WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I was attacked by a hawk outside of Caratunk. It dive-bombed me several times as I ran away swearing..
    Dive Bomber
    SOBO Section Hiker

Got my name after several hilarious and clumsy failed attempts at water crossings. My hiking partner said that he had never seen anyone move quite like that! So, although my name sounds like I have dexterity, the truth is I have none. This name is waaaayy better than what they originally wanted to call me, which was Gear ****. They thought was appropriate because I have ALOT of backpacking gear.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Later in the same summer that I did a New Mexico llama trek with my wife, I was on the backpacking staff at the White Mountains High Adventure Base (BSA). The gang there nicknamed me Llama Legs once they saw my skinny, hairy legs hiking in running shorts. I only consider it half mocking, as llama are very capable hikers!

Default Screen name

Students of geology learn that mountain-building episodes in the geologic record are referred to as orogenies. To distinguish one orogeny from another, they're given names which correspond to geographical areas where the characteristics of the orogeny are well-displayed. In NY-New England, the Taconic Range is the place name for the Taconic Orogeny. In the central and southern appalachians, the Alleghany Mountains are the parallel ridges on the western side of the Shenandoah Valley. The Alleghany ridges are mostly hard sandstone of Silurian age, folded up like a loaf of sandwich bread, and faulted extensively into several large imbricate "sheets", so that the stratigraphic sequence is repeated several times as one travels in a east-west fashion. The compressive forces which folded and thrust-faulted the Appalachian Basin sedimentary rocks into the shape they are in today was the collision of the African continent and the North American continent, good old plate tectonics in action. In essence, the Alleghanian Orogeny was the mountain-building event which, after modification by erosion, gave the central and southern Appalachians their shape. The AT follows the Silurian sandstones on the segment between Marion, VA and Roanoke, VA, and gets back on them with a vengeance in northeastern PA, the notorious rocky portion of the trail.

My screen name thus observes and speaks to the very formation of the mountains the AT traverses.

AO

Quote Originally Posted by Llama Legs View Post
    Later in the same summer that I did a New Mexico llama trek with my wife, I was on the backpacking staff at the White Mountains High Adventure Base (BSA). The gang there nicknamed me Llama Legs once they saw my skinny, hairy legs hiking in running shorts. I only consider it half mocking, as llama are very capable hikers!
    LOL... that is very funny but I'm sure those legs are VERY capable!

I'm loving this thread... I wish everyone would comment on here... so interesting!

Alleghanian Orogeny... I love ur name but I understand why I wasn't a good student of geology. AWESOME!!!

I bicycled cross-country solo on the TransAmerica Trail the year before my thru......

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ibikefar
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-21-2012 at 06:13.

ive had the name hairbear since i was in the seventh grade,ever since we were all playing basketball at a friends house,and went inside to cool off .my friend turned on the tv(thats all you had to do then as we seldom had more than 1 channel),and the cartoon the hair bear bunch came on.we were watching and out comes this bear with a tie dyed head band,and this giant afro,of couse they all looked at me with the snot rolling laughter that kids love so much.ive been hair bear ever since,still have the fro cant help it,even in my half grey stage in life its still flyin.ive alway told people that its my wild spirt venting out the top,not many have doubted it lol.

I backpack with a violin....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I was born... 1961. My parents named me "Brad." Since they called me that all the time, it stuck. Weird.

Images

a little off topic but for a few years I've seen posts in shelter registers by LAZER LEGS. He signs his name with sort of a lightening bolt style signature which has always led me to believe that he was a very fast and nimble
    hiker. Lazer Legs is actually thru-hiking this year for the first time. I met him at Lake of the Clouds Hut in July. It's funny because though he is certainly getting the trail done, he is a skinny dude about 60 years old and I
    don't think many would regard him as fast. He's a funny little man though - I was happy to meet him (finally) but I did think his trail name was akin to a mouse calling himself a monster - funny. Once upon a time there was
    a thru-hiker named Sheba Queen of the Jungle - all the thru hiking pink blazers wanted to catch up - - Sheba turned out to be a dude.

I love this... I always wondered about Spokes.. makes sense. I guessed right on ChinMusic.. my hubby plays the violin 2. I heard part of the Hairbear's name story- great to hear the whole thing... LOL!! Good one, Brad.. Creek dancer... Dive Bomber is good... *yikes* Wack a mole... that makes sense as well... I always snickered when I saw your name. Papa D... I was always curious about your name 2... I can't remember all the ones from the 1st page but I've found them all interesting... this isn't my thread but I'm loving it. Thanks to the OP for starting this one... GREAT THREAD!! If I could put likes or "thumbs up" on everyone's comments I would... Papa D's last post is funny 2.

User name is Rasty. No trail name. Some Ding-Dong's here abbreviated my original user name. I like it.

It's better to be Rasty then Nasty!

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

When I did my thru, there was a female hiker with the name Atomic Chili. She was given the name after having eaten a can of chili and the end result was a case of Montezuma Revenge for 4 days.

Serial Hiker
    Images

My screen name, perrito, is Spanish for "little dog" which I've used since 9/11 in honor of the forum members of the "Little White Dog" website who showed so much concern for me during that difficult time.
    http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-16.html
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    User name is Rasty. No trail name. Some Ding-Dong's here abbreviated my original user name. I like it.

It's better to be Rasty then Nasty!
    Aww... Rasty... we could never call u Nasty. I like your abbreviated name as well. It's easier to type for one thing

Different Socks... I thought your name was your socks you wore- different. Atomic chilli sounds "dangerous"... poor girl!! LOL

Perrito is spanish for "little dog".... humm.. I learned something new! I'm having too much fun with this thread... I wonder where simple mind is?....

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I love this... I guessed right on ChinMusic.. my hubby plays the violin 2.
    blue font........
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

My trail name is -SEEKER-, because that is the reason I started section hiking the AT. I was looking for something that was missing in my life.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Been called Chief since 1982, when I was first promoted to Chief Engineer. People who worked for me called me Chief. Higher ups in the company called me Chief. Since about 1996 my friends call me Chief. When I hiked in 2000 other hikers called me, you can guess. Not many people know my real name. Fine by me!

This is great thanks to all replies!

When I retired, I moved aboard a sailboat and spent 5 years drinking my way around the islands getting out of shape and unhealthy. By the time I came ashore, I resembled a shipwreck. Capt. Nat has kinda stuck...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++