WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was called a tumpline.
    My memory recalls "trumpline"--- no relation to The Donald.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Tumpline is correct, wiki told me

Images

And having made one and used it back when I was a kid teaching myself camping and woodcraft from old books, it does indeed take a bit of "working up to" to really make use of one. You can carry seriously heavy loads this way, but you need to build up to it.

but unless you are Tipi then you should never have the packweight that would require one.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I carry water in plastic Gatoraide or Poweraide bottles........
    I do this too, and pretty much drink when I get thirsty. Seriously though, in the heat of summer I drink about a cup a mile, a 16oz bottle of Powerade at mid-morning break, one at lunch, one at mid-afternoon break, and one for supper. And, I drink about a 1/2 liter to a liter through the night. And, I pee like a race horse through the night right back into those same Powerade bottles and just dump and rinse in the morning, top them off and head on out.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

"Previous studies have shown that African women carry head-supported loads of up to 60% of their Mb far more economically than army recruits carrying equivalent loads in backpacks. Here we show that Nepalese porters carry heavier loads even more economically than African women."
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/30.../1755.abstract (Mb is body mass).

Do you suppose that 50 years from my grandchildren will be hiking the AT and say "Can you believe my grandfather actually carried a 20 lb load on his back!? What a fool"

Many moons ago i saw those boys climbing up a mountain, down a mountain, round a mountain... well i guess you get the picture, with 3 cases of coke bottles strapped to their heads. Unbelievable. I thought I was pretty tough till i ran into them.
    ET

For the past couple years, I've been using the AARN pack (http://www.aarnusa.com/) and carry my water in the front pockets, along with a few other items. It has helped save my back by allowing me to balance the weight of my pack between my back and front. As for 'cameling up', I'm not sure it's useful as a way to carry extra water. You'll just pee it away and then you'll not have the water you need before your next water resupply.

Journal Entries

I think of it more as water management. The body is most efficient when one is properly hydrated, ideally this is where you want to stay. You also don't want to carry extra weight in your pack or over hydrate to the point of loss of performance plus you are still carrying it and weight is weight and water is one of the heaviest things to carry.

What I do usually involves hydrating at water sources well but not too much. Load up for what I need for the next one and drink early and often. This I feel tends to get the water efficiently into my system over time, less 'rejected' water from peeing and less bloat then cameling + reducing weight the quickest. I also think it requires less volume of water then cameling due to higher absorbtion and therefor less weight carried both in the body and in the pack. This method also required a immediate purification method as you want to drink right away and not carry water waiting for tablets to work.

If I do notice the water is passing through too quickly I might have something salty (even a bit of salt will work) which usually fixes that. Also wetting clothes if hot out can save much water that you would sweat and I sometimes will do this when the water doesn't look all that great to drink as a way to conserve water in the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    weight is weight and water is one of the heaviest things to carry.
    a lb. of water is much heavier than a lb. of food

Doin' it wrong. You should be carrying most of your water in your cells

I carry two .75 L bottles of trail water and also a 2.0 L blatter in which I carry either 0.0 or 1.0 or 2.0 L depending on what I know about upcoming water sources. I try to re-supply mid-day some time with enough water to carry me thru dinner and the night if necessary. I usually hike in areas with sufficient water. Otherwise, I'd have to reassess accordingly. Water is always an important consideration.
    virgil

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Man, you guys/gals that are UL'ers!!! I can't believe you've gone so far into this world that you have discussions about the science of how to carry your water.
    I agree with the ones that say, just fill some bottles and drink as you go.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the dehydrated H2O crystals.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

"Forrest Gump: When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go, you know, I went. "

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Man, you guys/gals that are UL'ers!!! I can't believe you've gone so far into this world that you have discussions about the science of how to carry your water.
    water is heavy. the less you can get away with carrying, the better. I found it hilarious that a NOLS guy on the LT said he was carrying 3-4L of water at a time in nalgene bottles.. when water sources were 1-2L apart.

folks talk about calories/oz too..

you are welcome to carry as much extra crap as you would like to

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    science there's an App on how to hang a hammock. You-tube on how to walk with poles.
    next there will be a tread on about the weight savings and extra miles of having a bowel movement in the morning.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    science there's an App on how to hang a hammock. You-tube on how to walk with poles.
    next there will be a tread on about the weight savings and extra miles of having a bowel movement in the morning.
    Do you have a problem with that? We all have to learn somehow and if not shown in person at least we can learn online. And what app tells me how to hang a Hammock?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post

LMFAO!!!!! Thanks KK, now that was funny!

Images

problem? No, humorous? Yes
    hammock app

hiking the trail is just life......simplified.

KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++