WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default GSMNP dry conditions

I just noticed that Spence Field is being reported as dry. I will be up there next week, any suggestions on other nearby sources?
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Journal Entries

We were there last week, Fontana-Davenport. Even after heavy rains on Sat 8th , the water wasnt flowing really strong anywhere the following week. But we always found water. In general, sources on trail, were mostly wet spots only, except between Mt. Collins and NF gap there was a good spring flowing out of rock. Shelters all had water in some form. Here is what I recall:

Someone said water flowing at Birch Spring camp, we didnt go down there
    Spring on trail on way to Mollies from fontana was just wet spot. Did not hike uphill to see if was useable farther up.
    Spring at mollies was very slow drip from pipe, we dipped from pool seep uphill from it
    Spence field was very a very slow drip. I dipped from pool under pipe that had salamanders in it.
    Derricks knob shelter had water , slow, large wet area downhill with lots of possible pools.
    Place to get water on trail between mtcollins and NF gap. No water at NF gap. Can buy water at Clingmans dome.
    Icewater spring had water, flowing OK. Not fast, but OK.
    Tricorner Knob, had to go downhill from shelter. Spring at shelter was barely dripping . Same water is downhill, its all running from the same seeps acrosss the trail to privy, and downhill. Much more water flow downhill though. Bushwack thru the brush and deadfalls and youll find it.
    Cosby - nothing from pipe. Slowly flowing out the small pool under it, dipped from the pool .

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I just noticed that Spence Field is being reported as dry. I will be up there next week, any suggestions on other nearby sources?
    Clutch thread. We have a group planning on a section hike from Clingman's to Siler's to Spence, then down Eagle Creek to 96 and out (shuttle pickup at 90), in the middle of October. I'm concerned about that stretch from Siler's to Spence. If you would, please respond as to your experience. Thanks!

Any recent updates from this area?? Leaving on Wednesday to cover Newfound Gap to Hot Springs... any info would be appreciated!! Thanks!

++ New Posts ++