WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    PS: To finish the thought, I gather that recession of diabetes with significant weight loss is very common.
    I don't disagree but I have older friends with severe diabetes that in my opinion were not fat or eating the wrong foods.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I don't disagree but I have older friends with severe diabetes that in my opinion were not fat or eating the wrong foods.
    Oh, it's genetic, and some have it worse than others - I was diabetic by age 30, yea for me! - but the condition's receding with weight loss is pretty common, and nothing better for that than a thru-hike.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I'm pretty much going to have to do all my own prep before hand - just got diagnosed with type II diabetes. (I'm trying to imagine the trail without pizza, and it's hard at this point, even though I don't eat much at home. And forget the 1/2 gallon challenge. . . ) At any rate, I decided that I'm going to go with a wider variety of protein than I otherwise would have so I don't get bored. I can make my own jerky, but I get sick of it pretty easily. Looking for freeze dried chicken, ham, and maybe even some sausage for the powdered eggs in the morning. I know I saw a web site where I can get this stuff, but I can't find it.

For the record, I tried low carb spaghetti, and it was awful - I told my husband that I'd rather go with the zuchinni shaved as "pasta" than eat that stuff. I guess stews it will be.

It's challenging enough to learn low carb cooking all at once - figuring out how I'll be able to handle the trail next year is a whole different challenge. Oh well, off to make my birthday low carb cheesecake! Life is not all about deprivation!

Target has freezes dried fruit , no sugar added, bananas, peaches, mango, strawberries, berries, AND freezes dried veggies- peas and corn., etc. Look for "Archer Farms Simply Balanced bags. Very light and very good.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Drybones, you can dehydrate canned Salmon. You dehydrate anything. I dehydrated Watermelon and it makes the best trail candy.

Journal Entries

I try to low carb wherever I go including backpacking. It is not always not always the lightest choice but is certainly very possible. It's helpful to learn what type of meats and other LC foods can last without refrigeration, such as peperoni, salami and other like types of meat that don't need refrigeration and also eggs as they stay good even under a chicken - as long as you don't break them. You may be packing a few cans in the pack also as that can give you some variety that you just won't be able to find otherwise. Planning is a big part, in town eat big and get a good dinner, as you progress though the days till next resupply food choices will be more and more 'preserved' so enjoy the opportunities for low carb variety when you can.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    Drybones, you can dehydrate canned Salmon. You dehydrate anything. I dehydrated Watermelon and it makes the best trail candy.
    I explored this and I want to say it was nasty... an 8 ounce can from Alaska Salmon was full of bone like a Sardine can and crunchy... YES you can dehydrate stuff... But I will skip this stuff and stick to smoking my meats. It's not personal - I did give it a try.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetspot View Post
    Drybones, you can dehydrate canned Salmon. You dehydrate anything...

Yes you can! I always take this when I hike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I gained 25 lbs last year when my thyroid meds were messed up - probably the reason I went into diabetes. But I've lost all but 2 lbs since spring, and the diabetes isn't going away. I hope to lose 15-20 more lbs on the trail, but I'm not particularly fat right now. BMI of right around 25.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Journal Entries
    Images

a lot of my weight problems happened almost immediately after I lost my thyroid. I have been on a low carb / low sodium for years.... I still get an occasional Cheeze Steak!

Back to the answer ... I thought I had answered and somehow it didn't stick....

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/fre...x#.UJVlgGdGDrw
    http://www.packitgourmet.com/Freeze-...cken-p256.html

Best prices

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...hicken&rq=true
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 11-03-2012 at 14:41.

Woo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++