Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Making a Website for Lady Hikers. Suggestions, please!

Hey ladies,
    I need some ideas for a website I'm working on. I thru-hiked this year, and now I'd like to make an informational website for other women that are thinking about doing a hike. I'd like to hear any ideas or suggestions you might have. What did you want to know when you first started out as a backpacker? Any particular topics you think should be addressed? Do you want to hear about gear, about certain sections of the trail, about the hiker lifestyle? Would you be interested to hear trail stories from other female hikers?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to create a useful resource for other female hikers.

Images

If you could explain to my wife the Spiders aren't as big as she thinks they'll be

No, a Four Seasons marble tub shouldn't be at every Shelter and that those shelters should stay 1/2star not 5Stars

I have a wonderful loving wife and it would be nice if we could hike instead of "I"

Quote Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
    Hey ladies,
    I need some ideas for a website I'm working on. I thru-hiked this year, and now I'd like to make an informational website for other women that are thinking about doing a hike. I'd like to hear any ideas or suggestions you might have. What did you want to know when you first started out as a backpacker? Any particular topics you think should be addressed? Do you want to hear about gear, about certain sections of the trail, about the hiker lifestyle? Would you be interested to hear trail stories from other female hikers?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to create a useful resource for other female hikers.
    Suppliers that make clothing and other stuff actually designed for women - and in my case, short women!

I'm researching a hammock for myself right now - I don't care that it will take a guy that's 6'3" - I'm 5' tall and I sure don't need a 250lb weight limit. I want a short hammock darnit!! I can see a custom made one in my future!

Try finding zip off pants that are actually shorts instead of capri's when you've got an inseam of 28"...rofl!

And don't limit it to the AT - there's a world of trails out there!

Oh my gosh that sounds fantastic! Please keep us posted on this! I'm planning to thru-hike in 2016 when I turn 40.

I would love tips on just about anything: gear, ways to save money before and along the way, how to eat healthy and stay healthy on the trail, how to keep relatively clean on the trail (haha), how to stay safe along the trail, what you did to train for the hike, etc. Of course, I'd love to hear stories from other AT thru-hiking women. Thanks in advance for this

Images

Awesome, I can't wait to see it! I start my thru-hike on the 1st of April, 2013 and things I'd like to see on a website are: vegetarian backpacking food recipes, grocery store food for vegetarians (ok, I think everyone knows I'm a vegetarian now...), address safety concerns for women on the trail (and I don't necessarily means bears and snakes), mental (such as coping with missing s/o and family back home, being on the trail for 5-6 months, etc.) and physical challenges of the trail, resupplying methods & the pros and cons of each, links to trail journals, a forum would be cool, and if I think of anything else, I will certainly add to this list.

Let us know when it is up and running

Images

I think our culturally-imbued fears are our biggest deterrent from getting out and doing it. Anytime a woman dreams of adventure there are naysayers who will explain why it's not a good a idea, not safe, or whatever.

Besides technical information--gear, links to trail websites, etc.--I think interviews and inspirational articles would be invaluable.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Oh, and information on ultralight backpacking. I am part of a women's group on Facebook - there's about 20 or so of us all hiking the trail next year and I don't think anyone is under the age of 45 - and many of the questions posted are about ultralight backpacking gear. It would be great to see some gear reviews, gear lists, how to make your own gear (i.e., alcohol stove), on there (I've been an ultralight backpacker for years and am willing to contribute to this...!). Thanks!

I'm not a female but in the favor of that there must be a serape web site of blog where only females are allowed to registration and share their ideas whit each other with out any others interruption.
    What are you thinking guys...?
    Brock

huh...........?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

Is there such a thing as a MEN ONLY web site? For men only issues? Why do women need there own web site to discuss ultralight gear? There are dozens of sites that discuss gear. Sorry, I don't get it. I think we can have co-ed pages and they work just fine. We already have plenty of ways to exchange misinformation.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

I actually agree with bamboo bob, and I'm a woman. Or rather, I should say I'm a backpacker. I happen to be female also, but that's tangential. We already have a site for gear reviews, advice, ultralight tips, and so on. WhiteBlaze -- along with the myriad other sites out there.

Also, I find the use of the phrase "Lady Hikers" rather offensive.

Don't shoot me! Just putting it out there, with all due respect.

Honestly, I tend to agree with Karma and Bamboo Bob. I wouldn't feel drawn to a women only website to discuss ultralight gear, tips, etc. For the most part, I find that the men on this website and other forums I frequent tend to treat the women as equal backpackers. There are some exceptions, however. Anybody remember Minnesota Smith? He is/was the poster child of a chauvenist pig. Then there are some men who seem to think that they are qualified to tell us how to handle our periods. I always want to say to them "get back to me after you have had a period every month for 10, 20, 30 years and maybe I will take your advice."

But, I digress. I can understand why some women would like to discuss female issues just with other females. Pretty much everything else is unisex, in my opinion.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Well I don't care if anyone starts a web site. All the concerns for "Lady Hikers" are also concerns with men. I met a small lady 2 years ago and she had bought a kids size hammock. I am 5'3" and my zip off pants I learned to tuck into my socks. Then the ticks have a harder time crawling up the inside of my pants. Plus the bottoms of my pants don't get full of mud anyway. Man or women have to be careful on the trail for all the same reasons.
    There is a lot of resources out there. and a lot are linked to other sites with more information.
    But go for it. It's like hiking just hike don't ask permission to hike if you want to. You don't need the hiking community blessing. But if I was going to start an web site I would also advertise on other web site. Good Luck

Yes, best of luck to you, Hashbrown! I am not aware of any female only websites for hikers so maybe you've got a great idea. Go for it!

Images

I kinda agree with those asking "Why?" I've been hiking with women, and been out-hiked by women for decades. Why should I not be allowed the same information they are getting. I find this proposition rather amusing in the fact that it is going on at the same time as the thread that is discussing how demeaning it is for women to undergo the condescending questions, and having to endure being treated different than men, or special in some way.

Hey, do what you like, but could you imagine the uproar if someone proposed a "Mens Only" forum to discuss gear, high mileage days, or how to carry all the extras you need to when accompanied by women, you know, "Mens Issues"?

Hike and HAVE FUN!

Images

Just wanted to add one more point for consideration. Often times, men are helping to prep women for their first backpacking trip. Because it's a spouse, girlfriend, co-worker, or just a friend. Nothing condescending here, just the way it is often. Yes it can be the other way around as well, not arguing or trying to imply otherwise. I treat that the same as when I help another guy - give the same advice. But isn't it better if I know of the issues and concerns that other women are having, so I can also pass on this collective wisdom? If and when men are banned from being a part of these conversations, then they will not be aware of or know the solutions to these issues. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I kinda agree with those asking "Why?" I've been hiking with women, and been out-hiked by women for decades. Why should I not be allowed the same information they are getting. I find this proposition rather amusing in the fact that it is going on at the same time as the thread that is discussing how demeaning it is for women to undergo the condescending questions, and having to endure being treated different than men, or special in some way.

Hey, do what you like, but could you imagine the uproar if someone proposed a "Mens Only" forum to discuss gear, high mileage days, or how to carry all the extras you need to when accompanied by women, you know, "Mens Issues"?

Hike and HAVE FUN!
    I am curious. What exactly are all the extras YOU need to carry when accompanied by women?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Suppliers that make clothing and other stuff actually designed for women - and in my case, short women!

I'm researching a hammock for myself right now - I don't care that it will take a guy that's 6'3" - I'm 5' tall and I sure don't need a 250lb weight limit. I want a short hammock darnit!! I can see a custom made one in my future!

Try finding zip off pants that are actually shorts instead of capri's when you've got an inseam of 28"...rofl!

And don't limit it to the AT - there's a world of trails out there!
    Yeah! Me too! I love that capri feeling!

Images

Hmmmm...

Implying ultralight gear or high mileage days was a "Men's Issue" didn't raise an objection, but the statement that men often/sometimes carry more gear they hike with a women did.

I don't usually carry more gear, at least not because of my partner being a woman, but I know a lot of hikers do. Maybe men carry for other men as well if they are trying to entice a new hiking partner to want to go again. Probably just more subtle about it in that case.

In no way implying that men HAVE to carry extra, but observation says they often do.

In case you didn't notice, I was just illustrating that most all "hiking" issues are not gender specific, they are equally shared. I actually expected the suggestion that high-mileage days as a "Man's Issue" would be the first to draw comment. I get out-hiked by women all the time, even when I was a younger guy, many women could out hike me, both speed-wise and distance.

Anyway. My point is just that there is really very little gender specific things to deal with, even if they only happen to the women, they still affect the men they are with, so all should be aware.

Images

Hashbrown was not asking whether or not she should create a website for women - she was asking for ideas on what women would like to see on a website she is already working on.

Lyle, your posts make me laugh. Please take a moment to read a quote from Wise Old Owl from the post he made on "Constant stream of..."

"Men get a grip... get the hT++ out of here... why is it so hard to let a larger group on the trail have some space? You do not need to be smart, you need to have a heart... get out of the women's forum."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++