WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Top Ten Gassification wood Stove or Hobo stove of your choice

Serious post a pic of your favorite Gassification stove or Hobo and why you like it ...give a few specs too... how fast a boil etc,
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

stove 1.jpgstove 2.jpgstove 3.jpg

the old "Four Dog" set up, titanium, no moving parts

Images

I like my Emberlit. I don't know that it's any better than others, but it works for me.
    As to posting boil times,....it all depends on what kind of wood you have and the skill of the user in building a fire.
    With a cotton ball and Vaseline, and a hand full of Rhododendron sticks,.....I can boil water as fast as an alchohol burner,....start to finish.

I like that it folds flat and takes up little space in a pack. The stove pieces alone are maybe 1/8 inch thick stacked together. Add the grill, some fire starting tender, cross pieces for small pot stand, and stuff sack,.....and it gets up to a whopping 1/4 inch thick.

Last edited by Cadenza; 10-11-2012 at 16:33.

AT 2012

I'm a fan of qiwiz's firefly wood burner - especially now that he has an esbit adapter. At 2.5 ounces I think it is the lightest. With dry wood available I boil about as fast as my old alcohol stove. Wet wood or rain I don't struggle and just use esbit. I am really happy with that dual fuel flexibility.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I'm a fan of qiwiz's firefly wood burner - especially now that he has an esbit adapter. At 2.5 ounces I think it is the lightest. With dry wood available I boil about as fast as my old alcohol stove. Wet wood or rain I don't struggle and just use esbit. I am really happy with that dual fuel flexibility.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    FFbeauty.JPG

It's a beautiful thing . . . Click on photo for really nice detailed view
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

WOO,

You may already be aware..... But may I direct you to bushcraftusa.com? Reading the content in some of your posts ( fuzzsticks, sharp knife, support of fire ect...) you, if not already aware enjoy this site. As far as gassification and hobo stoves you will find the info there endless.

We do have a Wise old Owl there but not sure it is you.

Journal Entries
    Images

1. nope not me... but very cool... no issue.
    2 thanks for makin me aware.
    3. lets keep the posts coming.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by slow mind View Post
    WOO,

You may already be aware..... But may I direct you to bushcraftusa.com? Reading the content in some of your posts ( fuzzsticks, sharp knife, support of fire ect...) you, if not already aware enjoy this site. As far as gassification and hobo stoves you will find the info there endless.
    I attempted to get on, but honest you are not called that or there is a spelling or spacing mistake when I use you for a referral. So please PM me so I can give you the points.

Woo

Images

This is a link to an excellent thread on Buhwalk Australia comparing TiTri Caldera Cone and BushBuddy stoves.

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic....e+wood#p125335

Journal Entries
    Images

Vargo titanium wood stove anyone tried it?

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I attempted to get on, but honest you are not called that or there is a spelling or spacing mistake when I use you for a referral. So please PM me so I can give you the points.
    If you get no joy with Slow Mind, use mine... Excellent site for ALL sorts of info....

Journal Entries
    Images

very cool ... I am now looking at "other" wood stoves but, are there nay Sayers to gassification or perhaps there is a time difference?

Woo

Images

All stoves gassify wood. Your match or bic lighter starts the process. Single wall works just as well as a double wall.

I did all the comparison work and it's posted in the forums here and there and elsewhere. Not many remember nor do they care?

Wise Old Owl tell us your findings. Which is better, single or double and why.

Images

Look how nice this one gassifies:

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    All stoves gassify wood. Your match or bic lighter starts the process. Single wall works just as well as a double wall.

I did all the comparison work and it's posted in the forums here and there and elsewhere. Not many remember nor do they care?
    My understanding is that any time wood is burning it produces wood gas, but not all stoves burn that gas. Is this not true? Or are you saying that for backpacking purposes it doesn't make a noticeable difference in practice?

Can you post a link to your comparison work?

Journal Entries
    Images

Zelph - I read just about everything you have posted in the past - I just don't remember the comparison you are referring too...

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    My understanding is that any time wood is burning it produces wood gas, but not all stoves burn that gas. Is this not true? Or are you saying that for backpacking purposes it doesn't make a noticeable difference in practice?

Can you post a link to your comparison work?
    Backpacking stoves are no where near big enough to produce the very high heat needed to ignite the gasses what so many refer to as the "Secondary Burn"

What we see in backpacking size stoves is all "Primary Ignition" burning of the twigs. The upward draft of air is carrying away any unburned gasses. Those gasses are long gone, no chance for a secondary ignition of them.

Double wall stoves of any worth are large stoves used by 3rd world countrys. Well insulated stove bodies are suppose to be of a benefit to combustion so says the designers which sell them to the local tribes etc.

I'll be back with some links to stove comparisons.

Very interesting stuff. I have heard people say that backpacking stoves are too small to effectively burn woodgas. I've seen videos where you can see smoke swirling around in the firebox, but the flame above it is completely smokeless. Is it possible that backpacking hobo stoves are simply burning off the smoke and not the wood gas? (is that even possible?)

A lot of people claim these stoves run with less smoke - are they just full of it? Your tests used kiln dried wood so they might not necessarily be representative of what happens in the real world with damp wood. There's probably no good way to scientifically test "real world" conditions... I guess you just have to spend a lot of time playing around and getting a feel for the stoves.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++