WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default hennessy hammocks bottom entrance vs side entrance

I am considering purchasing the ultralight hennessy hammock. But not sure if I should get the one with bottom entrance or side entrance.
    Allthough the bottom entrance looks very cool and convenient and has the wow facter. I worry that once you try to exit everything will want fall out sleeping bag, insulation etc. Has anyone had any experience with these hammocks especially with bottom entrance ones?

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

No experience with bottom entry, but I really like my side entry HH

Journal Entries
    Images

NO brainer, everyone has a side enter - and it only takes once.... and you end up upside down in a burrito..... Bottom is Kulll!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    No experience with bottom entry, but I really like my side entry HH
    + 1 on the side entry...love mine
    Kibble's n Bit's

Images

my son loves the bottom entry. i had a 3/4 zipper mod put on both of mine. all 3 i have were both bought before the side entry was offered.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Bottom entry is a hassle if you're using a pad instead of an underquilt. I imagine an underquilt for a bottom entry hammock would be more complicated and expensive.

You won't fall out, your weight is centered above the opening. Bottom entry = weather protection, warm dry place to dress and put on boots, less insects when entering/exiting. If the hammock is hung a little lower at the head end, stuff does not slide down. The opening has velcro, you won't fall out. (did I mention it's always dry inside?)

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Bottom entry is a hassle if you're using a pad instead of an underquilt. I imagine an underquilt for a bottom entry hammock would be more complicated and expensive.
    This right here is the deadly blow aginst bottom entry. I have a bottom entry from back in the day before side entry. I would gladly swap it out for a side entry. On the other hand when I set up my hammock in the park for a nap, bottom entry is pretty cool. It is completely impractical though.

I started out with a bottom entry HH before there was anything else available. It worked, but all my other hammocks are side entry and I feel they are better and more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    You won't fall out, your weight is centered above the opening. Bottom entry = weather protection, warm dry place to dress and put on boots, less insects when entering/exiting. If the hammock is hung a little lower at the head end, stuff does not slide down. The opening has velcro, you won't fall out. (did I mention it's always dry inside?)
    I am not concerned with me falling out the bottom. I am more concerned with all my gear falling out once I try to exit. Also the difficulty of exiting through the bottom once my gear is inside....maybe to get up to use bathroom

Images

i think you just answered your own question get the side zip entry.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

i started out with a bottom entry hh survivor,its great when warm weather is here i liked the fast exit.the thing that is a magor cramp in the keester when it gets cold is you fight everything in the hammock getting in or out. i now have a side entry in wbbb the difference is amazing in the way of convienience.go side entry or you will wish you were double jointed in the knees so you could kick your own azz harder.

I prefer the zip model. It is easy to enter and exit and arrange sleeping gear. I can unzip and throw the screen back for more airflow or to adjust my undercover and underquilt. Nice for a quick seat too.

If you're using an under quilt, a side entry allows you to reach out and move your quilt around much easier.

David

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I like the bottom entry (that's what she said). I think it works better than a side entry if you're a pad user- easier to position the pad as you get in. Never had anything fall out while I was getting in or out.

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

It's not a problem at all. I have the HH Hyperlight (the even lighter-weight model than the Ultralight) and my gear never falls out. Basically, any weight in the hammock automatically pulls the entrance closed unless you keep it open. Your gear won't follow you out. I tend to hang most of my gear (all the smaller stuff) from the ridgeline anyway, which keeps the little stuff from getting in your way whether you're getting in and out or just laying in it.

I've found the bottom entry to be very handy in virtually every way. For instance, the whole "getting up to use the bathroom" thing is way easier than it would seem, since you can just pop the seam and hang your feet down to put on camp shoes or boots without ever touching the ground until you're ready to.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I also had a bottom entry HH and it soured me on using hammocks. It looked like a really neat idea, but in practice it left a lot to be desired. Getting in and out of it was indeed easy, everything else about it wasn't. Should I ever desire to try a hammock again (which is doubtful) I would definately go with a side entrance.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

My first hammock was the HH Hyperlite bottom entry (a.k.a., the "birth canal") - hated it. I then switched to the side entry and love it! It is way more convenient to enter/exit plus if I do not feel like using the bug shield, I can just leave it unzipped. I have never fell out of it and I find it way more convenient to exit and enter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well if I thought it was a "birth canal" I would hate it too. When you paint that kind of picture, you are psyc-ing yourself out of something...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I have a Hennessey Explorer ultralight that came with bottom entry, after a year or so I had the zip mod done so now have a hammock with side or bottom entry. Last Summer I used my hammock for my thru and not once did I use the bottom entry. Side entry clearly was the best option for me. The bigest advantage for me was being able to reach out of the hammock to adjust underquilt or reach my drinking bottle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++