleeping bag. After ten years when I realized my bag had never gotten wet, I switched to down. I've been very happy with down. Not only is it more comfortable, it's good for a much wider range of temperatures and has proven itself to be much more durable.

I do use a single-wall tent that can be prone to condensation in some circumstances. So, I have a down bag with a Pertex shell. The water resistance of the shell is just enough to keep moisture out of the down and yet it breathes well enough that I don't feel like I'm sleeping in a sauna.

I also have allergies but high quality down bags (800+ fill power) have so few feathers, they don't bother me. I figured that out after sleeping in shelters next to people with good down bags.

For clothing, I use a synthetic filled jacket. I'm one of those people that gets cold easily but then starts sweating just by looking at the next hill. I knew I would likely sweat into my jacket so I've been happy with my choice here, as well.

Someone mentioned a compression sack earlier in this thread. If you decide to go with down, you may want to leave the compression sack at home. As a matter of fact, using a stuff sack that's somewhat bigger than you might assume may provide long-term benefits. The less down is compressed, the longer it will last.

For those days when I have extra gear and/or food, I just push down on the stuffed sleeping bag sack and it compresses more making room for my extra stuff. But on those days when I'm almost out of food and/or it's summer and the rest of my gear doesn't fill my backpack, having the slightly larger stuff sack allows me to pack my sleeping bag without overly compressing it.

YMMV.
    Visit my Travels and Trails site: http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor

I did my thru with a synthetic (North Face Cat's Meow) , but have switched to down. Synthetics can be found a reasonable weights and are generally a good bit cheaper. Down requires a bit more care, and a bit more money. However the weight savings and when needed the ability to pack it down smaller are pretty sweet.
    I did my thru with a still carry a 60G Primaloft jacket that I have been quite happy with. That and a polypro layer have kept me safe and cozy below freezing. I know plenty of people who carry down vest or jackets, and layer rain gear over. So as always HYOH YMMV.

Another vote for down. Mine never once got wet. Used a trash compactor bag and stuffed it in. Say no to compression sacks-waste of money and pack space.

I used down for my sleeping bag and jacket during my thru hike. Just be careful and when in town, let them air out on your bed / bunk. For me, down is the way to go!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Most of the new down bags are treated to repel water. A salesman poured a cup of water on a bag where there were seams and let it set for the entire time I was in the store...didn't get wet...not waterproof tho.
    The outside material is treated with a hydrostatic coatings to repel or bead up the water, I used to sell high end raincoats with it.
    The new stuff is on the inside...

A Flood of Water-Repellent Down for Sleeping Bags

by Alicia MacLeay
    July 24, 2012

Down that keeps you warm, even when wet? Outdoor enthusiasts and manufacturers took note when Brooks-Range and Sierra Designs launched water-repellent down at last January's Outdoor Retailer trade show.
    Now a flood of water-repellent insulation hits the outdoor market this fall and early next year, with DownTek, DriDown, and Q.Shield Down. All promise to repel water while maintaining down's high loft, insulation, and breathability, even when wet, thanks to nano polymer finishes applied to down plumes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Someone should tell the ducks and geese to stay out of the water! Their down might get wet and then they will freeze.
    Ducks preen the oil from their anal sacks and move the oil to other feathers - increasing their "water resistance"
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is a good example.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

dont be scared of down
    buy HIGH QUALITY down items with water repellent shells
    be careful with it, understand what causes condensation within the insulation, defend against those things
    (dont breathe in it, put other insulation OVER it if needed, maintain ventillation, dont use under open sky, etc, use moisture barrier between body and bag if needed in cold humid conditions

throw it in a dryer every now and then on low and fluff it up
    it will serve you very well for many yrs

Images

My Take:

Down for Sleeping bags - no reason for a sleeping bag to get so wet that it is seriously compromised, unless you are totally incompetent and inattentive.

Clothing:

Some down in winter/really cold for camp use, not for hiking.

Some synthetic (I like Primaloft) for hiking and as a back-up for the down in case I have a temporary case of incompetence or total inattentiveness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doritotex View Post
    Sleep with your head to the opening, your face will be the first to get wet and wake you up so you can take appropriate measures. Also, it is less stinky, and easier to see what is making all that noise outside.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++