WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My mom has one she uses for reading labels at the store and such. It has a lens that slides in and out (prevents scratches) and a small light.

Similar to this: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...266907-product

They come in a variety of sizes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
    I like this....did you make it? I've never seen one of these. I was thinking a retractable cord would be handy.
    just an old glass and i wove amsteel around it. i got bored
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet Gooch View Post
    This one's lighter (5.5 grams): http://www.bestglide.com/fresnel_lens_firestarter.html

And yes, it'll start a fire
    OK I will bite.... Buy it and try it! Tell me how well it works this month.... Challenge this .. show us in a Utube you starting a fire.

its a toss up.... good luck.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    OK I will bite.... Buy it and try it! Tell me how well it works this month.... Challenge this .. show us in a Utube you starting a fire.

its a toss up.... good luck.
    "Boots in the field..."
    Yes, we need more skills/preparedness challenges here on WhiteBlaze.

While I do own the item linked to, admittedly, I've never started a fire with it. However, as a dumbass preteen, I did melt/burn just about everything I could using a set of plastic Fresnel lens magnifiers (a free gift, courtesy of World Book Encyclopedia), so I know it's possible.

I'm endorsing the product as a light-weight magnifier, not as a fire starter. Best Glide ASE is a reputable company. I've purchased a few of their wilderness/aviation survival kits over the years.

WOO, I doubt I'll be making a video, but if you're up to it, I'll send one of the magnifiers your way. PM me if you're interested

Garlic
    Images

Yeah, that's a good idea, Chin. I have a cheap plastic one in my map bag all the time. I have reading glasses in my shirt pocket, but the magnifying glass is a back-up. And when you go on to hike the CDT and use the Ley maps, you'll need both together.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    There are also 'frenzel' lenses (spelling?), which you can get in bookstores. Flat and about the size of a cedit card, they magnify and because they're plastic they flax. Might be less prone to breakage.
    1+ on the pocket fresnel lens idea. You can find them at Wally World in the Optics Dept. I think they come in a 3 pack for cheap. I usually tear out a page or two of my data book and carry it in a ziplock for easy reference during the day. The pocket fresnel fits nicely inside too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++