WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Brother,

Similar curcumstances here: I am an infantryman here in eastern NC (though a Marine at LeJeune). Have been hiking/backpacking for years but just took my wife on her first backpacking trip two months ago. I had considered the Neusiok Trail in the Croatan for an easy introduction, but I just didn't think it would be satisfying without mountains.

We went to the Shining Rock Wilderness out towards Asheville/Brevard. I have been there many times. We had a great time! She only carried about about 15-20lbs, we kept it low miles (like 5 per day). I did all the camp chores (set up tent, cooked dinner, hang food, fetch water, etc). Also tried to suprise her with some snack she would like, hot cocoa in the evening, etc. End result she was eased into it, had a great time and now has an interest. She wants to challenge herself and "carry her own weight" next time. I have either solo'ed or have taken my son in the past, but the expereince of going with my wife (and best friend) was fantastic.

Try Shining Rock/ Art Loeb Trail. Lots of routes/loops you can choose with great views and as challenging as you want to make it. It will a great way to decompress after returning home and is the best medicine you can have.

Be safe brother
    Semper Fi
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?!

Images

You should take her to Carver Gap (near Roan Mountain, Tn and Elk Park NC)........just hike 3.2 miles out and sleep on top of Grassy Ridge.....the views should hook her for god and you get a nice sunset.......next day, follow the AT to Little Hump of just beyond to Bradley Gap to sleep with another gerat sunset view.........next day hike down to 19E adn have Terry at Mountain Home B&B get you to your car....or leave your car with him and have him take you to Carver Gap. There is a great post hike pizza place in Roan ountain, but I can not remember the name.

Images

Art Loeb and Shining Rock wilderness is also one of those moderate work/big pay off hiking areas like Roan so that other recomendation is nice also....that trail will probably have more hiker traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsbestfan:1339176
    You should take her to Carver Gap (near Roan Mountain, Tn and Elk Park NC)........just hike 3.2 miles out and sleep on top of Grassy Ridge.....the views should hook her for god and you get a nice sunset.......next day, follow the AT to Little Hump of just beyond to Bradley Gap to sleep with another gerat sunset view.........next day hike down to 19E adn have Terry at Mountain Home B&B get you to your car....or leave your car with him and have him take you to Carver Gap. There is a great post hike pizza place in Roan ountain, but I can not remember the name.
    That where I'm going next week. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    That where I'm going next week. Can't wait.
    I hope you have good weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    My wife recently started hiking some with me. We start walking and she starts talking. At 2 miles per hour she talks about 1700 words per minute. At my age, you just get numb to it.
    That's what the Bluetooth wearing Chihuahua is for -- by the time you meet up with them at the shelter, even the Boy Scouts have cleared out. Heck, you could probably sleep with your salmon cakes too, no problem.

Datto

Love hiking in WNC! Appalachian State grad here...

Try the Little Lost Cove loop that you can enter between Banner Elk and Newland. It is just about 5 miles and has a total elevation delta of under 1000 feet. Beautful waterfall, a couple good spots for camp spots... It is a very worthwhile hike.
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/40828

Another idea would be to catch a section of the Mountains to Sea trail. The section from Price Park to Moses Cone park (both on the Blue Ridge Parkway) is 13.8 miles.

Have fun; ignore the naysayers. Watching your girl to learn enjoy hiking and camping with you can be a very rewarding experience as well as a great relationship builder.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLion View Post
    Bad ideas never do backpacking as a couple it will end up in separation because
    backpacking will bring so much of conflicts between you and your partner.
    With all due respect, any activity that brings people close together in out of the ordinary circumstances can create conflict. It can also make a relationship stronger.
    Such a sweeping statement is to use your local vernacular "bollocks".
    I would stress to the OP to consider my extra 32 years on the planet gives me more "cred" on this issue.

Images

Originally Posted by WhiteLion

QUOTE=OzJacko;1339395]With all due respect, any activity that brings people close together in out of the ordinary circumstances can create conflict. It can also make a relationship stronger.
    I would stress to the OP to consider my extra 32 years on the planet gives me more "cred" on this issue.[/QUOTE]

Well said OzJacko. I have an extra 32 years of experience on the planet as well, and I have a lot of backpacking experience with my wife of 36 years that absolutely contradicts the statement by Whitelion. No offense intended Whitelion but you just haven't found the right lady yet.

James,

My first backpacking experience was a pretty tough experience. I learned a lot what NOT to do. If you'd like a woman's viewpoint:
    1. Make sure the weather is going to be nice (or at least, not raining). If questionable, pass it up for a better weekend. Nothing kills the fun factor like hiking in the rain for 3 or 4 days straight.
    2. If you're renting equipment, make sure her pack fits! Ditto for boots, if new.
    3. Share the map & guidebook with her. It's awful, going on for hours not having any idea of how far you've come, where you are, or how far to go (our friends who invited us on our first trip hiked faster than we did, and kept the map).
    4. Stop for the day before either of you get tired. Your trip isn't about the miles, anyway.
    5. Sneak in a special treat (gourmet chocolate bar, airplane bottles of liquor, whatever) to share just before retiring for the evening.
    6. Ibuprofen!

Good luck and have fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    Originally Posted by WhiteLion

QUOTE=OzJacko;1339395]With all due respect, any activity that brings people close together in out of the ordinary circumstances can create conflict. It can also make a relationship stronger.
    I would stress to the OP to consider my extra 32 years on the planet gives me more "cred" on this issue.
    Well said OzJacko. I have an extra 32 years of experience on the planet as well, and I have a lot of backpacking experience with my wife of 36 years that absolutely contradicts the statement by Whitelion. No offense intended Whitelion but you just haven't found the right lady yet.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. My X went with me to make me happy, I take 'Overload' along to make her happy, and I love having her along.
    Last edited by coach lou; 09-19-2012 at 08:06.

Images

Head up to Grayson Highlands State Park in southwest Virginia, about a 4 hour drive from the Triangle area. Park in the backpacker parking lot, and hike the AT up Wilburn Ridge toward Rhododendron Gap. Once you get to the gap, hang a left to continue on the AT toward Thomas Knob Shelter, and start looking for a campsite. There are about a zillion of them in the first half mile, many with great views. If you leave early on a Saturday morning, you can make a great overnight hike out of this -- with plenty of time to climb the ~2-3 miles up and find/set up camp. There is water nearby, at the shelter and in a spring just below the campsites. There is a privy at the shelter, about a half mile from the campsites.

The trail is out in the open, with thousand-mile views and wild horses -- in short, it's just about the perfect place to help someone fall in love with hiking and backpacking.

It gets chilly up there pretty quickly - lows tonight are going to be in the mid 40s. So make sure she has a good sleeping bag and some warm clothing. Think about having a small campfire, and bringing hot chocolate, red wine, nice meals, that sort of thing.

Good luck and have fun.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    James,

My first backpacking experience was a pretty tough experience. I learned a lot what NOT to do. If you'd like a woman's viewpoint:
    1. Make sure the weather is going to be nice (or at least, not raining). If questionable, pass it up for a better weekend. Nothing kills the fun factor like hiking in the rain for 3 or 4 days straight.
    2. If you're renting equipment, make sure her pack fits! Ditto for boots, if new.
    3. Share the map & guidebook with her. It's awful, going on for hours not having any idea of how far you've come, where you are, or how far to go (our friends who invited us on our first trip hiked faster than we did, and kept the map).
    4. Stop for the day before either of you get tired. Your trip isn't about the miles, anyway.
    5. Sneak in a special treat (gourmet chocolate bar, airplane bottles of liquor, whatever) to share just before retiring for the evening.
    6. Ibuprofen!

Good luck and have fun.
    Great advice Trainwreck. Since you and HikermomKD are ladies that backpack I guess that makes y'all the real experts on this topic.

Images

Oh, I agree. My X went with me to make me happy, I take 'Overload' along to make her happy, and I love having her along.[/QUOTE]

You are right Couch Lou. It's all about choosing the "right" partner.

Ok... if we are talking 32 years here...I'll throw in my, being happily married for 32 years, advice. WhiteLion... you are on to something when you bring up conflicts, you got that right! Conflicts happen. Try to find someone that you have the least amount of conflicts with. Learning to resolve conflicts is the key. Fight fair and learn to fight well- meaning you are both OK after it's all over. Conflicts will pop up until you take your last breath.

Whether it's backpacking together or anything you try to enjoy together- good communication is tha bomb!! I think it's important when my husband/myself send the message, that it's not all about ME. That's a WIN-WIN right there!!

I just watch another vid, where the hiking couple ended their epic journey with the guy getting down on one knee... IDK...sometimes it ends well!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLion View Post
    spammer alert.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    4. Motivate your partner - hiking makes your butt smaller, tones your entire body - it is an all day activity that makes you look better without the stress of gerbil treadmills in health clubs.
    Exercise extreme caution if you choose to motivate your partner by making a loaded statement like this!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Exercise extreme caution if you choose to motivate your partner by making a loaded statement like this!
    "Honey, how does my butt look in these white pants?" We need a suicidal smiley

Default I'm not following your links......

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    Love hiking in WNC! Appalachian State grad here...

Try the Little Lost Cove loop that you can enter between Banner Elk and Newland. It is just about 5 miles and has a total elevation delta of under 1000 feet. Beautful waterfall, a couple good spots for camp spots... It is a very worthwhile hike.

Another idea would be to catch a section of the Mountains to Sea trail. The section from Price Park to Moses Cone park (both on the Blue Ridge Parkway) is 13.8 miles.

Have fun; ignore the naysayers. Watching your girl to learn enjoy hiking and camping with you can be a very rewarding experience as well as a great relationship builder.
    Ground Control,

Another ASU grad here--ASU Geology 1978 (hence the screen name, which refers to the mountain-building episode which created the primary folding and faulting which gave the Southern Appalachians their core shapes which, as modified by erosion, we so enjoy today).

I like the Little Lost Cove Loop and the digital map depicts it just like my 35 year old hardcopy USGS sheets do. My confusion is your having listed "entering between Banner Elk and Newland". Both Banner Elk and Newland, and the one very curvy road between them, are on the opposite side of Grandfather Mountain and the BRP from Little Lost Cove, aren't they?

The link following your mention of the MST between Price and Cone parks is a repeat of the Little Lost Cove Loop. Did you intend to include another digital map link? More importantly, is camping allowed in either Price or Cone, or both? I didn't think camping was allowed anywhere within the Blue Ridge Parkway unit of the National Park Service, of which both Price and Cone are subsidiary units, but wholly under NPS jurisdiction, unlike Little Lost Cove, Wilson Creek, and pretty much the whole of the downslope area below the BRP, which fall within the US Dept of Agriculture National Forest System.

If camping is allowed in Price or Cone, I'd love to know about it!

AO

5 days for a first time out is going to have her hating it. On my wife's first backpacking trip I took her to 10,000 ft wanting to show her the beautiful views. All she did was hate me for it. I almost killed her on her first trip, and she reminds me of it. Make the trip about her, and her fitness level. The Uwharrie trail and Dutchman Creek Trail, are pretty close to home, and the woods are very pretty there. Just don't go in November. It is a public hunting area, and the woods are full of hunters. I hunt myself, and don't mind hunters, but with it being a public place, it packs them in, and some of them aren't as experienced as they could be. Have done the southern parts numerous times, and the wife and I day hiked the northern part last Oct during the leaf season and it was very pretty.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++