WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Thanks for the article. I like the idea of online resevations. Makes it alot easier. Also $4 a night is still a bargin. They charge $5 in the Desolation Wilderness so...

Images

I read the article but did not see a start date for both fees as well as online reservations, beginning of 2013 was all I found. And wil this be required of thru hikers as well? I dont know how I feel about this...

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Can I do work for stay?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Backcountry camping, front country camping, fireflies, fly fishing, parking. The fees are compounding thanks to Dale Ditmanson. He sure seems awfully motivated to find reasons to utilize these Canadians and their reservation system. hmmmm.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

"Reservations may be made at any time up to 30 days in advance, allowing maximum flexibility for those making last minute plans."

By who's standards is 30 days "last minute?"
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LDog View Post
    "Reservations may be made at any time up to 30 days in advance, allowing maximum flexibility for those making last minute plans."

By who's standards is 30 days "last minute?"
    The same people who take 10 years to approve an off shore drilling permit.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

what if you dont believe that someone can own the smokey mountains? Do I just walk through it and not see the fees?
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

I double dare them. No really can we $40 for a pass? I really would like them to get rid of the mice and those G*$ D^%$ bear fences.

P.S. Bear Cables, common who's going to only stay one night in the Desolation. $15 bucks for a weekend in the Desolation. But the trout are the size of my arm.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin S and A View Post
    what if you dont believe that someone can own the smokey mountains? Do I just walk through it and not see the fees?
    You can try.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I just came through the A.T. section of the Smokies three weeks ago. Some of the new shelters are really nice, with translucent roofs and some newly designed eating areas that look like they are missing bar stools. But it was a big mistake to not put privies on site. Seriously, no privies. Paying to stay at a shelter is a bad precedent. Soon we will have to pay a fee to register with the ATC to get a permit to travel the Trail, then a State Fee when entering each state and a Federal fee for crossing state lines.
    Go Everywhere, Study Everything, Fear Nothing

Hey Chainsaw! Remember me from last year, wildrain? How goes it? I never got to finish the trail but im starting over this year!

Native Norwegian Polar Bear Tor's Avatar

I'll just havta pitch the tent a little further off the trail then.....
    "Adventure Is Just Bad Planning" - Roald Amundsen

My god WHAT is the problem? It's $4! The same people who complain about how run down the shelters are, turn around and complain when the shelters get fixed. I'm sure the $4 will help clean up and clear the many trails that have been hit hard. So many ppl say they love the Smokies, but not very many ppl are out there helping to clean them up.

the online reservation system sounds great, its almost impossible to get thru on their telephone number for reservations now.... but I wonder how will this be enforced, they will have to hire additional park rangers to patrol the shelters and campsites, or else like GMC in Vermont, they will need fulltime AT caretakers that will essentially "live" along the trail to patrol the shelters and campsites during the hiking season and collect the money. It could work if the Park Service invests enough resources into the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by rev_sunshine View Post
    My god WHAT is the problem? It's $4! The same people who complain about how run down the shelters are, turn around and complain when the shelters get fixed. I'm sure the $4 will help clean up and clear the many trails that have been hit hard. So many ppl say they love the Smokies, but not very many ppl are out there helping to clean them up.
    I doubt a dime on the dollar goes to such things. The money will be swallowed up in bureaucracy.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

GSMNP is one of the only national parks in the country that doesn't charge an entrance fee. It's also the most visited park. Thru hikers create the most backcountry damage (outside of storms and natural damage). Thru hikers leave trash, crap wherever they please, wash dishes/clothes in the water systems, leave food out for the bears, start fires where they're not supposed to, camp wherever they please despite the damage it does, destroy shelters, etc. And, despite all of the "I love nature. We need to protect this precious natural resource" rhetoric, ppl are crying over 4$ and devising their plans to screw the park more. I spend A LOT of time in The Smokies...way more than the 8 or so nights most thru hikers do. If the park workers/volunteers weren't so busy picking up after sloppy thru hikers (some of whom are just downright piggish), maybe some other trails could get maintained too. But instead of fixing trails that have been closed for years, ungrateful thru hikers get new shelters for their 8 night visit...and they're STILL complaining.

I have to say too. I've never had a problem getting through on the reservation line. I'm not saying other ppl haven't...maybe I'm just super lucky. I've also never had a problem getting a last minute reservation...even same day reservation at popular sites. I won't go anywhere near the AT in summer, so maybe that's why I don't have a problem getting a res, but I've only ever gotten a busy signal once. For a park of its size, and working on the budget it does (compared to say, Grand Canyon that gets 20$ a car), I've always been pretty impressed w/ the current res system.

Quote Originally Posted by rev_sunshine View Post
    GSMNP is one of the only national parks in the country that doesn't charge an entrance fee. It's also the most visited park. Thru hikers create the most backcountry damage (outside of storms and natural damage). Thru hikers leave trash, crap wherever they please, wash dishes/clothes in the water systems, leave food out for the bears, start fires where they're not supposed to, camp wherever they please despite the damage it does, destroy shelters, etc. And, despite all of the "I love nature. We need to protect this precious natural resource" rhetoric, ppl are crying over 4$ and devising their plans to screw the park more. I spend A LOT of time in The Smokies...way more than the 8 or so nights most thru hikers do. If the park workers/volunteers weren't so busy picking up after sloppy thru hikers (some of whom are just downright piggish), maybe some other trails could get maintained too. But instead of fixing trails that have been closed for years, ungrateful thru hikers get new shelters for their 8 night visit...and they're STILL complaining.
    IMO your post is simply FOS
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I am thrilled with this... I will gladly pay $4. I could NEVER get anyone to answer the phones for reservations. They have done a Gr8 job on sprucing up many of the shelters in the GSMNP.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++