WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Returning severly worn boots to REI

I've been following a SOBO thread elsewhere whose latest post indicated the their boots (1,100 miles mind you) had fallen apart and they returned them at an REI because of REI's lifetime warranty policy. The picture included in the post shows the sole completely seperated from the upper from the toe of one boot to about midway back. Shouldn't 1,100 miles be considered "lifetime" for a pair of boots? It just seems that one could expect a pair of boots to fall apart after 1,100 miles or at least simply need to be replaced after that long. Does this sound to anyone else like REI is being taken advantage of?

The person said the boots were replaced with new of the same brand and a tent and sleeping bag were also replaced and the person was given $50 back?!?! What about paying for your own gear???

I personally think REI and LL Bean would sell just as much merchandise if they cancelled their lifetime gaurantee policy. They really open themselves up to being taken advantage of.

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Journal Entries
    Images

Several years ago there was a thread, where folks discussed that they needed to replace their boots two times when doing the entire trail...

I used to buy a new new balance sneaker every year just for section hiking.

Under the pricing structure - they do it for good customer service - and yes a few take advantage of it. But REI can turn some of it into rental and "midnight member only sale"

Look at it in a different light, someone in my circle of freinds asked "Why when you go to Walmart and buy that cheap junk, do you deserve a Coustomer Return Counter?"
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-01-2012 at 09:06.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Several years ago there was a thread, where folks discussed that they needed to replace their boots two times when doing the entire trail...
    I understand needing to replace your boots midway through a...thru. But I don't think you should expect to get them for free. Boots wear out. Shouldn't one be expected to buy a new pair as opposed to replacing them free of charge because they are supposed to last one's lifetime?

Ickybod
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    I've been following a SOBO thread elsewhere whose latest post indicated the their boots (1,100 miles mind you) had fallen apart and they returned them at an REI because of REI's lifetime warranty policy. The picture included in the post shows the sole completely seperated from the upper from the toe of one boot to about midway back. Shouldn't 1,100 miles be considered "lifetime" for a pair of boots? It just seems that one could expect a pair of boots to fall apart after 1,100 miles or at least simply need to be replaced after that long. Does this sound to anyone else like REI is being taken advantage of?

The person said the boots were replaced with new of the same brand and a tent and sleeping bag were also replaced and the person was given $50 back?!?! What about paying for your own gear???

I personally think REI and LL Bean would sell just as much merchandise if they cancelled their lifetime gaurantee policy. They really open themselves up to being taken advantage of.

Ickybod
    I think this is just a business trade off. Ultimately, people like this are being subsidized by the rest of us that don't take advantage of a generous return policy. I believe REI has a "lifetime return policy", which means that if you're not satisfied you can return items. A "lifetime warranty" implies a promise/expectation that items will last for life, where as a "lifetime return" policy lets you decide if you think you got what you paid for and should expect. From a legal sense, I don't suppose there is much difference. From a moral sense, well, I don't know how a grown man could return boots with 1100 miles on them and look the REI customer service rep in the eye.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I think this is just a business trade off. Ultimately, people like this are being subsidized by the rest of us that don't take advantage of a generous return policy. I believe REI has a "lifetime return policy", which means that if you're not satisfied you can return items. A "lifetime warranty" implies a promise/expectation that items will last for life, where as a "lifetime return" policy lets you decide if you think you got what you paid for and should expect. From a legal sense, I don't suppose there is much difference. From a moral sense, well, I don't know how a grown man could return boots with 1100 miles on them and look the REI customer service rep in the eye.
    from the ones ive talked to the past few years its become pretty standard thru hiker rpactice to buy shoes at rei and then get them replaced for free all the way up the trail. a dumb policy, but if rei wants to do it, thats their business.

the best similar thing i heard lately was from a thru who had a seemingly legit complaint about his solomon's falling apart prematurely. he called the company and they sent him a replacement pair. the funny thing is they didnt ask for the old one's back, a picture of them, a receipt from the point of purchase, nada. it would seem to imply that if anyone just called solomon with a story about a pair of shoes that fell apart after a few hundred miles of thru hiking, theyd receive a brand new pair for free, no questions asked.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Makes me wish that REI sold car tires and motor oil...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It really is tough. Some people get out to hike so infrequently that a year down the road they may only have a 100 miles on a pair of boots. So a time limit on the warranty would be tough.

I had a friend who I hiked Isle Royale with. We hiked 135 miles on the trip and the soles of our boots were in rough shape from walking on the rocky ridges. His gortex liner leaked the first rain about 3 days in. He bought the boots just for the trip. He flipped back and forth on returning them the whole ride home. He returned them to REI for a refund. 1/10 th the miles of your example but their policy is if you are not satisfied with the product to return it. On a thru maybe 1,000 miles was his/her first available opportunity.

Is it abused? yes. Are we paying more because of it? yes. Do I shop there? sometimes. Its REIs policy to change. If you don't agree with it vote with your wallet and buy from another company who's policy you agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    In the very early days of NASCAR racing, it was routine to run street tires purchased from Sears & Roebuck, who had a generous return policy. Some teams would purchase sets of tires during the week, run them on weekends, and return them on Monday.

Sears Craftsman hand tools also had a lifetime warranty. A neighbor of mine returned a broken 1/2" drive ratchet handle, some 30 years old, which was beaten all to h##l, and requested a free replacement. The only comment he got from the salesman was "we also sell hammers, you know".

So few purchasers actually request performance under lifetime guarantees that it's an entirely nominal cost of doing business. Me, personally, I'd never hold REI or any other seller to a lifetime guarantee if I had gotten reasonable wear out of an item. I don't mind paying for good equipment, and I expect good service out of it. If I've gotten that, I'm good.

AO

There was definitely someone's thru-hike sleeping bag at this weekend garage sale.... smelled like death warmed over... couldn't put it back in the bag fast enough.

and yep.. prices stay closer to MSRP, which if you haven't seen the "at cost" price... pretty big markup on gear especially, clothing a little less so.

If REI dropped their return policy they would have to lower their prices also. I buy a lot of stuff there, but it is mostly because they will replace it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Packeagle:1343706

On a thru maybe 1,000 miles was his/her first available opportunity.

. Baloney. This is just a prime example of the thru hiker gimmee mentality that has erupted on the trail and observed first hand. It's sad how the trail culture is now hikers with hands extended, looking for freebies, just because they are on a hike. Sort of what's going on in our nation now.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    its not just REI. home depot used to accept returns of partially used cans of paint and worn paintbrushes. not sure they do anymore, but you might actually find an auto supply store that takes back motor oil. i would not be the least bit surprised.

REI doesn't sell my brand...so I guess I am stuck paying for mine... There are a few thing I still buy from REI, but not much anymore. I have a few bigger items, such as a sleeping pad and trekking poles from them because of their warranty, but I don't even use the poles and the sleeping pad is no longer made anyway...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Virginia Tortoise

I was in retail for 20 years and found that there are always a few people that want to take advantage of the system. Sure, REI and Bean will take anything back at anytime. But the rest of us pay for it in terms of higher prices. I was going to post what I really think of people that abuse return policies but I am certain that my post would be removed.

Every time I see this I wonder if I could take back my 1986 Perception Dancer Kayak for a full refund. It cost $750 in 86' and is very used. Of course it's only a thought as I have a conscience.

Returning worn out gear is just irresponsible. If it breaks or is defective that is fine but if you wore it out then you have used it's entire service life. Grow up and stop being an ass and accept a little responsibility. You are not sponsored by REI to destroy their gear.

geek

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Never in a million years would I buy something, wear it out, and return it for a new one. I do not understand that mindset.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Every time I see this I wonder if I could take back my 1986 Perception Dancer Kayak for a full refund. It cost $750 in 86' and is very used. Of course it's only a thought as I have a conscience.
    Yeah, I've got one of those nagging consciences also, apparently I could have saved a lot of money on boots and sleeping bags if I was just more of a mild sociopath.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Anyone who has not been to an REI scratch and dent sale should go. It is a real eye opener in this regard. It's also a chance to score some real deals.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I was in retail for 20 years and found that there are always a few people that want to take advantage of the system. Sure, REI and Bean will take anything back at anytime. But the rest of us pay for it in terms of higher prices. I was going to post what I really think of people that abuse return policies but I am certain that my post would be removed.
    I, too, spent many years working in retail and in customer service so I know EXACTLY what you are thinking about taking advantage. This is just another case.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++