WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: First snow

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Snow on top of Camel's Hump (VT) yesterday, too. Psyched for winter, but some Indian Summer days would be welcome, too.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

was in northern MN last week. they got 6 inches, which is more and earlier than usual for a first snow for them.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Wow... Makes me wonder: What is the average date for snow to fall in any area of the continental U.S.?

Me and a few friends did a hike in the catskills from early Sunday morning until Monday evening. We spent the night around devil's acre lean to which around 2 miles from the hunter mountain fire tower and sits at ~ 3k feet. It started raining at 7 but quickly changed to all snow by 8. It was a heavy, wet snow that was accumulating on top of our tents and on virtually everything everything else. It came down pretty hard until midnight and I could hear the wet snow plopping down on my rain fly, accumulating until it got too heavy to withstand the angle, and then sliding off onto the ground. That, combined with the sound of dead leaves getting pelted by the stuff, made for a very loud night and a very spotty sleep. By the time morning rolled around, everything had melted and there was a thick fog covering the area. It was a very chilly start, but a truly wonderful experience...something I'll always look back on fondly even though it kinda sucked at the time.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    Me and a few friends did a hike in the catskills from early Sunday morning until Monday evening. We spent the night around devil's acre lean to which around 2 miles from the hunter mountain fire tower and sits at ~ 3k feet. It started raining at 7 but quickly changed to all snow by 8. It was a heavy, wet snow that was accumulating on top of our tents and on virtually everything everything else. It came down pretty hard until midnight and I could hear the wet snow plopping down on my rain fly, accumulating until it got too heavy to withstand the angle, and then sliding off onto the ground. That, combined with the sound of dead leaves getting pelted by the stuff, made for a very loud night and a very spotty sleep. By the time morning rolled around, everything had melted and there was a thick fog covering the area. It was a very chilly start, but a truly wonderful experience...something I'll always look back on fondly even though it kinda sucked at the time.
    we went to the daks in early oct a few years ago - maybe like the 4-8 or something of oct....no snow on the ground down low, but there was over 2 feet above 3000 feet.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Winter is starting to settle in. Looks like more snow up high last night, more coming and a real cold morning Saturday. Who ever hasn't made it to Katahdin yet has probably missed thier chance. Sure hope that guy "Special" isn't still planning to start a SOBO at the end of the month!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Last week WMUR had videos and photos of the plow clearing the toll road on Mt. Washington and snow on Cannon. A couple of lost hikers spent a frosty night in the woods a week ago.
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++