WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hiking Poles 1 pole or 2?

I keep reading where some people take only one pole and some recomend two poles. Have gotten one for each of us at this point but wondering if I should go ahead and get two for each of us.
    Please help

Journal Entries

i hike with two. 2 poles propel me uphill and guide me on the downhills when my legs are tired. i feel awkward and out of step when i have to use just one. i hike faster and more sturdy with 2 poles. also my balance is significantly improved. also, it does not matter how fancy the poles are. the cheap ones are just fine. i have used both the uber expensive and the very cheap. both work just fine. i have never broke the cheap pones but have busted a few expensive ones. i would recommend two.

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    i hike with two. 2 poles propel me uphill and guide me on the downhills when my legs are tired. i feel awkward and out of step when i have to use just one. i hike faster and more sturdy with 2 poles. also my balance is significantly improved. also, it does not matter how fancy the poles are. the cheap ones are just fine. i have used both the uber expensive and the very cheap. both work just fine. i have never broke the cheap pones but have busted a few expensive ones. i would recommend two.
    Yuuuuuuuuup
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I hike with two poles. Besides the obvious they give both hands something to do so they don't swell.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Images

I'm a "one stick" hiker, I try to switch back and forth, but probably 75% of the time my trekking pole is in my right hand. I've tried the two-pole thing, just don't want that much "action" with my arms. One pole is a perfect balance for me. For the AT, I'll probably bring both along though (they are only 4.6 ounces each), using both for those really tough uphills.

No poles work best for me. They don't do anything for you. It's a big myth that most hikers embrace. They are like bear bells and snake bite kits. There is no evidence that they will take any stress from any body part you have or that they will keep you from falling or that you will make it up, or down the hill any better. It gives you something else to trip over and ties up your hands so you can't break your fall. It's all hype pushed my the sporting goods industry. It's an extra pound you carry. Embrace your humanity, You are a bi-ped. It does look cool in the photos to have 2 poles, so if you want to make the cover of backpacker magazine...

Garlic
    Images

It depends on the trail, for me. The AT was one of my last long distance hikes, and the first time I used two poles, and I was glad I did.

Prior to that, I was a one-pole hiker. That was convenient on trails where I had to use maps and compass, to have a free hand. No such concern on the AT, just follow the white blazes.

I normally do not use poles at all unless I'm going out overnight with a pack.

I think poles are generally useful, in my experience. Be aware, however, there is a learning curve to properly use the poles. If the poles are just along for the ride, it's a waste. If you're a nordic skier, it will be obvious except for the sticks bouncing off bushes and back between your knees. If you trip on your poles once, you might actually fall behind in their benefits, so to speak. That's what Moldy is referring to and there's definitely some truth in that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

moldy, i completely disagree with you. everyone has their own opinion though. while in the military (14years) i did plenty of miles with a full pack and no poles. recreation hiked for 10 years with no poles and then got a set and have never looked back. my knees, back, feet and neck feel better with them than without. i am all about hiking smarter for me and poles work for me. if it were not for the poles i know i would not have finished my thru hike. each person needs to find what works for them and listen to their bodies needs.

Everyones different... but this guy here uses two poles! I find two poles to be better for me as far as balancing, pushing forward, etc. I have tried hiking with one pole before but I just felt awkward with my other hand being free and having nothing to do with it.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Two poles for me when I am carrying a pack. I tried one pole, but I really felt out of synch. I also use them to put up my tent.

People all over the world for many centuries have been using some type of walking stick so I do not believe that people use them today solely in response to hype from the sports industry.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

2 for me. I'd like to thank the sporting goods industry for pushing them on me, I don't think I would have finished without them.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    moldy, i completely disagree with you. everyone has their own opinion though. while in the military (14years) i did plenty of miles with a full pack and no poles. recreation hiked for 10 years with no poles and then got a set and have never looked back. my knees, back, feet and neck feel better with them than without. i am all about hiking smarter for me and poles work for me. if it were not for the poles i know i would not have finished my thru hike. each person needs to find what works for them and listen to their bodies needs.
    Agreed. All those people you see out there using them? They aren't doing it because 'everyone else is'. I will never stop using mine, I totally notice the difference when I use them. Oh, and they hold up my shelter too.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Use two poles.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

My own personal evidence from experience is 2 poles are necessary for my hiking enjoyment.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Two poles your knees will thank you.

I started my hike with one wooden stick, somewhere before Franklin, my left knee started to hurt. Got a knee brace in Franklin, not much good. One day another hiker said " pick up another stick " I did soon the pain was gone and I completed hike with two sticks. Now have regular poles and have never xperienced that knee pain.

I use two poles. One of my Leki's gave up on me the last two weeks of my hike and i definitely missed it. Much more difficult fording in Maine.

Images

I've gone to two too. (had to be said.)

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    No poles work best for me. They don't do anything for you. It's a big myth that most hikers embrace. They are like bear bells and snake bite kits. There is no evidence that they will take any stress from any body part you have or that they will keep you from falling or that you will make it up, or down the hill any better. It gives you something else to trip over and ties up your hands so you can't break your fall. It's all hype pushed my the sporting goods industry. It's an extra pound you carry. Embrace your humanity, You are a bi-ped. It does look cool in the photos to have 2 poles, so if you want to make the cover of backpacker magazine...
    "moldy has not made any friends yet " hehe your profile says it all.

Just because you are too uncoordinated to use them doesn't mean that thousands of other people... including some of the best long distance hikers in the world.. don't get benefits from them.

my evidence is that my knees don't hurt after downhills with them and i don't fall over while moving fast over uneven terrain. i don't use straps and my hands are already out in front of me in case i do fall. (you actually shouldn't try to put your arms out or back to catch yourself.. this is how you break your wrists or hurt your shoulders.. tuck and roll instead)

they also hold up my shelter..

And you will notice that us bi-peds get our asses handed to us by our 4 legged friends.. domesticated and wild on a regular basis. My friends husky made seriously challenging White Mountains descents look like a walk down the street. she also jump onto a chest high rock from 4' away without thinking about it.

please post up a picture when you end up slipping off a bog bridge into knee deep mud.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++