WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Sobo hike early June

I'm looking to start the AT in early June 2013. I expect to be traveling high miles. I want to at least start the trail with somebody, not necessarily hike the whole trail. I am an Eagle Scout.

Journal Entries

I'd say June a bad time to start, you'd be better off starting in July or better yet August.
    Reasons:
    1. Black flies. They are vicious . June in Maine is high season for those, they will extract all the joy out of Maine thru Vermont .
    2. Weather . It's gonna be wet. You say you are gonna do big miles, gonna be harder with wet feet. Lots of melt, possible snow cover in spots.

3. Fewer hikers. It seems you are looking for some companionship, and the trail in that area northern new England , is chock full of hikers in July and August as thru hikers arrive from the south and day and weekend warriors are there as wel
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

By the middle of June over 100 southbound hikers will have summited Katahdin and will have headed into the 100 Mile. You won't be alone.
    Blackflies can be bothersome, just use DEET, carry a headnet, and plan to sleep in a tent.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hey im also hiking the at in june 2013. Im hiking solo because i have no one to go with. Im starting at katahdin sometime around june 1.

What's an "Eagle Scout"?

hey im also planning to leave about june first heading south, if anyone would wanna meet up or is looking for someone to hike with let me know, i live in Massachusetts so my leave time isnt set in stone, if your interested let me know thanks, ken

hey same here, if your lookin for someone to hike with let me know

Quote Originally Posted by poopsy View Post
    What's an "Eagle Scout"?
    Really? Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_S..._of_America%29

I'd say the percentage of Eagle Scouts is way higher on trail than the general public. At Woods Hole Hostel, I played Trivial Pursuit with four other guys for an hour before we realized every one of us was an Eagle!

TripleCrown: I'll be leaving Katahdin about June 17 if that's close to when you're planning. If not I'll catch ya

Journal Entries

Thumbs up Eagle Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by poopsy View Post
    What's an "Eagle Scout"?
    Are there people that dumb & allowed in the woods that don't know what an Eagle Scout is??? About 1% of young men who have spent years in the Boy Scouts of America earn the Eagle Scout Rank. Eagle Scouts have landed on the moon, been to the Artic & South Pole also ; become Presidents of major corporations and of these United States .plus more Admirals and General Officers of our Military. Many have hiked the AT and all would come to your aid in times of trouble. First Eagle Scout was about 1914 and about 2 million young men since.

Quote Originally Posted by CELTIC BUCK View Post
    Are there people that dumb & allowed in the woods that don't know what an Eagle Scout is??? About 1% of young men who have spent years in the Boy Scouts of America earn the Eagle Scout Rank. Eagle Scouts have landed on the moon, been to the Artic & South Pole also ; become Presidents of major corporations and of these United States .plus more Admirals and General Officers of our Military. Many have hiked the AT and all would come to your aid in times of trouble. First Eagle Scout was about 1914.
    A. Buddy the question was asked by a Canadian, thus they might not know much about the BSA and "our military" etc.etc. Much like you might not know about the bad ass boys from Edmonton or hockey, or some other Canadian thing.

B. Way to be a dick about it by the way.
    Last edited by Donde; 03-21-2013 at 01:17.

Leaving June 15th. Driving from PA. Getting picked up by 100 Mile Outfitters in Bangor on the 14th and shuttled to Baxter on the 15th. Anyone that wants to ride share, start together, etc let me know.

I'm planning to start my sobo journey June 1st! I will definitely be glad to see other hikers..

++ New Posts ++