WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tested some old bear spray today

My brother is going hunting for elk in WY next week.
    So, he needs some bear spray as the grizzlies have migrated further south again this year I guess.
    So, to save him some money, I got out my old bear spray.
    One said it expired in 2002 (that's the one I bought for the CDT in '98)
    And the other one expired 2 years ago.

So, we took them in my back yard and tested them out.
    Says 30' range on the can but I would say it only went about 20'
    I thought it would be a steady stream at that range but it was more like a cloud of fog.

Almost immedietly afterwards, even though there was practically no wind blowing,
    we both started coughing and my eyes REALLY started burning.
    He was totally satisfied that they both worked fine and is taking them along.

After all the years of carrying them in WY and MT, I finally tested them out.
    I realized it was something I should have done years ago as now I know it's going to work, and at what range and that if the wind is blowing the right way, it would extend or decrease the range consiberably.

I guess they're up to almost $50 each now-a-days.
    He's driving out so, no problems with airplane rules.

If I were going somewhere that I felt I need to take bear spray I believe I would spend the $50 and get a new one. Thats just me
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

No surprise there.... it was the dog spray that has a stream ( like the postal folk used to carry in hand delivery) Bear is a thick cloud.... good thing you thought about the wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP86JbknAXs
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If you have old bear spray, does it only work on old bears? (sorry I couldn't resist)
    Have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    If I were going somewhere that I felt I need to take bear spray I believe I would spend the $50 and get a new one. Thats just me
    Just wondering if you've ever tested yours?
    Because I never did before, but now that I have, I would trust them.
    There was no hesitation, no lack of power, and the air seemed instantly saturated with burning in both the eyes and the throat.
    The only thing I can think of is that a brand new one MIGHT have more range although the one that was 10 years old seemed to have the same range as the newer one.
    Just sayin.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Hi...

Well, now you not only have one beyond its use-by date, but one used one as well.

Hope they aren't needed, but I certainly would feel more comfortable carrying new ones. Ones which are EPA Registered.

Anyway...good luck, and I hope that they aren't needed.

This thread makes me so happy, you just don't know!! (it's the lil things, LOL) I have always wanted to try mine out 2. Mine is not that old but it was 39 bucks when I purchased mine. Interesting to hear how it works!! Yipee.. thanks fiddlehead!! Have a great time!

Why does your brother needs any spray being a hunter? Does he not carry his rifle or shotgun ? I thought a 12ga slug is enough medicine (as well as 30-06) for any bear...

Journal Entries
    Images

they are still about $45 dollars...at 8 oz

http://www.rei.com/product/623173/co...nt-spray-81-oz
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

UDAP bear spray is about 20 bucks cheaper and comes with a holster.
    spray down wind=wouldn't the bear smell or hear you long before an encounter?
    spray upwind= pepper flavored human treat for bear
    spray when no wind= not many times is there no wind, plus the bear will most likely hear you.
    not sure i'll carry bear spray again.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

If you have trouble affording or finding real bear spray, you could consider a good quality yard fogger. They have as much range as bear sprays do, they spray a fog, they are much cheaper and if they work on bears anywhere near as good as they do on humans (don't ask me how I know this) they should make a fine alternative.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OldStormcrow View Post
    If you have trouble affording or finding real bear spray, you could consider a good quality yard fogger. They have as much range as bear sprays do, they spray a fog, they are much cheaper and if they work on bears anywhere near as good as they do on humans (don't ask me how I know this) they should make a fine alternative.
    Ok with due respect and not being sarcastic allow me the opportunity to ask, oldstormcrow ... have you tested this? - last time a grizzly charged at you, you reached for insect spray? I honesty do not think a yard fogger is going to work. Bear containers and bear sprays have been rigorously tested, both at zoos and in the wild, prior to release for public use. This is a litigious nation of people. Your post reminded me of similar posts from people advocating spraying wasp spray to stop an attacker on the internet (myth) Since then additional language & information has been added to every can. It's not personal... so honestly how do you know?

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Just wondering if you've ever tested yours?
    Because I never did before, but now that I have, I would trust them.
    There was no hesitation, no lack of power, and the air seemed instantly saturated with burning in both the eyes and the throat.
    The only thing I can think of is that a brand new one MIGHT have more range although the one that was 10 years old seemed to have the same range as the newer one.
    Just sayin.
    Actually I have never had bear spray. I've done a little hiking in Az several years ago but never been in Grizz country. Maybe thats why I would be skeered
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    My brother is going hunting for elk in WY next week.
    So, he needs some bear spray as the grizzlies have migrated further south again this year I guess.
    So, to save him some money, I got out my old bear spray.
    One said it expired in 2002 (that's the one I bought for the CDT in '98)
    And the other one expired 2 years ago.

So, we took them in my back yard and tested them out.
    Says 30' range on the can but I would say it only went about 20'
    I thought it would be a steady stream at that range but it was more like a cloud of fog.

Almost immedietly afterwards, even though there was practically no wind blowing,
    we both started coughing and my eyes REALLY started burning.
    He was totally satisfied that they both worked fine and is taking them along.

After all the years of carrying them in WY and MT, I finally tested them out.
    I realized it was something I should have done years ago as now I know it's going to work, and at what range and that if the wind is blowing the right way, it would extend or decrease the range consiberably.

I guess they're up to almost $50 each now-a-days.
    He's driving out so, no problems with airplane rules.
    luckily, I was able to test my bear spray last weekend at quantico MCB range. even though I bought the spray in 1990, i found it worked fine. the double ought buck sprayed right out there, no problem. f'ing canned bear spray is for moron tree hugging fools who live to be a griz dinner. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by juma View Post
    luckily, I was able to test my bear spray last weekend at quantico MCB range. even though I bought the spray in 1990, i found it worked fine. the double ought buck sprayed right out there, no problem. f'ing canned bear spray is for moron tree hugging fools who live to be a griz dinner. good luck.
    Interesting that you think that. (that double ought buck spray would stop a charging griz)
    Because my brother, who hunts elk out there every year, was telling me that now the guides (cowboys most of the year, hunting guides in season), told him to bring bear spray as it is effective and proven.
    Shooting a charging griz is, at best, 50% that you are going to hit him, let alone kill him.

But, I tell you, when we tested this spray the other day, I was amazed at how much my eyes immedietly started burning like hell, and we both started coughing right away. And that was with no wind blowing and spraying away from us.
    I have much more faith in this pepper spray now that I've tried it.
    And I've hiked in griz country over 1,000 miles now.

But, if you feel safe with your 30 ought....... go for it.
    But remember, a hunter with the Lewis and Clark expedition shot one 11 times with a 50 caliber and it kept coming.
    Up to you.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I've read that there is inert (no pepper) bear spray available for practicing. If I were going into grizzly country, I'd want to practice for a while first.
    Bear spray, inert, for training purposes:
    https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?...tegory_Code=BS

Images

But, if you feel safe with your 30 ought....... go for it.
    But remember, a hunter with the Lewis and Clark expedition shot one 11 times with a 50 caliber and it kept coming.
    Up to you.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read the same thing. Grizzlies are amazing creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    they are still about $45 dollars...at 8 oz

http://www.rei.com/product/623173/co...nt-spray-81-oz

Hi...

Will the EPA register any bear spray with less then 9.5 oz content?

I bought an old taser at a yard sale...would you like to test it on your brother and see if it still works?

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ok with due respect and not being sarcastic allow me the opportunity to ask, oldstormcrow ... have you tested this? - last time a grizzly charged at you, you reached for insect spray? I honesty do not think a yard fogger is going to work. Bear containers and bear sprays have been rigorously tested, both at zoos and in the wild, prior to release for public use. This is a litigious nation of people. Your post reminded me of similar posts from people advocating spraying wasp spray to stop an attacker on the internet (myth) Since then additional language & information has been added to every can. It's not personal... so honestly how do you know?
    So....."honestly, how do you know?" you ask. I have used a yard fogger on a human before, I know it's range, and I know that it will drop a human in their tracks. Now, considering that a bear's senses are 'way more sensitive than your's and mine, one would assume that the effect on a bear would be even more intense. And no, I have not been chasing griz bears around out west to test my theory. If you want a true "certified card-carrying expert", go ask Bear Grylls, I suppose. I'm just a savvy old dude with some miles and experiences under my belt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++