WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for thoughts on TT Moment

Hi. I've been thinking about purchasing a Tartptent Moment, and would be interested in hearing some experiences from those who have used the shelter -- particularly those who have used it on the AT. Basically I'm wondering how it has fared for those who have used it in more humid, rainy environments. I live in CA, but am looking for a trekking pole-less lightweight shelter that can serve me for 3.5 season use. That means it must be decent in cold coastal winter rain, spring fall potentially rainy/snowy Sierras, and dry summer-time Sierras. Its a goal to try snow camping this year also. The Moment is a good choice I think, but I keep feeling worried about condensation and misting in wetter environs (leading me to think more about the Copper Spur UL 1). The fact that TT was compelled to design and release a liner doesn't help my feeling that the Moment might not be the all-around shelter I'm looking for (if only I was rich and could have multiple shelters!). Any thoughts are appreciated and welcomed. Thanks.

Images

I have a Moment, and I use it on the AT. It does have some condensation issues, especially in the shoulder seasons when the temps drop into the 50s at night (say, late summer when there is a lot of humidity.) That doesn't bother me as much as it does some other hikers. I just use a small pack towel to wipe it down, and the fabric dries quickly. I wouldn't want the liner - it would just get in the way and reduce the ample headroom.

Other than that, I don't have any complaints. It sets up very quickly and easily, handles wind and rain well, and has more than enough room inside for me and my gear. I like the vertical mesh door so I can have the vestibule open for views and ventilation even in a medium rain. Haven't tried it in snow, yet, but then I've used a simple flat tarp in the snow pretty happily, so I expect the Moment to be even better. Have not had misting in the Moment, but did have it in a Double Rainbow, so I know how heavy the rain has to be for that to occur. (Answer: really exceptionally heavy driving rain. Have been in severe weather in several different TT products, and had misting exactly once.)

Given the same choices in solo shelters, I'd buy it again. These days I would more likely buy the Notch, since I use trekking poles, but that wasn't available at the time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I pretty much agree w/ everything big cranky said,, however I do have the liner, and feel it gives me that extra protection from condensation and misting. Having a liner doesn't bother me at all. I feel that all tents can have condensation issues in the right conditions, it just depends on how you manage it. Overall I'm very pleased with the Moment. I also own the BA Copper Spur 2, and even though it's a great tent, it's only used in times where a hiking partner is staying in the tent w/ me. For the price, weight, and ease of use,, you can't go wrong w/ the Moment!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

media - I dropped my Tarptent Moment during my 2010 thru because of the condensation. Even sleeping w/the tent open all night (as a test), I still had problems. It was early when I got rid of it so the colder nighttime temps are a big part of the problem. I wen to a Hubba Hubba HP that I already owned. It was a much better tent for me and had a lot more room, of course.

You may want to check out the TT Notch. There are some good videos of all TT products on thier web site.

Thanks for the responses, they're helpful. I still feel a little undecided. I've come close to pulling the trigger on a couple of used Moments but keep holding back. I'll likely try one out though. The Notch looks great and is getting lots of attention right now but I don't use trekking poles and feel its probably strongest with those and not thinner aluminum collapsible poles.

Images

The nice thing about a used Moment is that you can sell it for most or all of the purchase price should you decide not to keep it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Really like the ease of use & weight of my TT Moment. Condensation is an issue w/ all single wall tents, double wall to a lesser degree. Perks make the moisture a non issue.

Good points both, thanks. Time to seize the Moment!

++ New Posts ++