WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First time Thru Hike Northbound. Any advice?

Hello, I'm starting to plan a thru hike of the A.T. I live in California and I do a lot of backpacking so i have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into. I just wanted to know any insider tips, or things to consider. Really any advice at this point would be great. Thanks

start around april 15th and plan to finish around october 1st. don't do mail drops for food. do NOT stay in shelters. tent or hammock instead. have $4000 to $5000 for the hike

Here's two links that are AT specific:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...StepByStep.pdf

This is a 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine that includes a good summary of what to expect in each major section, plus etiquette tips (ignore the pop-up).

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2...inations/12530

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 09-19-2012 at 09:45.

I would start and finish a couple of weeks earlier. There are a couple of spots where a mail drop is nice, Harpers Ferry bein' one. Figure to spend about 1/2 your time on the last third of the trip. I have never heard anyone complain that their pack is too light.

Journal Entries
    Images

Advise? #1, Have enough money. Around $5,000. #2, Have enough time. 6 months. #3, Have a lot of luck on your side.
    I would not do mail drops for resupply. Don't bother with a bounce box. Walk bare foot as much as possiable to toughfen up your feet. Most of all, Hike your own hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    Walk bare foot as much as possiable to toughfen up your feet.
    And if you can't go barefoot then still walk with shoes on. Feet take the longest (for me at least) to toughen up and you feel it with every step. Walk everywhere beforehand: work, grocery store, beer run, friends house. Anywhere you can find the time. Your feet will be happier, you will spend less on gas, you will be healthier. And if you don't have the time to walk, then bike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    start around april 15th and plan to finish around october 1st. don't do mail drops for food. do NOT stay in shelters. tent or hammock instead. have $4000 to $5000 for the hike
    +1 Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

Good advice here. My only exception would be there are several places where having a maildrop will make things easier for you. Those are few and far between though! Enjoy the hike, walk at your own pace, stay out of the social drama of the trail and just get up every day and walk!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Thanks for the advice, Can you clue me in on social drama on the trail. Does that even happen, how? It's not High School, its the woods. Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?

Also, why do I need so much money? I know I'll have to resupply. Food and such, but I don't even spend that much just being at home. I want to be prepared, so that's why I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by randyadams48 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Can you clue me in on social drama on the trail. Does that even happen, how? It's not High School, its the woods. Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?
    Also, why do I need so much money? I know I'll have to resupply. Food and such, but I don't even spend that much just being at home. I want to be prepared, so that's why I ask.
    hikers form cliques early on. just like high school. shelters are small, crowded, dirty, mice ridden boxes. folks snore, fart, come and go at all hours etc., etc.

you'll need a lot of cash for restaurants, hostels, hotels, beer, shuttles, etc.

[QUOTE=randyadams48;1339627 Also someone recommended not staying in the shelters. Why?[/QUOTE]

Do you like sleeping shoulder to shoulder like sardines in a can with smelly strangers?

And then you've got the smokers. The snorers. The farters. The fornicators and masturbaters. The wet dog thats gonna curl up next to your sleeping bag. The guy that shows up at midnite. The guy that sets his f'n alarm for 5 am. The old guy with the enlarged prostate that gets up every hour to take a leak. The mice that run through your hair.

And thats the Readers Digest Version.

You are going to blow money in town. I hiked from Springer to Clingmans Dome in April. I spent $500 in those 3 weeks. You will get into town and be so hungry you don't care that you are paying $25 for pizza and beer. Then add in breakfast and lunch, food on a zero day can run $30-40. You will stay in hotels from time to time unless you like living like a bum. That's another $30-50. A day off can run $100. Take a day off once a week for 6 months and it's $2,500 give or take. It's easy to sit at home and say you won't stay in town. It's a whole different story when you hike 3 days w/o a shower and someone offers a ride to town and you didn't plan on stopping for another 3 days. If I were to hike the whole thing I would make sure my legs and feet are up to the grind. My quads were really sore at times. If you are overweight, lose it. Get a decent backpack. I had a nice one and it never bothered me. Don't be afraid to bring extra clothing until you get into VA when the weather is warmer. I regretted getting rid of some warm clothing once I got to the Smokies. I wouldn't make that mistake again. Make sure you eat something every 2 hours and don't freak about drinking water straight from a stream. I purified my water the first 2 days and said "F it." Never got sick and never worried about getting sick. If I was in doubt, I purified it or didn't use it at all. But if it was fast flowing water, I was fine. What else? If you are going alone, buddy up w/ someone. It helps A LOT. Splitting rooms and rides to town is good. Try to get your feet calloused as much as you can before you start. Blisters are a bitch. You are from out west, so East Coast weather may surprise you. You WILL get wet. Your feet WILL be soaked. Prepare for that.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Be fully aware that Eastern weather is far different from Western weather! It's wetter. The rain is wetter, the snow is wetter, the air is wetter, the ground is wetter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Staying in shelters is something you will have to deside on by yourself. Shelters are a place thru-hikers gather at the end of the day and talk about their hiking experiences. If you don't like sleeping in a shelter than pitch your tent near by.
    You will need money for food resupply, eating a couple of good meals in town and staying in a hostel or motel once in a while. You may need to purchase new equiptment along the way, decide to pay for a shuttle to slack pack. Having money to spend helps to make your thru experience better.
    Grampie-N->2001

I personally thought there was a clique feel to the shelters. I didn't like it. My take was people try to sound and look "bad ass" and tried to impress me. I didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Do you like sleeping shoulder to shoulder like sardines in a can with smelly strangers? And then you've got the smokers. The snorers. The farters. The fornicators and masturbaters.
    And that's just the mice. The people are pretty obnoxious too.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I got some good advice in Georgia from a 2x thru hiker. He said "When you get to Vermont turn right".
    You'll figure it out when you get there!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

While in Franklin, NC send a food drop to Fontana Dam Post Office. The Fontana General Store is crazy expensive.

Oh yeah, MJW155 said $100 per zero day. I think that is pretty much dead on. Everyone I hiked with said the same thing "Every time I go into town, I spend at least $100." For me it was usually more because I have terrible spending habits. It adds up quick...
    Food, beer, food, resupply, food, hostel, food, more beer, food, postage to send things home, food and repeat everytime you are in town.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++