WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Point

Images

Question Breaking Point

To everyone that toyed with a thru and then finally did one... what the deciding factor for you? What made you decided to give up your home life for 6 months to hike. What made you decide to quit your job, move from friends and family, etc. I was just wondering because I'm pretty sure I'm close to mine, just not feeling life in general any more. I've been talking about a thru for a while but it seems like something always comes up. How did you know when it was the right time?

Journal Entries
    Images

Just go... be a little impulsive - don't have regrets and have a damn goal... Work up to it over this winter - you are close enough... Its the treadmill you cannot leave.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries

You sound as if you are searching for a reason to go hike.

Have you searched for a reason NOT to go?

Images

I put an entry in my 2003 journal that said...."to me, the saddest phrase I've ever heard is when someone says, "I wish I had......" So many people say that and don't follow through on a dream and regret it later on. If you have the chance, go for it. Even if you don't finish, it's something you'll always remember.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Journal Entries
    Images

I planned for two years to do a thru-hike for 2005 that got put off due to accidents that needed long term physical therapy with my children. A year ago I was diaganosed with spinal tumors the doctors have given me 30% chance of being able to walk after surgery that I put off for my thru-hike for 2013. Not everyone has a last chance to do this but for me it might be my last chance. And if God is willing I will be there March of 2013 with two of my children who are older now and still want to complete it with me.
    Not everybody hikes for the same reasons. It's always been a dream and I'm not going to let it get away this time.

You just have to find the reason that you want it, don't make excuses for not doing it. If it is what you really want.

Journal Entries

if youre going to do it then do it. stop making excuses and start living with meaning and substance. stop accepting the obstacles in your life and look at them as challenges. i dropped everything and with in 1 month was on the trail from GA to Me for 4 months. i have no regrets. to many people today whine about why they cant do something. stop whining and get off your ars and do something. make it count.

Images

Great question...even greater responses.

Journal Entries

starbright. you just inspired me!

forme, the process was backwards. I left a job that I didn't like, thought about what I wanted to do next, then decided to thru-hike. If you had told me a year earlier that I would be on the AT the following spring I would have thought you were crazy. Yea, you will miss home and family for 4-6 months but you will have no regrets by at least attempting to thru-hike if you are the least bit interested (which of course you are oor you wouldn't be here.)

GA-ME 2011
    Images

It's something I always wanted to do so when I retired a decided to do it while I still could.
    Goal #2 is to complete the AT by section hiking. I'm half way there.
    If you love hiking it's not a question of "If" but "When".
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

I don't consider it the "breaking point." Rather, I consider it the freedom point--the point at which I became willing to open my hand and ungrasp the things that I'm squeezing so tightly that they're preventing me from achieving a dream.

Journal Entries

Karma13, that is a great point. one really has to learn to let go of their everday lives and material items and learn to take hold of themselves. freedom is def the right word.

Images

And it's scary!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You sound as if you are searching for a reason to go hike.

Have you searched for a reason NOT to go?
    ^^ Voted for best response.

I feel the same way EJC. Regardless of your mentality on life, etc. theres always going to be concerns and things that will scare you while making a decision like this. It IS a HUGE decision that could greatly impact your life (both positive and negative). My 'concern' is my job. I have a good job that I don't like. I CAN leave but what happens when I come back? I work in a very niche industry and finding another position may be very difficult... but do I let this hold back my dreams? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.... I feel your pain brotha.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

for the adventure and the education.
    Gradual Change You Can Believe in.

Live deliberately.

[QUOTE=EJC;1347309] , just not feeling life in general any more. QUOTE]

I believe you'll find the answer in your posting. I suggest you find and read Marta's signature line, it's the best advice you'll get from this site.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    To everyone that toyed with a thru and then finally did one... what the deciding factor for you? What made you decided to give up your home life for 6 months to hike. ... I was just wondering because I'm pretty sure I'm close to mine, just not feeling life in general any more. I've been talking about a thru for a while but it seems like something always comes up. How did you know when it was the right time?
    EJC, if you haven't already seen Tuts's vids from his thru on YouTube, they're excellent. And his first one, his prologue, sounds like he was in a situation similar to yours. That video is here. Maybe he's got some input for you in there.

In fact, now that you've reminded me, I might have to go through and watch his stuff again.

Images

Thanks for the input everyone. Starbright- you are a huge inspiration. Congrats on your decision to hike! I'm checking out Tut's video as we speak

Images

[QUOTE=Drybones;1347626]
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    , just not feeling life in general any more. QUOTE]

I believe you'll find the answer in your posting. I suggest you find and read Marta's signature line, it's the best advice you'll get from this site.
    You can thank Mark Twain for that sage advice.

My "breaking point" was the death from cancer of my husband's younger brother. Which drove home the message that you can't put things off indefinitely.

But one always has to walk that line between living as though you're going to die tomorrow, and living so that if you don't die you won't wake up hung over, broke, pestilentially infected, and sleeping in the sidewalk.

In other words, find that balance between living for today and living for tomorrow.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I think you hit the nail on the head for me, i LOVE my job, my marriage is pretty great, nice lil home in atlanta, crappy truck, great dog...all THINGS. I too have sorta "lost myself" in the possesions, responsibilities, and theres ALWAYS an excuse.

I had a financial set back this past year, but back on track. My wife is actually very supportive, and has helped me shop for my gear, the tough part is leaving a dream job. Yes the trail will always be there, but i may now!

Best of luck!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++