WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default what was your coldest day?

what was your coldest day ever on the trail? lets hear where you were and what time of year.

december of 2000. heading south in jersey. walked on sunfish pond instead of the trail

-70°F wind chill. The Black Mountains. Winter, a few years back

Images

4 July 86, Long Trail, 3 days of rain, first and last UL trip!

Images

-6°F wind chill with my wife on Springer Mountain, New Year's Eve 2009, in hammocks!!! Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

The coldest day I recall temperatures wise was with wind chill- 50. I was in the state of VT in Jan 1995 getting hit with an off season hurricane.It snowed on me 5 feet. The storm made impossible to hike because of both thewinds and snow. I stayed put for 3 days before finally making a break for itand hitting inside. A very cold 3 days.
    The cold I been, was -35 with a frozen sleeping bag – my waterbottle broke inside my sleeping bag and turn to ice while in the 100 milewilderness, Maine. That was Jan 2005. I manage to walk out after spending thenext 3 nights freezing my butt off.
    Wolf

Images

December 2006. Roan High Knob Shelter. Zero on the thermometer with a brisk wind blowing. Water bottles froze solid inside my sleeping bag.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    December 2006. Roan High Knob Shelter. Zero on the thermometer with a brisk wind blowing. Water bottles froze solid inside my sleeping bag.
    That is one cold shelter.

Christmas Eve 197?. -7 or so with a screaming wind in the Presidential Range. One of us got sick and we headed back down.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

-10 deg F, Ethan Pond Shelter WMNF NH, Jan 2010

That was cold enough for me. Used a lot more fuel melting snow for drinking water than I had expected to. Since then I have learned to break the ice over running stream to get at the water in order to conserve a little bit of fuel.

Came in from Zealand TH so picked up the AT just past the AMC's Zealand hut. Had planned a loop of the Shoal Pond trail, Wilderness trail, and Thoreau Falls trail but ended up during some exploring around the shelter and then getting out the next day.

Hi...

A balmy but typical -40 F on a dogsled trail between a small Arctic community and the Yukon River. I believe it was ten miles round trip. Being dressed correctly, it was no problem staying warm.

Was almost run down by a dogsled team. Contrary to what you might see in the movies, they usually move quite silently. 1975.

The proceeding Halloween, trick-or-treaters were out in -30 F the preceding Halloween. In Fairbanks, it was only -20 F for the trick-or-treater kids there.

Turned out to be one of the coldest winters anyone remembered. Have many photos of thermometers reading 50 to 60 below. NOTE: thermometers in the lower 48 usually only go to -40 F.

Journal Entries
    Images

2001 thru...8 degrees at Ice water Spring shelter...Made it through the night in a 20 degree bag.
    Grampie-N->2001

wookinpanub

On AT:
    May 1990, 4 degrees inside my tent, which was set up inside the Avery Memorial lean-to on Avery Peak. (It's no longer there.) A 20 degree bag made for a long night.

Off AT:
    -10 degrees, below Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park one February. Great week-long trip where I had the park to myself. I never saw anyone. I was fully prepared and the -10 wasn't that bad.

Images

First day of spring, 1981. Whitetop Mountain, VA. Can't remember if it was 12 or 13 below zero the night after a blizzard that dropped about 18-24" of snow. We holed up in the cabin for two days that used to be on the summit, tents up inside, melting snow for water.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

January 2011, Roan High Knob, 4 ft snow, 30-40 mph winds, 1.8º.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Minus 38 degrees at Franconia Brook Campsite in the White Mountain National Forest in December, 1974. I awoke in my tent with a pile of about 3 inches of light, fluffy, odd smelling snow on my sleeping bag in front of my face. I quickly figured out that as I exhaled in my sleep, my breath would rise straight up, freeze, and fall back to my bag as tiny frozen crystals.

The coldest day i have ever had is Feb-28th at the spence field shelter i was doing my Thru-hike their was 2 foot of snow and the Temps ranged from 5 degrees that night to 20 the next day the entire five days i was in the park it was fridgid but this year mild temps for the smokies. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ).

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Single digits outside Franklin in early March.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    WOW...... Inside your sleeping bag
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Last January Springer to NOC a few nights in the single digits, I'm sure it was well below with the WC
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++