WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have gone as far as Sub UL survival and since added a few pounds for comfort Never got into cuben, but went tarpless and bodybag... it was a mistake.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    Oh I don't remember it was so long ago. I am smart enough to know not to use a hammock quilt on the ground though.
    Oh? Why not? I use a top quilt as my cover, and am fine sleeping directly on my Exped with shorts and T-shirt. 40 degree quilt is only 12.7 oz. Summer of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of "comfortably light," or "comfortably UL." Everyone has their limits. I've been striving to be UL for some time, but I'll not forsake my well-being for it. I've gone back to wearing boots after finding I need ankle support and a secure toe box. I'm debating if it's worth the extra few ounces of a Steripen (vs. repackaged AquaMira), so I can drink immediately after treating water. As they say, "hike your own hike."
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

I agree with RodentWhisperer on comfortable light/UL. You do not have to adopt drinking from a Dannon yoghurt cup and cut salami with a razor blade, but if lighter gear fits your needs and if the price is comfortable for you then why not upgrade to lighter. For example, why use a Nalgene (other than for hot beverages) when Gatoraide bottles are lighter or trading that Coleman Peak 442 for a Jetboil.

The only ultralight gear I decided against was an alcohol stove and I'm not sure that counts because the canister stove I replaced it with is pretty light.

Even if you don't make a conscious effort to go ultralight, nearly all conventinal gear is lighter now than when you thruhiked in '91.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

No me... I'm happy to carry as little as possible and still be safe. The lighter my pack, the more enjoyable my hike and that's why I wear a pack in the first place - to hike. 18ish lbs with 3 days food and a quart of water is my sweet spot.

I've been happy with my pack weight for a while but I am going to switch to a cuben tarp over the coming months in preparation for the PCT.

In my experience, getting lighter and lighter gear has only been a good thing but being prepared to my level of comfort (something you need to figure out) is something I must have. So again, find out what you like in terms of weight, comfortability and tweak it from there. Most places take returns so you can try something out and keep it in perfect condition and if you dont like it, send it back.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Except for Tipi Walter who apparently hates ULers, you don't find many hikers that brag about how heavy their packs are.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Legend has it that Tipi carries his own firewood and wears.a hoop of cheese around his neck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've been happy with my pack weight for a while but I am going to switch to a cuben tarp over the coming months in preparation for the PCT.
    I'd recommend SMD Wild Oasis or Zpacks Hexamid Solo Tent. Both are shaped tarps. There are places on the PCT where you'll really appreciate the bug protection. I found the WO combined with a tyvek groundcloth shaped to fit over bug netting fringe, did a reasonable job of keeping the skeeters out, through many got in when I jumped into the tent. I used my Superfeet insole to swat over a hundred dead one night in Yellowstone. On the PCT, you'll find there are lots of nights when you just throw out the tyvek and sleep under the starts, so it makes sense to carry a really light shelter. That said, I've spent a freak spring snowstorm that dumped 18" of wet snow in the WO. It was fine.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

Legend has it that Tipi carries his own firewood and wears.a hoop of cheese around his neck.
    Nah. His concession to the new century was trying the fancy cheddar that comes in wheels.

I hear they roll nice down hills.

Wild Oasis might be kinda short for knees and elbows kind of guy.

I heard he actually carried Ryan Jordan to see what the whole UL thing was all about.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Don't think I'll ever happen to "go back", because even though I wish to carry less because I am getting older, my average pack weight will still be on the heavy end of the scale. Or let me put it this way, I'd rather be comfy for all 5 days, no matter the weather, trail conditions, etc, than be uncomfy for 2 out of those 5 days because I didn't bring all the proper gear. When out for 5 days here, 3 days there, 4 days another time, it's easy to not carry every thing you need if you can check weather and leave it at home. On a long hike, that is not possible, especially on the AT because it can rain every day for weeks, be cold one day, hot the next.
    Many of the UL'ers seem to be the type that don't mind carrying less even if they have to bear the brunt of bad conditions b/c they don't have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddlefoot View Post
    I am willing to make the investment in gear - but I am wondering if anyone here has gone ultralight and then decided to go back to conventional backpacking (and why?).
    Thanks!
    Sure if I'm not trying to hike 20 miles a day for a long distance with a bad achilles, I'll bring an inflatable pillow. Hiking in March and September I'll certainly bring pants and also more cold weather gear than a long sleeve shirt. Maybe more than one pair of socks or some underwear etc.

I think you get the idea, there are comfort and luxury item that I really like to have but the AT was hard enough on my body without the extra weight. I'm glad that I did it the way I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    Don't think I'll ever happen to "go back", because even though I wish to carry less because I am getting older, my average pack weight will still be on the heavy end of the scale. Or let me put it this way, I'd rather be comfy for all 5 days, no matter the weather, trail conditions, etc, than be uncomfy for 2 out of those 5 days because I didn't bring all the proper gear. When out for 5 days here, 3 days there, 4 days another time, it's easy to not carry every thing you need if you can check weather and leave it at home. On a long hike, that is not possible, especially on the AT because it can rain every day for weeks, be cold one day, hot the next.
    Many of the UL'ers seem to be the type that don't mind carrying less even if they have to bear the brunt of bad conditions b/c they don't have everything.
    is 6 months long enough? (if people haven't watched Andrew's Alaska loop video or seen his talks i highly recommend them)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf7TypZwtc

It takes skills and experience to do things right and be prepared while being light. You can find light weight and heavy weight backpackers that are unprepared. Casting a wide net that UL = unprepared is ridiculous and means you are doing it wrong.

When I buy new equipment I tend to replace what I have with the lightest stuff I can find (with an eye to reasonable price also), but how much weight I carry depends a lot on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I LOVE canoe camping because you can go into wild areas and literally take the kitchen sink with you...my canoe will hold 1200 pounds. But if I'm going on a short hike and the weather is good I'll just take my sleeping bag, cooking gear and a tarp. So I'd bet people 'go back' all the time depending on the circumstances. One reason people might 'go back' to heavier equipment is that in some cases the lighter equipment won't put up with as much abuse.

High-quality, light, inexpensive: Pick Two

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    High-quality, light, inexpensive: Pick Two
    Not true. Plenty of lightweight gear that is similar price as heavier stuff.

Images

don't even know what i am? i usually buy the lightest item if replacing, but not always true. i hammock, but i tent also. i hike to camp and sometimes i camp to hike. i car camp and backpack. kayak flat water and ocean. i white blaze, but enjoy blue.
    the only thing that seems to stay consistent is i'm Trash
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I think I am too big to ever get into the UL group, but I'm light enough for me, and I'm comfortable on my trips. My total pack weight, including water and food, is in the low 30's which I don't think is too bad if you weigh 260. Yes, I could cut a couple pounds, but at age 50, I want to be able to sit up in my tent. I want a decent nights sleep, and I want to eat pretty good. So, I have good gear that is light weight, and do the best I can to get it down, but I still have my limits.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++